Author Topic: Cheap PSoC4 progremmer  (Read 33122 times)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheap PSoC4 progremmer
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
Still no date on this, which includes miniprog3 http://www.cypress.com/?rID=102638

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:36 am »
looks like the 5LP kit is in stock again, the availability changed sometime tonight: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=108038

I ordered 5 of them - they showed up yesterday.  I have meetings most of tomorrow so won't get to play until the weekend but they look good!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:23 pm »
aaand out of stock again :D that was fast

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2015, 07:36:14 am »
I remember reading that you can designate an I/O as a clock input - which integrates with the standard clocking system:

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=40990

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2015, 07:51:16 am »
looks like the 5LP kit is in stock again, the availability changed sometime tonight: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=108038

I ordered 5 of them - they showed up yesterday.  I have meetings most of tomorrow so won't get to play until the weekend but they look good!

I ordered three, but FedEx is holding them, because I choose economy shipping $25 instead of $35, and because of that, they will be hold in the country in an container for two extra day.. :(, so I get them tomorrow, instead of yesterday when they where ready for delivery.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2015, 08:05:21 am »
If it's any compensation I did order mine on March 7th and didn't get them until April 23rd :)

Edit: And since I've been busy I probably wont get to play with them until this coming weekend anyways.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:29 am »
Yeah, it will be here soon enough, just find it funny that they are sitting on it..

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »
Anybody got it?

8 days passed but still:

Shipped On: April 20, 2015
This item is in-transit to the U.S. from our factory. Please check back for final delivery information
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:21:18 pm by Evi »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:33 pm »
I got everything else I ordered, but not the -059 kits.. obviously they sent me 3 packages, and I got one trackingnumber..  are hunting for the last number now, so I can check where that one is.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:44 pm »
I ordered some of these -059 PSOC 5 boards from Digikey and received them yesterday.
Having play with one of them they do seem to work well.

My comments so far:

- They bring all the I/O pins available (other than the USB pins) to the header.

- Programming and debugging works quite well except for the attach to running target option, this seems to get the debugger chip in to a state where it has to be powered down and up to work again.

- There is a reset switch on the debugger (kitprog) part of the board that only resets the target chip, so to reset the kitprog chip you have to disconnect all power. There is a place on the target chip part of the board for a reset switch so that when you break it away from the kitprog board you can add the reset switch.

- As someone already mentioned, it's a shame they did not add a place for a crystal and the load capacitors.

- You actually get 2 PSOC 5 boards as the kitprog uses a PSOC 5 also. They have not connected the pins that would allow it to be reprogrammed via a programmer. It can be reprogrammed via the boot loader but I would have much preferred if they had provided access to the programming pins. It could then be used as a non bootloadable device.

- The PSOC 5LP is meant to be able to run at 80MHZ but I could only get it to compile with a maximum frequency of 76.8 or 79.5MHZ with USB turned on. This is due to the internal clock inaccuracy. If a crystal is used then the full 80MHZ can be set.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 05:26:43 pm »
how close does the crystal needs to be to the pins? I know ideally they should be right at the pin but P15_0 P15_1 are very close to the chip, as well as for the RTC xtal on pins P15_2 & P15_3

As for the kitprog part, well I guess you can always make a board and transplant the chip :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:28:35 pm by miguelvp »

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:57 pm »
The data sheet indicates the crystal should be very close to the chip but I guess it would probably work with a lower frequency crystal. The best option would be to use a oscillator module and feed it in to the crystal input pin or you can use one of the GPIO pins and set it up as a digital signal clock which can then be used as a source for the other clocks.
I'm not too concerned about the kitprog board not having the programmer connections, but it would have been a bonus if it had.

The more I look at these PSOC microcontrollers the more I find new features. I also find PSOC creator reasonable easy to work with. 

Offline cypress.pmad

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 11:34:30 pm »
1. SWDIO and SWDCLK pins are also multiplexed on D+ and D- lines of the PSoC 5LP device. Thus, you can use the PCB USB header of the KitProg along with the XRES signal (connected to R1 and C2) to program the PSoC 5LP device.

2. The next version of the CY8CKIT-059, which will start shipping in a couple of weeks, will have the load capacitors for external 32kHz crystal loaded on the board. You can use P15_2 and P15_3 pins to connect the external 32kHz crystal oscillator.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:22 am »
2. The next version of the CY8CKIT-059, which will start shipping in a couple of weeks, will have the load capacitors for external 32kHz crystal loaded on the board. You can use P15_2 and P15_3 pins to connect the external 32kHz crystal oscillator.

on the product page, will there be any info about which revision it is? only information on productpages is that they are changed on an given date, but no information if anything product related have changed.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »
1. SWDIO and SWDCLK pins are also multiplexed on D+ and D- lines of the PSoC 5LP device. Thus, you can use the PCB USB header of the KitProg along with the XRES signal (connected to R1 and C2) to program the PSoC 5LP device.

As suggested I have managed to program the Kitprog PSOC5LP.  I made up an adapter from a USB extension lead by using the USB socket connected to some header pins. I didn't bother with the XRES connection because that was a bit more tricky to connect up. Using a miniprog3 with power cycle programming allowed the PSOC5LP to be programmed and debugged. There is no kitprog hex file included in the -059 kit software so I used the BLE kit Kitprog hex file to restore the programmer software and it all worked OK.

My thought on how to connect up the XRES pin is to glue a header pin socket on to the top of the PSOC5LP and connect it to the R1/C2 connection point. A wire could then be added to the adapter I made up which can connect into the socket glued on the chip. This would then allow programming by another Kitrpog and reset mode programming.

I was incorrect when I said in my previous post that the 'Attach to running target' caused a problem, it is the 'Debug without programming' that seems to cause a problem and requires the board to be power cycled before it will work again.

The boards I have are revision 03 and I see the new boards are revision 05, other than the addition of the RTC load capacitors are there any other changes?

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
The boards I have are revision 03 and I see the new boards are revision 05, other than the addition of the RTC load capacitors are there any other changes?

Where do you see this?, I haven't gotten mine yet, but on the 4200 sticks, I can't find any revision either, on the paperpackage it is written "rev **" :)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 02:34:15 pm »
There is a paper sticker on the back of the board with the revision number, It's also on the silk screen on the back as well at the edge of the board USB connector on the kitprog part of the prototype.

Edit: neslekkim, also on the 4200 sticks it has the rev code on the bigger sticker with the QR code, as well a very faintly on the back of the USB connector.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:38:49 pm by miguelvp »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 08:30:02 pm »
Edit: neslekkim, also on the 4200 sticks it has the rev code on the bigger sticker with the QR code, as well a very faintly on the back of the USB connector.

Cool, that means the 4200 sticks I bought last year in march is rev 04, and those I got now is still 04. Good to know.

The productpages are changing from time to time, but no info about what is changes. I suspect the publishing system they use are updating dates even if they are notifying stock changes.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2015, 12:14:55 pm »
Got my lot now, rev 03.

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 01:53:05 pm »
Got it today rev 03. Positions of RX(12.6), TX(12.7) are swapped on pdf(KitProg sheet) and on silk on the KitProg board.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:56:40 pm by Evi »

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »
Got it today rev 03. Positions of RX(12.6), TX(12.7) are swapped on pdf(KitProg sheet) and on silk on the KitProg board.

I'm not sure what you mean. On both sections of the board the UART TX pin is P12.7 and RX pin is P12.6. This is shown correctly on the silk screen on both sections of board. The UART TX and RX signals are swapped over between the Kitprog and target boards, which is how it should be.

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »

Quote from: Macman on Today at 20:42:01

>Quote from: Evi on Today at 17:53:05
Got it today rev 03. Positions of RX(12.6), TX(12.7) are swapped on pdf(KitProg sheet) and on silk on the
KitProg board.

I'm not sure what you mean. On both sections of the board the UART TX pin is P12.7 and RX pin is P12.6. This is shown correctly on the silk screen on both sections of board. The UART TX and RX signals are swapped over between the Kitprog and target boards, which is how it should be.
I mean that physically contact P12.6 must be where P12.6 typed. And the same thing with P12.7. If you try them with multimeter, you'll see the opposite.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »
I have just created a program to confirm P12.6 and P12.7 on both the kitprog and target boards. This confirms the pins are connected to the correct header pins that have the correct silk screen label. Are you sure you are not measuring the TX and RX pins between the kitprog and target board, these should be reversed.

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:00 am »

Quote from: Macman on Yesterday at 22:47:06
I have just created a program to confirm P12.6 and P12.7 on both the kitprog and target boards. This confirms the pins are connected to the correct header pins that have the correct silk screen label. Are you sure you are not measuring the TX and RX pins between the kitprog and target board, these should be reversed.
Yes.
Sorry, my mistake, forget about.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:37 pm »
they are in stock again! buy em while you can! I got 2

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf