Author Topic: Control your home with iphones new home app!  (Read 1374 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Control your home with iphones new home app!
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:36:40 am »
Has anyone linked this to an Arduino? Does the Arduino support having the internet connected to it? Would it be a modual that goes onto the Arduino or would it be ip protocol stack that went in through the usb port. Is the Arduino have enough memory to do that?

I want to make my house do weird shit with an Arduino like turn on the lawn sprinklers or turn on all the kitchen appliances at once or make all the toilets flush at once remotely to scare the dog..
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline rmacintosh

• Regular Contributor
Re: Control your home with iphones new home app!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »
I've not done it yet, but I have looked into it and found this...

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Which is a s/w implementation of apples homekit platform. You used to have to integrate a homekit security chip into your device to get on homekit with your device but apple has removed that restriction and it can be entirely done in s/w now. Also, for prototype/personal use there is no licencing required!

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:26:06 pm »
I bought an RFduino today but can't find anything that actually says how you implement the iPhone/color changing lights app. Seems like all these videos about it tell you how to connect the lights but nothing on how to write a sketch for it. they all assume you just know how it works which is fine but do I really need to watch a video of how to do the simple parts if I already know how to do the hard parts? 
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline funkathustra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:28 pm »
I bought an RFduino today but can't find anything that actually says how you implement the iPhone/color changing lights app. Seems like all these videos about it tell you how to connect the lights but nothing on how to write a sketch for it. they all assume you just know how it works which is fine but do I really need to watch a video of how to do the simple parts if I already know how to do the hard parts?

I don't know what "videos" you're talking about, but I don't know many devs who have time to create video tutorials, if that's what you're talking about? Just read through the examples for the homebridge-bluetooth plugin. There's literally an RGB lightbulb example that you could copy and paste.

It took me approximately 2 seconds of googling to find these links. It looks like the IP-based homebridge project is what everyone uses, and I didn't immediately see any direct BTLE off-the-shelf solutions, though when I glanced at the HomeKit Accessory protocol spec, it seems like HomeKit supports it as well (though IP has tons of obvious advantages).

For infrastructure-oriented stuff like home automation, I'd probably use an IP-based solution. I know BTLE microcontrollers are all the rage these days, and have gone down in price substantially, but it's hard to beat Ethernet. The PIC18F66J60, AT32UC3, ATSAM4E8, LPC1764, STM32F107, and Kinetis K60 are all popular controllers with Ethernet support, but only the PIC18 has a built-in PHY. If you're stuck on ATMega328pu-based Arduino boards, then I'd look at the ENC28J60.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:35:05 pm by funkathustra »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:56:37 am »
Technically speaking, if you want to use the Home app, you need to be Apple MFi licensee. For DIY projects it may be better to use the license-free ad hoc app over Bluetooth Smart approach.

(Source: Apple Developer documentation. I am a long-time Apple Developer)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf