Author Topic: Can I use IP cores from one vendor on another vendor’s chip?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Can I use IP cores from one vendor on another vendor’s chip?
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:23:07 am »
For example, with my Microchip Libero license it came with a 8051 soft IP core. Can I borrow that for use on my Intel Cyclone IV chip and Quartus platform?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Can I use IP cores from one vendor on another vendor’s chip?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:45:42 pm »
Not legally!  Every IP I have ever seen comes with the admonition that it is to be used on the vendor's parts only.
If all you have is the netlist (perhaps encrypted), it won't work anyway and if it uses proprietary features it is even less likely to work.
Something as trivial as the 8051 would be easy enough to recreate.  Here's one example:

https://opencores.org/projects/8051

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
For example, with my Microchip Libero license it came with a 8051 soft IP core. Can I borrow that for use on my Intel Cyclone IV chip and Quartus platform?

I have no clue what kind of rights they grant you with the Libero license. The 8051 IP is a licensable one and I'm thinking you may just get an evaluation license of the core with Libero, so even on Microsemi FPGAs you may not be granted the right to use it for commercial purposes without actually buying a specific license? The simpler approach would obviously be to ask them directly.

I must admit their web site is a bit crappy.

https://soc.microsemi.com/products/ip/search/detail.aspx?id=541

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:30:56 pm »
Occasionally, but most of the fancier IP cores are written such that they directly instantiate hardware in the FPGA, so trying to use it on another vendor's product doesn't work.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:53:30 pm »

I have no clue what kind of rights they grant you with the Libero license. The 8051 IP is a licensable one and I'm thinking you may just get an evaluation license of the core with Libero, so even on Microsemi FPGAs you may not be granted the right to use it for commercial purposes without actually buying a specific license? The simpler approach would obviously be to ask them directly.

I must admit their web site is a bit crappy.

I used the Microsemi 8051 core in a commercial design and it was free for that use, as was the M1 core that they offer. (The M1 only works in the M1-specific variants of the parts.) I used the free version of their tools for the implementation.

The processor ran at 20 MHz and had no problems meeting that timing in a ProASIC-3L device.

The Core8051S as supplied with Libero 11.8 is not encrypted and the VHDL is actually easily understood. I have not tried to use it with another vendor's devices.

All of that said, I'm pretty sure Microsemi's (Microchip) license might forbid such use.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:00:11 pm »
I used the Microsemi 8051 core in a commercial design and it was free for that use, as was the M1 core that they offer. (The M1 only works in the M1-specific variants of the parts.) I used the free version of their tools for the implementation.

Alright then. I'd be interested in seeing the exact license terms. Can't find them on the crappy Microsemi website. ;D
And I currently have no Libero install to dig into...

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:17 pm »
There are plenty of good officially free to use soft cores around. Unless you particularity love programming the 8051?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:45:53 am »

Alright then. I'd be interested in seeing the exact license terms. Can't find them on the crappy Microsemi website. ;D
And I currently have no Libero install to dig into...

Yeah, their website is, and has always been, a mess. Links rarely work. When I started that project (which was five years ago!) the FAE assured us that the core was free for our use.

But see here. The 8051 cores (there are two) are listed under "DirectCore," and it says "most DirectCores are available free within the Libero tool suite." Click "Processors."

You'll see the two 8051 cores, Core8051 and Core8051s. The former has an "Evaluation" link. The latter does not. This means that you have to buy and license Core8051 for your use. I have not looked into that any further. The Core8051s is available for you to use in any design and there's no other licensing or fees required.

Open Libero SoC and create or open a project. The Core8051s is available in the IP Catalog tab of the Libero screen. It has a green key icon next to the name, indicating that it's fully licensed for you to use. Core8051 is not even listed, unless you download it and add it to the catalog.

There are differences between the two. The Core8051 is much closer to the classic 8051 -- it has the same interrupt structure, timers, UART and I/O ports. The Core8051s dispenses with the peripherals and I/O ports and instead has an APB interface through which you can add your own peripherals. It also has only two interrupts.

This means that if you have code for an existing 8051 design which relies on the original peripherals, you have to use (and pay for) the Core8051. If you're starting from scratch, you can use the Core8051s and roll your own peripherals, so for example you can use an SPI master (or five, if you like) or any wacky thing you like. You just add an APB interface to it, and accessing the APB is done by declaring things to be in XDATA space. The interrupt thing is handled by building your own interrupt controller.

The Core8051s requires an external memory for program storage, so I used a parallel flash device. Their SoftConsole IDE (based on Eclipse, of course) uses sdcc for the compiler and can also program the processor's flash as well as debug, both over JTAG from the FlashPro.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:26:45 am »
There are plenty of good officially free to use soft cores around. Unless you particularity love programming the 8051?
I am using Microsemi's Core8051s as an example of the use case here.

Occasionally, but most of the fancier IP cores are written such that they directly instantiate hardware in the FPGA, so trying to use it on another vendor's product doesn't work.
What about the IP ores provided as unobfuscated HDL? For example a lot of Microsemi's IP cores are provided that way, also the Mobile SDRAM controller from Intel MAX II CPLD application note etc. (I even have the free but obfuscated Cortex-M0 from ARM.)

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 03:40:17 am »
I am using Microsemi's Core8051s as an example of the use case here.

I would be surprised if they allow you to use it in an SoC or on someone else's FPGA. But, as it says here, ask them...

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 04:17:53 pm »
Sometimes there is a copyright notice in the source files that lists the terms and conditions.  I don't know if that applies in this case but maybe.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:59 pm »
Technically, if it works, why not? Licenses are written on paper, and the target chip cannot read that paper. Beware, some lawyers might be able read and understand that paper. ;)
Otherwise, if you want to make money from your platform, I'd consider borrowing that core unfair.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:14:30 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 07:35:19 pm »
Technically, if it works, why not? Licenses are written on paper, and the target chip cannot read that paper. Beware, some lawyers might be able read and understand that paper. ;)
Otherwise, if you want to make money from your platform, I'd consider borrowing that core unfair.
I am talking experiments here. For any projects intended to be released I will come clean with the licenses of the released tools.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 07:51:23 pm »
Well if it's just for experimenting and not releasing, I don't see why you couldn't do it. If they give unobfuscated source code, you can do whatever you want with it as long as you don't share what you did IMO. Experimenting with the code or just reading it doesn't make any difference to me. And if they don't want you to read it, they wouldn't release it in clear.

It's a bit as if some company gave you a book for free and legally prevented you from reading it. Wouldn't make any sense, unless they wanted you to become schizophrenic ;D. (Not that some of our laws don't tend towards this though...)

Now it could (and usually does) prevent you from sharing it with others. So that's how I would consider this here. Your opinion may vary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf