Author Topic: Code Composer Studio for 9.99$ with a MSP-EXP430G2-MSP430 LaunchPad  (Read 11593 times)

Offline ebclr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Code Composer Studio for 9.99$ with a MSP-EXP430G2-MSP430 LaunchPad
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:39 AM »
Do the cloud tool have any limitation ?

https://dev.ti.com/faq

I compiled big files there

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
Reposting this because a lot of people seem to have missed this suggestion from earlier on, but if you want a floating license, just buy a USB wifi adapter.  You can get them for about $10.  Link the license to that MAC address and just move the wifi adapter to whatever computer you are using.  You don't need to actually use the wifi adapter.

I've done this because I change motherboards every year or so and don't want to deactivate/reactivate all the time.

Can you confirm that it works on CCS ?

I thought about that but reading carefully the faq,  they say that  the MAC address is the HOSTID mac adress,
but I do not understand if any  MAC address is considered as an HOSTID, or only  one of them

from
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/FAQ_-_CCSv4#Q:_What_does_this_error_message_mean.3F_.22The_HOST_ID_in_your_license_does_not_match_the_HOST_ID_of_this_computer.22
Q: What does this error message mean? "The HOST ID in your license does not match the HOST ID of this computer"
CCS is comparing the host ID of your computer with the one that is in your license file and they are not matching. The cause of this could be that the license was created for a different computer, or you made a mistake when typing in the HOST ID when creating your license or if you have multiple network cards in your computer CCS may be looking at the wrong one. It is possible to re-host your license, please verify the HOST ID of your computer and if you have multiple network cards try entering in 2 HOST IDs when re-hosting your license.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2016, 05:41:46 AM »
Ah.  I HAD found the appropriate page, but since it was blank I wasn't sure that was the place.  (and it SOUNDED more like "things you have registered" rather than "things you have bought.)

I wasn't getting mine, (it was "In Work at Fulfillment") so I checked better the order status page, and lo and behold, I had a $0.01 payment pending
That could be it.  Paypal says I paid $9.98, the order shows charges of $9.99...
(How in the world do you make a $0.01 payment to an order that isn't actively ASKING you to make a payment?  I'd guess that TI tried to bill separately, as things were actually shipped, but paypal burped with a "$0.01??  Is that some kind of joke?" response...)

Offline newbrain

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »
Ah.  I HAD found the appropriate page, but since it was blank I wasn't sure that was the place.  (and it SOUNDED more like "things you have registered" rather than "things you have bought.)

I wasn't getting mine, (it was "In Work at Fulfillment") so I checked better the order status page, and lo and behold, I had a $0.01 payment pending
That could be it.  Paypal says I paid $9.98, the order shows charges of $9.99...
(How in the world do you make a $0.01 payment to an order that isn't actively ASKING you to make a payment?  I'd guess that TI tried to bill separately, as things were actually shipped, but paypal burped with a "$0.01??  Is that some kind of joke?" response...)
Yes, same for me with the registration page, it was empty until I went through the whole procedure and entered the code received by mail.
And yes, probably they billed separately.
I attach a capture of the order page (personal details removed). Just above the Reorder button, I had another one with something like "Complete Payment" (not so sure).
Paypal did not object to the amount for me, but note that the money has not yet been withdrawn; I'm curious to see the credit report (in SEK) when they do.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
Reposting this because a lot of people seem to have missed this suggestion from earlier on, but if you want a floating license, just buy a USB wifi adapter.  You can get them for about $10.  Link the license to that MAC address and just move the wifi adapter to whatever computer you are using.  You don't need to actually use the wifi adapter.

I've done this because I change motherboards every year or so and don't want to deactivate/reactivate all the time.

Can't you use a virtual machine's MAC address?

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Final year EE PhD
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »

I think some of us can build an USB ethernet adapter without actual port. It serve the sole purpose as a license dongle.
Writing a null driver is also an option, but that might be illegal since it is a piece of software that circumvents software licensing. No one limits the use of hardware to do so.
As long as you do not make its MAC address user programmable, I see no legal issues.
SIGSEGV is inevitable if you try to talk more than you know.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2016, 03:55:55 AM »
The situation today is that there are 3 PROMOS for CCS

https://store.ti.com/Search.aspx?k=ccs-promo&pt=-1

bundled with

MSP430G2 (9.99$)
MSP432P401R (12.99$)
MSP430FR5994 (15.99$)

Today the 3 promotions  are still valid, but the shipping is no longer free (6.99$)

Offline MagicSmoker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2016, 04:47:16 AM »
Well, I finally got CCS installed, updated and licensed. It looks quite bewildering, even in "simple" mode. I'm mainly interested in playing with the new UCD series digital power supply controllers but it looks like by the time I figure out how to actually use CCS I could have designed and laid out a few boards.

Any other 1st time users equally perplexed, or have I reached my level of incompetence?  :scared:

Offline kaz911

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Well, I finally got CCS installed, updated and licensed. It looks quite bewildering, even in "simple" mode. I'm mainly interested in playing with the new UCD series digital power supply controllers but it looks like by the time I figure out how to actually use CCS I could have designed and laid out a few boards.

Any other 1st time users equally perplexed, or have I reached my level of incompetence?  :scared:

any new tool takes some getting used too - I would suggest to follow one of their online tutorial videos to get started - they have plenty of video tutorials with training books etc. It helps if you know Eclipse but I did not when I started. Eclipse is the "IDE" that CCS is integrated into and Eclipse is used for many different IDE's and tools.

Online all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
TI is a BIG joke for this promotion.  So much time wasting, so many  Sherlock Holmes needed, and I finally executed a 0.01 USD Visa payment from my non-USA card few days ago.  But the 0.01 dollar payment is now stuck.  They have created a divide by zero problem for themselves.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:30:45 PM by all_repair »

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »
Yep.  Still don't have my license :-(  Had the $0.01 "payment due" which I submitted a new paypal transaction for.   But it didn't go through, is still "pending", and I don't seem to have an option for making a payment by some other mechanism.   My support case has gone unanswered :-(
Sigh.

Offline MasterTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »

No you have not. And wait when you START wasting time with CCS, and when you eventually get a prototype just for programming it.
If you want to start producing more and wasting time less, check the PSoc family from Cypress, great documentation, great compiler, great dev boards, analog modules inside the chip, graphical configuration of PWM, timers, buses... I love it and now all my MSP boards are on the dumpster

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:17:06 PM by MasterTech »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
Yep.  Still don't have my license :-(  Had the $0.01 "payment due" which I submitted a new paypal transaction for.   But it didn't go through, is still "pending", and I don't seem to have an option for making a payment by some other mechanism.   My support case has gone unanswered :-(
Sigh.

Check on the TI website for your licence code. It might be there and they haven't sent the email. I had the $0.01 issue but I never bothered paying them because I assumed they were TI trying to resolve some system fault when getting partial balances approved. I just repeatedly tried paying the more reasonable amount that matched parts of my order. I eventually switched from Paypal (which worked for the initial amount and on previous orders) to a VISA debit card. I never found out just what went wrong but it eventually got sorted out after about a week. I don't know whether switching from PP to VISA was useful. But it did work.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »

No you have not. And wait when you START wasting time with CCS, and when you eventually get a prototype just for programming it.
If you want to start producing more and wasting time less, check the PSoc family from Cypress, great documentation, great compiler, great dev boards, analog modules inside the chip, graphical configuration of PWM, timers, buses... I love it and now all my MSP boards are on the dumpster
I bought two MSP boards during the promotion. I had never been intrigued by these before, but the full CCS license roped me in. I had a lot of trouble just getting the RGB LED blinky example to work - the GUI wouldn't open within CCS as instructed in the tutorial, i needed to open it separately. It shouldn't have been so hard. All this was after downloading and installing well over 1 GB worth of IDE. I was not impressed.

I had a Mouser order recently (my first I think, I'm normally a Digi-key guy), and I added PSoC 4 and PSoC 5 sticks to the order to get it up over the free shipping threshold. I've wanted to get these for a while and I'm looking forward to playing with them.

Offline MasterTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2016, 02:33:11 AM »
I bought two MSP boards during the promotion. I had never been intrigued by these before, but the full CCS license roped me in. I had a lot of trouble just getting the RGB LED blinky example to work - the GUI wouldn't open within CCS as instructed in the tutorial, i needed to open it separately. It shouldn't have been so hard. All this was after downloading and installing well over 1 GB worth of IDE. I was not impressed.
same old problems I had

I had a Mouser order recently (my first I think, I'm normally a Digi-key guy), and I added PSoC 4 and PSoC 5 sticks to the order to get it up over the free shipping threshold. I've wanted to get these for a while and I'm looking forward to playing with them.
Adding and configuring modules graphically in Psoc Creator is simply genius, and saves literally hours of work, most of the code is generated by it, not you. First time I received a Psoc 5, no previous experience, I got a pwm motor+lcd up and running in less than an hour, and this was a program I made not a sample code from someone
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:35:15 AM by MasterTech »

Online FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2016, 02:49:51 AM »
Those of you curious about the MAC address hardware node locking...

You have the option of adding two different MAC addresses for one license. So you could use it on a laptop and a desktop.

It didn't seem to be critical of which MAC address you used. So I am pretty sure a USB Ethernet dongle will work fine. Many of those (SIIG) have a driver that even lets you change you MAC address with ease, should you need to do that for some reason...

Offline metrologist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2016, 02:55:07 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with the $0.01 payment. I just put the kit in my cart, then added a 2nd to give to someone else since shipping was going to be ~$7, and paid in full. I received two sets of emails with the instructions for getting the software and lic file.

I'm a noob with this, and light duty programming in general, so I'll have to see how it goes. The temp sensor example already gave me a bit of puzzlement, but that was just the PC app. Can't wait for some extra time to appear... :scared:

Offline electrolust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »

I think some of us can build an USB ethernet adapter without actual port. It serve the sole purpose as a license dongle.
Writing a null driver is also an option, but that might be illegal since it is a piece of software that circumvents software licensing. No one limits the use of hardware to do so.
As long as you do not make its MAC address user programmable, I see no legal issues.

But you still have a hardware dongle, and if it breaks you need another.  May as well use an actual ethernet dongle for all the effort involved.  All of them have user-programmable MAC so it's easy to replace as needed.  Not sure why a custom built one would have to be fixed address since all real ones are user programmable.

Happy to see this thread, I just bought the kit and now am fully licensed.

Offline electrolust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »

You seem to have an agenda.

I'd wager that MagicSmoker is a first time user of an IDE, period.  I originally installed CCS ages ago, and at that time it sucked hard if you used the default method which downloads a little stub installer that itself retrieves the real (presumably most current) set of installers from the net.  It worked a lot better if you just downloaded the full installer and installled it locally.  Once installed it has pretty much all the same buttons and interface as any other IDE and I didn't need to even read a quick-start guide.

For a first time user of any environment of this kind, yeah it's going to be rough going.  That is going to be the case with any IDE.

Thanks for the PSoC reference, I looked into them based on your post and plan to get some boards to play with.  MSP430 is still extremely valuable, I have two projects going using G series SOIC and TSSOP packages and I don't see anything remotely close to that small from Cypress.

Offline MasterTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

Nope, no agenda. I could give you more details on this but, pointless.
Just a happy customer who lost time in the past, and would like others to become aware of a better solution. And I've been a Texas Instruments fan since I graduated in EE, did projects with C54s and C62s DSPs in that time. I agree that I may look like a Cypress rep though.

Offline electrolust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »

Nope, no agenda. I could give you more details on this but, pointless.
Just a happy customer who lost time in the past, and would like others to become aware of a better solution. And I've been a Texas Instruments fan since I graduated in EE, did projects with C54s and C62s DSPs in that time. I agree that I may look like a Cypress rep though.

Sorry, I didn't mean ulterior motive or anything negative.

I think many times vendors do get stuck with what they have for various reasons.  As someone who is not even at the level of novice, I recognize this in e.g. scopes.  Legacy customers, laziness, inertia, etc.  TI seems big enough and ancient enough that they may very well be in this boat with a lot of products.

But I looked at Cypress and the website was just too hard to navigate.  Couldn't even find a family to family comparison chart.  Still, with what I did find, it seemed they were heavily oriented to 32bit and devices with large number of I/O.  Seemed to be consistent with "SoC" vs TI "MCU".  Does Cypress have anything that is more on the order of only 4-8 I/O pins?

Online evb149

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »
Cypress' best offerings are ARM CORTEX-M0 / M3 type devices some of which have some fairly noteworthy and perhaps somewhat unusual integrated peripherals such as CPLD-like digital blocks (UDBs), programmable function/configuration/interconnection analog signal processing blocks, a bluetooth low energy modem, fairly high resolution sigma delta ADCs, and so forth.  Those are the PSOC 4 / 5 lines.  They also inherited some other ARM MCUs from Spansion.
I don't think Cypress specializes in the 4-8 I/O pin MCU class anymore.  They had some specialty analog/digital/sensor interface integrated 8-bit MCUs with the PSOC-1 line but those are pretty close to obsolete these days.

Actually I do recollect that a couple off their lowest end PSOC 4000 series Cortex-M0 MCUs are around $0.45 and have only a few pins, though I forget if that's 8 pins, 16, 24, or something in between.  That's fairly comparable to a low to mid-range value line MSP430 IC, same or less peripherals, better processor wrt. 32 bit ARM C-M0 that's faster anyway.

Some of their bluetooth ICs and other ARM C-M0 ICs are in packages with under 24 I/O pins.

I think many times vendors do get stuck with what they have for various reasons.  As someone who is not even at the level of novice, I recognize this in e.g. scopes.  Legacy customers, laziness, inertia, etc.  TI seems big enough and ancient enough that they may very well be in this boat with a lot of products.

But I looked at Cypress and the website was just too hard to navigate.  Couldn't even find a family to family comparison chart.  Still, with what I did find, it seemed they were heavily oriented to 32bit and devices with large number of I/O.  Seemed to be consistent with "SoC" vs TI "MCU".  Does Cypress have anything that is more on the order of only 4-8 I/O pins?

Offline faulty

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »

Today the 3 promotions  are still valid, but the shipping is no longer free (6.99$)

I got this from TI and just used the code today.

As a thank you for visiting the TI store, please enjoy free shipping on your next order. The TI store is the place to shop for TI devices, development tools and software for all your design needs. Use coupon code “FALLFREESHIP” at checkout.
Limit one coupon code per customer. Coupon expires December 31, 2016.

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, BravoV, rsjsouza, edavid, evb149, julianhigginson

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
I just ordered a couple of these as well.  It seems the CCS license is $.01 and the dev board the remainder of the total.

It's always possible to run it on a VM, where you can set the MAC address to whatever you want.
<This space intentionally left blank>

Offline electrolust

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
It's always possible to run it on a VM, where you can set the MAC address to whatever you want.

You don't need a VM to set the MAC to whatever.  You can change your real hardware's MAC address also.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf