Author Topic: CortexM Micro Controller to Linear CCD Sensor ILX526A  (Read 3496 times)

Offline chakradharTopic starter

CortexM Micro Controller to Linear CCD Sensor ILX526A
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:41:03 am »
Can someone suggest me a Linear CCD sensor that can easily interface with CortexM micro-controller with minimum electronic components. Anyone tried interfacing Sony ILX526A or ILX532A Linear CCD sensor to a CortexM processor?.

Offline mjs

• Regular Contributor
Re: CortexM Micro Controller to Linear CCD Sensor ILX526A
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:12:54 am »
Also other requirements would be useful. I'd go with CMOS. TSL1401 to TSL1412 can be directly connected to a microcontroller. Pixel pitch is much higher than the 7um of the Sony, though. There are also other CMOS devices, I've just needed long sensor lines in my last applications.

I think Sony has discontinued the ILX/ICX series of linear CCDs. I've used TCD1304 previously, don't know the current lifecycle status.

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »
The Freescale Cup Kit uses a TSL14xx based sensor.

This shield for the FRDM-KL25Z has an easy interface:

http://circuitmaker.com/Projects/CA0790BB-3F6E-4BE4-B3CA-AFBAB1F7B551

The circuit maker project page has a link to the code.   There is also an example on mbed.org:

https://developer.mbed.org/users/emh203/code/FRDM-TFC/

This code captures the image  completely in the background using some timer interrupts.  It is pretty easy to adjust exposure time, etc in the code.

The camera design is here:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1058

There is one op-amp in the interface but you could probably get away with not using it.

I will have the files on CircuitMaker soon.    There are .pdfs of the schematics and layout for reference.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:01:03 pm »
Also other requirements would be useful. I'd go with CMOS. TSL1401 to TSL1412 can be directly connected to a microcontroller. Pixel pitch is much higher than the 7um of the Sony, though. There are also other CMOS devices, I've just needed long sensor lines in my last applications.

I think Sony has discontinued the ILX/ICX series of linear CCDs. I've used TCD1304 previously, don't know the current lifecycle status.

I need less than 10um pixel pitch ... How difficult was TCD 1304? Have you tried TCD1304DG?. Can you suggest any equivalent newer model. This is to display the light intensity waveform of a laser spot on the sensor.

Offline mjs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:08:31 pm »
The CCD used was the -DG version. The -AP has plastic package, but I've never seen them anywhere. The control is quite simple, the datasheet has good timing graphs. When using CortexM3, use a model that has fast GPIO pins (not through AHB) and run the CCD readout code from RAM for better control on timing.

Offline VIGNESH BALAJI

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:22 am »
Hi,
    What IDE are you using for your Cortex-M microcontroller?

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:14:08 am »
The CCD used was the -DG version. The -AP has plastic package, but I've never seen them anywhere. The control is quite simple, the datasheet has good timing graphs. When using CortexM3, use a model that has fast GPIO pins (not through AHB) and run the CCD readout code from RAM for better control on timing.
OK. I will buy a couple of TCD1304-DG sensors for the testing purpose. Is a Cortex M4 (with floating point DSP) enough for driving this CCD?.
Thanks a lot mjs.

(Vignesh - I am using Code Composer Studio IDE from TI for the development)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf