Author Topic: Code Composer Studio for 9.99$ with a MSP-EXP430G2-MSP430 LaunchPad  (Read 43427 times)

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Code Composer Studio for 9.99$ with a MSP-EXP430G2-MSP430 LaunchPad
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
TI is a BIG joke for this promotion.  So much time wasting, so many  Sherlock Holmes needed, and I finally executed a 0.01 USD Visa payment from my non-USA card few days ago.  But the 0.01 dollar payment is now stuck.  They have created a divide by zero problem for themselves.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:30:45 am by all_repair »

Online westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2016, 10:13:54 am »
Yep.  Still don't have my license :-(  Had the $0.01 "payment due" which I submitted a new paypal transaction for.   But it didn't go through, is still "pending", and I don't seem to have an option for making a payment by some other mechanism.   My support case has gone unanswered :-(
Sigh.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2016, 11:15:33 am »
Well, I finally got CCS installed, updated and licensed. It looks quite bewildering, even in "simple" mode. I'm mainly interested in playing with the new UCD series digital power supply controllers but it looks like by the time I figure out how to actually use CCS I could have designed and laid out a few boards.

Any other 1st time users equally perplexed, or have I reached my level of incompetence?  :scared:

No you have not. And wait when you START wasting time with CCS, and when you eventually get a prototype just for programming it.
If you want to start producing more and wasting time less, check the PSoc family from Cypress, great documentation, great compiler, great dev boards, analog modules inside the chip, graphical configuration of PWM, timers, buses... I love it and now all my MSP boards are on the dumpster

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:17:06 am by MasterTech »

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2016, 02:36:13 pm »
Well, I finally got CCS installed, updated and licensed. It looks quite bewildering, even in "simple" mode. I'm mainly interested in playing with the new UCD series digital power supply controllers but it looks like by the time I figure out how to actually use CCS I could have designed and laid out a few boards.

Any other 1st time users equally perplexed, or have I reached my level of incompetence?  :scared:

No you have not. And wait when you START wasting time with CCS, and when you eventually get a prototype just for programming it.
If you want to start producing more and wasting time less, check the PSoc family from Cypress, great documentation, great compiler, great dev boards, analog modules inside the chip, graphical configuration of PWM, timers, buses... I love it and now all my MSP boards are on the dumpster
I bought two MSP boards during the promotion. I had never been intrigued by these before, but the full CCS license roped me in. I had a lot of trouble just getting the RGB LED blinky example to work - the GUI wouldn't open within CCS as instructed in the tutorial, i needed to open it separately. It shouldn't have been so hard. All this was after downloading and installing well over 1 GB worth of IDE. I was not impressed.

I had a Mouser order recently (my first I think, I'm normally a Digi-key guy), and I added PSoC 4 and PSoC 5 sticks to the order to get it up over the free shipping threshold. I've wanted to get these for a while and I'm looking forward to playing with them.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »
I bought two MSP boards during the promotion. I had never been intrigued by these before, but the full CCS license roped me in. I had a lot of trouble just getting the RGB LED blinky example to work - the GUI wouldn't open within CCS as instructed in the tutorial, i needed to open it separately. It shouldn't have been so hard. All this was after downloading and installing well over 1 GB worth of IDE. I was not impressed.
same old problems I had

I had a Mouser order recently (my first I think, I'm normally a Digi-key guy), and I added PSoC 4 and PSoC 5 sticks to the order to get it up over the free shipping threshold. I've wanted to get these for a while and I'm looking forward to playing with them.
Adding and configuring modules graphically in Psoc Creator is simply genius, and saves literally hours of work, most of the code is generated by it, not you. First time I received a Psoc 5, no previous experience, I got a pwm motor+lcd up and running in less than an hour, and this was a program I made not a sample code from someone
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:35:15 pm by MasterTech »

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:51 pm »
Those of you curious about the MAC address hardware node locking...

You have the option of adding two different MAC addresses for one license. So you could use it on a laptop and a desktop.

It didn't seem to be critical of which MAC address you used. So I am pretty sure a USB Ethernet dongle will work fine. Many of those (SIIG) have a driver that even lets you change you MAC address with ease, should you need to do that for some reason...

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with the $0.01 payment. I just put the kit in my cart, then added a 2nd to give to someone else since shipping was going to be ~$7, and paid in full. I received two sets of emails with the instructions for getting the software and lic file.

I'm a noob with this, and light duty programming in general, so I'll have to see how it goes. The temp sensor example already gave me a bit of puzzlement, but that was just the PC app. Can't wait for some extra time to appear... :scared:

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2016, 09:16:22 pm »
Can't you use a virtual machine's MAC address?

I think some of us can build an USB ethernet adapter without actual port. It serve the sole purpose as a license dongle.
Writing a null driver is also an option, but that might be illegal since it is a piece of software that circumvents software licensing. No one limits the use of hardware to do so.
As long as you do not make its MAC address user programmable, I see no legal issues.

But you still have a hardware dongle, and if it breaks you need another.  May as well use an actual ethernet dongle for all the effort involved.  All of them have user-programmable MAC so it's easy to replace as needed.  Not sure why a custom built one would have to be fixed address since all real ones are user programmable.

Happy to see this thread, I just bought the kit and now am fully licensed.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2016, 09:22:04 pm »

You seem to have an agenda.

I'd wager that MagicSmoker is a first time user of an IDE, period.  I originally installed CCS ages ago, and at that time it sucked hard if you used the default method which downloads a little stub installer that itself retrieves the real (presumably most current) set of installers from the net.  It worked a lot better if you just downloaded the full installer and installled it locally.  Once installed it has pretty much all the same buttons and interface as any other IDE and I didn't need to even read a quick-start guide.

For a first time user of any environment of this kind, yeah it's going to be rough going.  That is going to be the case with any IDE.

Thanks for the PSoC reference, I looked into them based on your post and plan to get some boards to play with.  MSP430 is still extremely valuable, I have two projects going using G series SOIC and TSSOP packages and I don't see anything remotely close to that small from Cypress.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »

Nope, no agenda. I could give you more details on this but, pointless.
Just a happy customer who lost time in the past, and would like others to become aware of a better solution. And I've been a Texas Instruments fan since I graduated in EE, did projects with C54s and C62s DSPs in that time. I agree that I may look like a Cypress rep though.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2016, 10:22:37 pm »

Nope, no agenda. I could give you more details on this but, pointless.
Just a happy customer who lost time in the past, and would like others to become aware of a better solution. And I've been a Texas Instruments fan since I graduated in EE, did projects with C54s and C62s DSPs in that time. I agree that I may look like a Cypress rep though.

Sorry, I didn't mean ulterior motive or anything negative.

I think many times vendors do get stuck with what they have for various reasons.  As someone who is not even at the level of novice, I recognize this in e.g. scopes.  Legacy customers, laziness, inertia, etc.  TI seems big enough and ancient enough that they may very well be in this boat with a lot of products.

But I looked at Cypress and the website was just too hard to navigate.  Couldn't even find a family to family comparison chart.  Still, with what I did find, it seemed they were heavily oriented to 32bit and devices with large number of I/O.  Seemed to be consistent with "SoC" vs TI "MCU".  Does Cypress have anything that is more on the order of only 4-8 I/O pins?

Offline faulty

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:57 am »

Today the 3 promotions  are still valid, but the shipping is no longer free (6.99$)

I got this from TI and just used the code today.

As a thank you for visiting the TI store, please enjoy free shipping on your next order. The TI store is the place to shop for TI devices, development tools and software for all your design needs. Use coupon code “FALLFREESHIP” at checkout.
Limit one coupon code per customer. Coupon expires December 31, 2016.

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, BravoV, rsjsouza, edavid, evb149, julianhigginson

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2016, 01:23:43 am »
I just ordered a couple of these as well.  It seems the CCS license is $.01 and the dev board the remainder of the total.

It's always possible to run it on a VM, where you can set the MAC address to whatever you want.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2016, 10:41:09 am »
It's always possible to run it on a VM, where you can set the MAC address to whatever you want.

You don't need a VM to set the MAC to whatever.  You can change your real hardware's MAC address also.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2016, 10:47:38 am »
After buying this I learned of the Mac version of CCS.  Which doesn't require licensing.

I'm having some problems debugging my target (board doesn't always respond and then I have to reset) but I haven't checked to see if CCS on Windows has the same problem or not.  Still, running CCS on Mac makes life generally easier for me and allows me to "get over" the issues with Eclipse -- which is worse (buggier) on Mac than elsewhere, but no dealbreakers for me.  So, I "wasted" my $9.99 but am happy about it.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »

You don't need a VM to set the MAC to whatever.  You can change your real hardware's MAC address also.

The point of using a VM is to be able to run the compiler on a different computer without the hassle of swapping MAC addresses or contacting TI.  You can just move the VM with the compiler installed wherever you want and run it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:37:34 pm by edavid »

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2016, 08:10:49 am »

The point of using a VM is to be able to run the compiler on a different computer without the hassle of swapping MAC addresses or contacting TI.  You can just move the VM with the compiler installed wherever you want and run it.

Sure, that's a decent feature of a VM for a home user.  For an enterprise/commercial/professional usage you need to keep a backup of your VM and in that case, recovery or migration of the bare metal is just as easy as for a VM.

But that wasn't the stated reason.  The stated reason was to set the MAC address to a value of your choice and this is trivially easy on bare metal as well as a VM.  For that specific reason there's zero advantage to a VM.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:48 am »
After buying this I learned of the Mac version of CCS.  Which doesn't require licensing.

That doesn't sound right. What made you think the Mac version doesn't require licencing?

The fact that I am running the latest Mac version and it doesn't have any licensing?  There is no place to add a license (the menu option is simply absent) and no indication of licensed status to the user (the status area at the bottom of the window frame is blank).  Are you using CCS on a Mac?  Where do you enter the licensing info?

Also, the TI instructions for generating the license (obtaining your MAC address) do not have any Mac OS instructions.  I think it's safe to generalize and state that most Mac OS users have no clue how to get the system MAC address, GUI or CLI, so it would be important to tell them how to obtain it.

The licencing is to enable unrestricted code size. That applies to all platforms as far as I am aware. Yes you can use the gcc open source compiler to get around that but then you don't get the "benefits" of the TI compiler on some controllers.

Again, are you using CCS on Mac OS?  I don't mean that as a challenge, I only ask it because you say, "as far as you are aware".  I'm just wondering if you are making an assumption or if you have first hand knowledge.

Why do you say Eclipse is buggier on Mac? Are we taking about the same version of Eclipse, or is there some other software that is downlevel causing a problem?

I'm referring to the base Eclipse features, not the toolchain.  I'm using CCS 6.2.0.00050 which is on top of Eclipse "platform" 4.5.1 and CDT 8.8.0.  I use Eclipse professionally on Linux so I'm very familiar with its feature set and quirks.  CCS on Mac is just hobby stuff for me.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2016, 01:14:08 pm »
CCS supports MAC and fixed node licensing. The floating license aren't supported.
The license that's discussed in the title of this thread works on MAC.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »

Why do you say Eclipse is buggier on Mac? Are we taking about the same version of Eclipse, or is there some other software that is downlevel causing a problem?

I'm referring to the base Eclipse features, not the toolchain.  I'm using CCS 6.2.0.00050 which is on top of Eclipse "platform" 4.5.1 and CDT 8.8.0.  I use Eclipse professionally on Linux so I'm very familiar with its feature set and quirks.  CCS on Mac is just hobby stuff for me.
Interesting note; I have been using CCS for Mac OSX for a few months and, despite not being well versed in this OS, I can tell I haven't hit any major issues with it. I also use CCS for Linux for years and haven't noticed a tremendous difference in performance and bugs (despite the Mac OSX version uses a lot more memory), but perhaps I am not hitting the correct buttons... :)

edit: I actually take that back; I was comparing the 32-bit version for Linux (CCSv6.1.3) with the 64-bit version of Mac OSX (CCSv6.2.0). When I started the 64-bit version for Linux (CCSv6.2.0) I saw it uses around 100MB less RAM when compared to the Mac OSX version (hovering around 850MB).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:32:15 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2016, 06:05:32 pm »
CCS supports MAC and fixed node licensing. The floating license aren't supported.

We're now talking about Mac OS not MAC (address) vs floating licenses.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:24 pm »
I got this from TI and just used the code today.

As a thank you for visiting the TI store, please enjoy free shipping on your next order. The TI store is the place to shop for TI devices, development tools and software for all your design needs. Use coupon code “FALLFREESHIP” at checkout.
Limit one coupon code per customer. Coupon expires December 31, 2016.

thanks so much for sharing this! I had been considering a C2000 launchpad for a control project I'm starting. now I have the launchpad coming and a full CCS license with one of the 430 launchpads, and a couple of other goodies with free shipping.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2016, 05:03:35 am »

We're now talking about Mac OS not MAC (address) vs floating licenses.
so was I

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2016, 05:30:19 am »
What are the major differences between the three promo boards:

MSP-EXP430FR5994   $15.99

MSP-EXP430G2   $9.99

MSP-EXP432P401R   $12.99

If I get one or two, I want to use them with their Booster Packs and I am checking if they will work with them (not easy) and I hope to use the secret word FALLFREESHIP

https://store.ti.com/Search.aspx?k=ccs-promo&pt=-1

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2016, 05:34:29 am »
What are the major differences between the three promo boards:

MSP-EXP430FR5994   $15.99

MSP-EXP430G2   $9.99

MSP-EXP432P401R   $12.99

They are for somewhat different chips.

The MSP-EXP430G2 is for the MSP430G2/F2 range, which are relatively simple, low end chips. It has a terrible UART on it. Great place to start out with the range, though.

The MSP-EXP430FR5994 is for the FR5 series, which is a substantially more complex chip with many more features, and is also FRAM equipped. Quite a change from the G2.

The MSP-EXP432P401R is for the MSP432, which is an ARM based chip with MSP430 peripherals. A bit of an odd beast and newest and least available chip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf