Author Topic: Can't install AVR Studio. Srsly?  (Read 6653 times)

Offline T3sl4co1lTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Can't install AVR Studio. Srsly?
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:38:00 am »
So I want to poke an AVR8.  Simple enough, right?  Checklist: GCC, headers, whatever chip-specific configs are needed, an IDE or editor, and programmer and drivers.

So, since Studio 5 or thereabouts, they bloated the fucking thing with Visual Studio.  800 megs just for poking MCUs.  Great.

Well I've had that installed before, didn't touch it for a while, and now it doesn't work.  Tried repairing, tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I get "Error 997. Overlapped I/O Operation is in progress" when MSVS tries to begin installing.  Great.

Can't even begin to install Studio 7, because it is eight motherfucking gigabytes, five of which is non-negotiably on the C: drive, that I can't expand the partition of.

And yes, my machine has a history of hacks on top of hacks.  It would at least be nice if the installers at least said what's missing, but in standard software fashion... obscure errors or silent failures, yep.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Can't install AVR Studio. Srsly?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:19:01 am »
Doesn't seem like the idea.  My error is much more cryptic (as ironic as that sounds, compared to cryptography):

Code: [Select]
The description for Event ID 10997 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated) - ENU -- Error 997.Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Edit: it seems I don't even have KB2918614  and KB3000988 installed, anyway?

Tim
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:57:04 am by T3sl4co1l »

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:04:47 am »
If you have hacks on hacks on your machine then it's clearly time for full reinstall.
Other than that I'd say download the latest installer and try with that.

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:27 am »
If you have hacks on hacks on your machine then it's clearly time for full reinstall.
Other than that I'd say download the latest installer and try with that.

7.0 doesn't work as mentioned.

Full reinstall would take way, way more time to get back into an operating condition.  Are you volunteering your time and effort to record all my installed programs and configurations, and put them back as they are now?  Didn't think so... ;D

Tim

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 06:51:29 am »

Full reinstall would take way, way more time to get back into an operating condition.  Are you volunteering your time and effort to record all my installed programs and configurations, and put them back as they are now?  Didn't think so... ;D

Tim
It's an investment into all those next times you don't have to muck about and a nice clean-up to boot.

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:03 am »
Regarding reinstalling:   :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Now that I feel better.....I also stumbled on this
The fix of this issue is to rename c:\program data\microsoft\crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 and try re-installation of .net again.

Ignore the .net part of course :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 07:00:44 am »
Tim,

You can go for AVRStudio v7.0.1188 (it's a direct link), which was the last ATMEL release before Microchip started overbloating -the already bloated- AS7 with their own garbage since AS v7.0.1417...

You can find most of the official AVRStudio releases here.

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 07:40:10 am »

Tim
It's an investment into all those next times you don't have to muck about and a nice clean-up to boot.

How much would you quote for that?  $1000?  I'll do that right now, if you come over here and deliver within 3 days (seems reasonable) what I've described!

Tim

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 07:50:31 am »
You could always use a second disk drive for dual boot or a virtual machine.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:51:10 am »
Regarding reinstalling:   :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Now that I feel better.....I also stumbled on this
The fix of this issue is to rename c:\program data\microsoft\crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 and try re-installation of .net again.

Ignore the .net part of course :)

S-1-5-18, as the name suggests, is owned by SYSTEM.  That sounds like a very bad idea.

You can go for AVRStudio v7.0.1188 (it's a direct link), which was the last ATMEL release before Microchip started overbloating -the already bloated- AS7 with their own garbage since AS v7.0.1417...

Nope, needs twice the C: space I have (and that's not counting the breathing room Windows already uses on a regular basis).  Also says I need KB3033929, which... sounds like something I should already have installed, but I don't actually see it in the list?  (FYI, I don't screw with Windows Update, except one time, to remove that stupid Win10 upgrade BS.  Nothing old is showing as pending.)

Tim

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 07:53:20 am »
You could always use a second disk drive for dual boot or a virtual machine.

Tempting.  It occurred to me that I can encapsulate a PC inside a single file (or folder structure).  But as I don't use VMs right now, that would be a lot of effort to go to.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth it... :palm:

Tim

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:41 am »
Not using AVR studio is another option.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 08:09:04 am »
How much would you quote for that?  $1000?  I'll do that right now, if you come over here and deliver within 3 days (seems reasonable) what I've described!

Tim
If you cared that much about your configuration and depend on it you would have made sure to both properly backup things and document your configuration. You haven't, so it doesn't seem to be that critical. Reinstalling shouldn't be an issue.

I'll provide you with a fresh Windows installation, no problem. Make sure to put enough stamps on the package and wire me my $5000 quick turnaround fee posthaste. ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:15 am »
S-1-5-18, as the name suggests, is owned by SYSTEM.  That sounds like a very bad idea.

Nope, needs twice the C: space I have (and that's not counting the breathing room Windows already uses on a regular basis).  Also says I need KB3033929, which... sounds like something I should already have installed, but I don't actually see it in the list?  (FYI, I don't screw with Windows Update, except one time, to remove that stupid Win10 upgrade BS.  Nothing old is showing as pending.)

Tim
It being in "program data" suggests that it's generated by an installed program. If it would have been in your Windows folder I'd tread more carefully.

Not all the updates shows up in the GUI list. You can check by using console commands and also uninstall what you require.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/edaac7af-d67f-4162-85ec-c24a78edaf03/commandprompt-to-check-installed-windows-updates?forum=winserverManagement

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 09:31:09 am »
Nope, needs twice the C: space I have (and that's not counting the breathing room Windows already uses on a regular basis).
Sometimes a large amount of space on C: is taken in the user profile by things that could be moved elsewhere.
There are several way to free up space in the profile (of course if you have the space on another disk!):
  • The location of the standard Documents, Downloads, Pictures libraries can be changed to another disk (rigth click, Location tab)
  • Same with the OneDrive location, if you are using it.
  • Things like the STM32CubeMX like to store their repositories in the user directory, the location is sometimes possible to change in the program itself, check for this.
  • The same goes for other programs using the %APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% directories.

For the last two points, where usually the SW does not make it easy to change paths, I use a symbolic link to a directory on another disk: till now I've encountered no problems with the programs I use.

Creating a symbolic link is easy in PowerShell:
  • Start an administrator PowerShell
  • Move where you need to create the link
  • Issue: New-Item -Name link_name -type SymbolicLink -Target path_to_target
  • Alternatively, you can use the MKLINK utility (but I don't remember the syntax, might even be easier).
ETA: Tried MKLINK: can be used from non-adm cmd windows, but remember to specify /D, otherwise the wrong kind of link will be created.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:59:55 am by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: Fire Doger

Offline pyroesp

• Regular Contributor
    • Nicolas Electronics
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 09:50:22 am »
I seem to remember having used Code::Blocks IDE to develop on AVR (with integration of avrdude to flash ?).
Maybe something you could look at Tim?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:04:34 am by pyroesp »

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 09:56:19 am »

Here is the source with a couple fo alternatives to renaming the folder. Still it sounds better than everything else I've read so far :)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/error-997-overlapped-io-operation-0x80070643-fatal/b5d82246-f078-473c-8a4e-7d93d26e9b60

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:07 am »
Sometimes a large amount of space on C: is taken in the user profile by things that could be moved elsewhere.
There are several way to free up space in the profile (of course if you have the space on another disk!):

I've already unloaded several system folders this way, using MKLINK and registry edits to cover them as well as possible.  Including "Program Files (x86)".

I have plenty of free space on the other partition, but it's too fragmented to shrink, hence the hacks.

There doesn't appear to be any [documented] way to make MSVS not use C.

I wonder if Eclipse, say, is easy to set up with external tools?  Been a while since I used that too, but it was nice, at least back then.

Tim

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:01 am »

Tim
Ah, bummer!

This was the exact reason why I was recently forced to replace my nine-years old (and still more than powerful machine for my needs) workstation's system SSD with one of double the space of the previous one, even though the former one had not yet exceeded a merely 15% of its life endurance during the last 3 years it replaced its exhausted predecessor...

And, all this, by (demonstratively, perhaps!) ignoring the fact that I have already in hand a complete liquid-cooled i7-8700K/12M Cache with an initial amount of 32G RAM setup collecting dust for the last 4-5 months, waiting for me to find the time (and the guts...) to migrate my perfectly working system to the new hardware... You see, you cannot easily make the decision to go for an overhaul if it is still working as it should --even if the new engine is about an order of magnitude more powerful and/or notably more efficient than the older one currently in use...

Regarding Windows Update I could not care less because, since my initial castration of the Win7 SP1 installation (which is being thoroughly protected by a third party firewall [Comodo v5.10(!), with is anti-virus enabled on demand only(!)]) I have not yet seen the slightest so-called 'security' problem --even though the machine is on-line on a 24/7 basis while I can sporadically see its very active protection logs.

-George
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:27:22 am by A Hellene »

Offline pyroesp

• Regular Contributor
    • Nicolas Electronics
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 10:29:00 am »
I just tried setting Code::Blocks again for AVR and it took 10min, using WinAVR to install avr-gcc and co.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:46 am »
So I want to poke an AVR8.  Simple enough, right?  Checklist: GCC, headers, whatever chip-specific configs are needed, an IDE or editor, and programmer and drivers.
Well, you could install the Arduino IDE.  Comes with a relatively recent compiler, avr-libc, and avrdude, and an IDE that no one really likes very much.  (and a bunch of "dumbed down" libraries that you can ignore.)  Can be installed in "portable" mode that'll live on any disk drive (including USB, or the SD card on those baby netbooks.)

Use this hack to set up a command-line environment paths: https://hackaday.io/project/19935-install-avr-tools

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »
Seems I don't need paths at all.  I've installed Code::Blocks 17.12, directed it to the AVR-GCC I already had installed (from past AVR Studio(s)), and added AVRDude for programming.  One rub: AVRDude doesn't understand the Jungo USB driver.  I found libusb-win32 1.2.6.0, which includes an INF creator and the USB shim driver, which installs easily over the AVRISPMKII I'm using.  Huzzah, it talks to chips.

All together, the process is:
- Install Code::Blocks
- Under Compiler settings, select "GNU GCC Compiler for AVR"
- Under Search directories tab, for each sub-tab (Compiler, Linker, Resource compiler), add a path: "E:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Toolchain\AVR8 GCC\Native\3.4.1061\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin" (or wherever it's installed, and whatever version)
- Under Toolchain executables tab, set the installation directory "E:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Toolchain\AVR8 GCC\Native\3.4.1061\avr8-gnu-toolchain" (or whatever, again).  All the EXE names should be correct by default.
- Make sure the project build settings are correct for your target (namely, compiler flags)
- Add a user-defined tool option (I used the Tools Plus plugin for this).  Tool name: "AVRDude - Flash", Command Line: "E:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Toolchain\avrdude\avrdude.exe -p $(CPU_CORE) -c AVRISPMKII -U flash:w:$(TARGET_OUTPUT_FILE):e", Output to: Tools window.

Note the use of a user-defined project variable CPU_CORE (e.g. ="m32").  I set this up under Project Build Options, as well as "MCU" (e.g. ="atmega32"), and set the compiler flag with it (Other Compiler Options sub-tab, "-mmcu=$(MCU)" -- do not tick any MCU options on the flags sub-tab).  Seems general/useful enough.

Now, to re-familiarize myself with the unseemly details of C... ::) ;D

Tim

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 05:59:39 pm »
 I don't understand why anyone using Windows sets up small C drives. We all (well, anyone that uses Windows regularly, anyway) know that some applications are just idiotically stubborn and refuse to allow changing the destination to anything but C:. That said, I got away with a 120GB SSD as my C drive for a long long time, and that's with Windows, all of Office, including Access and Visio, Visual Studio, and other things, installed - and still had 30-40% free.  My work laptop has a 256GB SSD as C, for Windows 10, Office, etc, plus SQL Server and lots of other tools I use regularly. I have a second drive for downloads, VMs,  and all that sort of thing. Using, as of right now, 153GB of 237GB available. I have VS2017 installed, because I program more than just micros, but I also only have VB and C++ selected out of the languages, to keep the size down, plus I don;t use the others.
 I regularly see people build servers and put a 25-40GB C drive on them, then run out of space and kill their entire server. Despite having plenty free space available in their storage environments. That may have worked fine in Windows 2003/XP and older, but newer versions absolutely need larger space.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 06:34:55 pm »
I have to agree.  ~1TB SSDs are like $200 now, and 500GB around half that.  Absolutely worth the money for any machine that does software development or CAD IMO.  As a bonus, it's stupidly easy to migrate a drive these days.  I upgraded my laptop recently, and was expecting to have to go through a bunch of hassle with a creating a boot disc and dealing with command line tools and a few hours of babysitting.  Nope!  Ran the free version of Macrium FROM WINDOWS to clone the working drive onto the new SSD and was done in a couple of clicks and like 90 minutes of waiting, including expanding the main partition to fill the larger drive.  I was stunned at how easy it was compared to the last time I migrated a system drive.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 09:01:02 pm »
I don't understand why anyone using Windows sets up small C drives.

Because what used to be C:, was shrunk to create a new partition, for dual booting.  In the new OS, the new (small) partition became C:, and the original became E:.

The great thing about evolution is, you don't have to understand it, or even accept that it works, for it to exist. ;D

Tim

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:18 am »
VMs and multi-boot systems are swell, but they consume disk space even faster than video :-(

Offline hackinblack

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 05:56:15 pm »
when i upgraded the HDD on my 'newer' Win10 PC, i plugged in an external USB drive to fool the software into thinking it was an WD one i was installing (found a silly cheap Toshiba drive in, of all places, a supermarket!) and used WD's own free software to copy everything onto the new vastly bigger drive; it took less than 30 minutes, and ran beautifully...faster than installing windoze.
I hate Atmel studio v6+ so much, i still have AVR studio v4 on this PC! didn't even bother installing it on my laptop; it would fill the entire drive with things i will never need. having to register just to download an IDE? you must be joking.

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:00 am »
AFAIK since microchip took over you don't need to register anymore to download. At least I downloaded the installer a few days ago and it didn't ask me to sign in

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 08:35:11 am »
I don't remember having to register anything in the last ten years?

Tim

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
Member 'hackinblack' has a valid point, since I am still using the lightweight and hassle-free AVR Studio v4.19.730 wherever I use an AVR part supported by this piece of software.

-George

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf