Author Topic: BNO055 - System not calibrating  (Read 1798 times)

Offline TurboTopic starter

BNO055 - System not calibrating
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:40 am »
Hi,

I am all new here, and actually came here because I cant seem to figure out this problem, some extra knowledge might come in handy!

I am using a BNO055 NDOF chip to measure the angle of a small "Segway" kind of thing, so just a reversed pendulum system,
but the euler angles have a MASSIVE amount of drift on them.
The measured angle of the robot just lying down ( so always the same ) can vary with as much as 5 degrees....
But, the system doesn't seem to fully calibrate, I can calibrate the magnetometer, the gyro and the accelero,
but the "system" calibration ( which is a calculation according to the datasheet ) stays 0, so not calibrated.
Has anyone here more knowledge about these sensors and why I can't seem to calibrate it?

Thanks in advance!
Sam

VUBrussels, MSc. Engineering Technologies - Electronics & ICT

Offline EBRAddict

• Contributor
Re: BNO055 - System not calibrating
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:04 pm »
I found once the mag, gyro and acc show as calibrated ( =3 ) the system usually follows in 1-2 seconds. I always stop moving the sensor once the 3 parts have calibrated, so maybe it needs to be at rest for the system calibration to show = 3. Double check to see if you're masking the calibration status register correctly.

I stopped using the BNO055 because of the calibration needs. Even if I loaded calibration constants from a prior "good" calibration it would stop accepting them over time. For my project it wasn't feasible to remove the sensor and re-calibrate it frequently.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf