Author Topic: I Bricked my Lattice programmer  (Read 14754 times)

Offline xuioTopic starter

• Contributor
I Bricked my Lattice programmer
« on: February 17, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »
Hi,

while trying to programm an MACHXO2-256HC, the diamond programmer software did not correctly recognize my FPGA. (screenshot attached)
I thought there was a problem with the JTAG-ID and tried to fix that by erasing the complete flash of the FPGA, but quickly recognized that i had just erased the flash of the programmers internal FPGA  :palm:

It would be really nice if someone, who has a similar programmer (HW-USBN-2B), could dump the firmware (Diamond Programmer -> Firmware tab -> Save exsisting Firmware) and send it to me, so I can un-brick my device.

Thank you for your help!  :)

Moritz

EDIT: the firmware files are now available at: http://www.latticesemi.com/cables
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:38:24 pm by xuio »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: I Bricked my Lattice programmer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »
This is the Lattice cable and not a clone right?  It's business hours right now, why not ask Lattice themselves?  techsupport@latticesemi.com  Also, are you sure there is no feature in the programming software to update the firmware?  I've had several cables I own update themselves when I start them from time to time to support new devices (Atmel Studio does this) because the manufacturer supplies new firmware from time to time to solve bugs and support new devices.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »
Yes this is an original cable. I have already submitted a ticket to the Lattice support system last thursday, but I haven't got an answer yet.

The Diamond Programmer software displays "WARNING - A new firmware version for this cable is available. Please visit the Lattice website and download and install the latest cable firmware.", but I couldn't find any firmware download on their website at all.

The software has a firmware tab for updating the cable, but you have to point it to a .jed file, no auto-update.

Moritz
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:31:01 pm by xuio »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
Got a reply from Lattice today:
Code: [Select]
Thank you for contacting Lattice Technical Support.
We have received your request and your email address is considered a public domain email address.
Your request is kept on hold in the Lattice Technical Support System and will be deleted in next 24 hours.

Thank you very much  :palm:

So I guess I'll have to buy another programmer.

If someone runs into the same problem, feel free to contact me and I'll send you the (proably outdated) firmware file.

Moritz

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:25 am »
Got a reply from Lattice today:
Code: [Select]
Thank you for contacting Lattice Technical Support.
We have received your request and your email address is considered a public domain email address.
Your request is kept on hold in the Lattice Technical Support System and will be deleted in next 24 hours.

Thank you very much  :palm:

So I guess I'll have to buy another programmer.

If someone runs into the same problem, feel free to contact me and I'll send you the (proably outdated) firmware file.

Moritz

If you can get the old programmer up and running again at least you have a backup, or maybe you can sell it on eBay.  Sorry this didn't work out so well for you.  I would call them on the phone and raise hell, but that's me.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
Update:
I was contacted by someone from Lattice this morning - they offered me a free replacement for my programmer, or to send me the firmware so i can un-brick my device.

Sadly, I already had ordered a second programmer, which arrived on monday and I was able to get my programmer up and running. So the money is gone anyway.

They should really put some donwload links on their website, or implement something inside the programmer software.
I was contacted yesterday by someone who ran into the same problem, so I think i'm not the first one with this problem.

Moritz
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:13:03 pm by xuio »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:33 am »
Update:
I was contacted by someone from Lattice this morning - they offered me a free replacement for my programmer, or to send me the firmware so i can un-brick my device.

Sadly, I already had ordered a second programmer, which arrived on monday and I was able to get my programmer up and running. So the money is gone anyway.

They should really put some donwload links on their website, or implement something inside the programmer software.
I was contacted yesterday by someone who ran into the same problem, so I think i'm not the first one with this problem.

Moritz

Well, unless you are contractually obligated not to do so, at least you can help the other guy out and get +1 Karma or whatever...

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:40:54 am »
Well, unless you are contractually obligated not to do so, at least you can help the other guy out and get +1 Karma or whatever...

Yes, I already have ;) he got his device up and running again.

Moritz
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:11:11 am by xuio »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:51:47 am »
Hi,

Nice that you have already found the firmware. If you are sucessful with your clone programmer, please post it in the forum.
If it doesn't work, I have a spare programmer, which I can offer you at a cheaper price, if you are interested.
Is there only an eeprom in the programmer? I thought this was only the case with the integrated programmers.

Moritz

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 11:40:00 pm »
FWIW I just got one of these Chinese clone Lattice programmers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251686578853

Works well - actually better than the original Lattice one I had, which had nasty captive leads and usually needed bodge caps on TCK to work reliably.

BTW last time I compared it, Lattice's standalone ISPVM software was about twice as fast than Diamond programmer - Diamond seems to sit doing nothing for a few secs before programming, which gets really annoying during development.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline ts-mp

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:37:51 pm »
This is the Lattice cable and not a clone right?  It's business hours right now, why not ask Lattice themselves?  techsupport@latticesemi.com  Also, are you sure there is no feature in the programming software to update the firmware?  I've had several cables I own update themselves when I start them from time to time to support new devices (Atmel Studio does this) because the manufacturer supplies new firmware from time to time to solve bugs and support new devices.

On the note of emailing lattice support, I'm having the same problem as the OP, but I emailed them.  This is what came back.

My frustration level right now is indescribable.

Offline ts-mp

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:50:57 pm »
The information in this thread implies I might be able to de-lobotomize my programmer myself, but I'm having a hard time sorting the details on how this is done.  I have the firmware, but am not certain how to program the device with it while the device is bricked... I'm probably just being dense.  If anyone can spell it out for me I'd appreciate it.

Offline ts-mp

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »
Thanks for that.  I'd actually already obtained the programmer from FTDI and flashed the new XML, that part seems to work fine, but when I get into the Diamond Programmer, I just keep getting the latter part of this:
<paste start>
WARNING - A new firmware version for this cable is available. Please visit the Lattice website and download and install the latest cable firmware.
Lattice VM Drivers detected (HW-DLN-3C (Parallel), HW-USBN-2B (FTDI))
Programmer device database loaded
INFO - Scanning USB2 Port FTUSB-0...
ERROR - Scan Failed - Creating Blank Programmer Project.
ERROR - Failed to Open FTDI USB port. Make sure to select the right cable type.
If you have not installed the FTDI Windows USB Driver, follow the instructions in the Programmer Help topic:
"Installing/Uninstalling Parallel Port Driver and USB Driver".
If you have installed the driver, if you recently plugged in the cable, please wait a few seconds and try again.
This will give the operating system time to recognize the cable.
<paste end>

... with that last bit about failing to open the port repeating for every action I attempt.  It feels like a driver problem, but the FTDI utility doesn't seem to have a problem, so I'm at a loss.

I notice I'm a couple Diamond versions behind so I'm downloading the latest (3.5) right now.  I'll post an update if anything changes.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline ts-mp

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 07:06:19 pm »
Success!  Thanks for the help.  There were two tricks to this: 

First, use the Diamond Programmer and "create a blank project" <--- that's important otherwise it'll try to detect the cable and break itself.  In Diamond 3.3 it would just fail to work.  In Diamond 3.5 it actually crashes the programmer.
Second, go straight to firmware and don't "detect" anything.  Give it the firmware and tell it to update.  If it tries to detect then it'll break again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf