Author Topic: Cheaper DS2764 (LiPo Gauge/protection) and LTC3532 (Buck/Boost) alternative  (Read 1694 times)

Offline PeterFWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
Hello Folks!
On and off for the past weeks i am thinking about building something, after some search i have come up with the Chips i would need but they are on the pricey side.

The DS2764 LiPo gas gauge and protection IC is a dream but it is very expensive.
Same with the LTC3532 Buck/Boost converter.

The idea is a "smart LiPo battery" for current and future projects, there would be about 5 units for a start i think.
LiPo + protection + I2C fuel gauge + charging + regulated voltage output at 3.3V with with 500mA and maybe optional/additional 5V-12V at very low power.
The 3.3V should be stable and efficient at 1mA-5mA load and the regulator should not need much power itself.

The "problem" is, i only want and can solder packages with leads, i refuse (for now and the foreseeable future) to upgrade to hot air and solder paste + stencils.
SSOP, TSOP, MSOP, SO and so forh are no problem but BGA, DFN and the like... no way.
Allmost everything i found and liked was in a package i can not solder... the other chips are very expensive.

And yes, i know what a sample is and how i get one. But i do not like to "abuse" the system...

Greetings,
Peter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf