Author Topic: CP2102 Eeprom Programming failed. Can i rescue the chip?Help needed!  (Read 5868 times)

Offline SweepTopic starter

Shit happens. I tried to program a CP2102 eeprom with a new product and serial number for the chip. I used “ “ signs at the front and the end of the name string, maybe that’s the problem.
Now my Win7 32 Bit detects the device and I see it in the device manager but I cannot install the VCP driver. The error message from the device manager says device instance name conflict Code 1.
But I have no other device connected with the same PID or VID. I checked the VID and PID of this device in usbview and there is no problem both has the default values 10C4 / EA60.
And without a driver the Software from SiLabs cannot access the device for reprogramming.
I tried so many things, delete the driver, install the driver new, test a another pc nothing helps.
I have no idea what I can do as a next step to bring this little sucker back to life.
I call the support from SiLabs, they say to me with the normal VID and PID numbers there should be no problem with the standard VCP driver from SilLabs.

Has anyone an idea, what I can try next?
Is there a way to send the datastring to the eeprom to change the product description and serial string by hand?

Sweep

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
Re: CP2102 Eeprom Programming failed. Can i rescue the chip?Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:33:30 pm »
Have you tried installing the driver with the device unplugged?

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:45:20 pm »
Yes i have, but no diffrence. I had tried to delete the registry entry for the 10C4 EA60 device but no success. I deleted the INFCACHE without a diffrence. This problem drives me crazy.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »
Are you using the EXE to install or just pointing device manager at the INF file (or right-clicking on the INF and hitting install)?  Have you shown the hidden drivers in device manager?  It sounds like the drivers are in some half-baked installation state.

I could understand how you could get an error when enumerating the device but the drivers shouldn't have any trouble installing when the device is unplugged.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:08:08 am »
I tried both with the exe install package and the manule way with selecting the .inf file. I looked for old driver and devices at my device manager and find nothing. I made a short video from the driver install process and the error message (in German Win 7) Sorry!

The driver has no problem when i try to install him first with the .exe installer, with the inf file and "right-clicking on the INF and hitting install" is not possible the inf does not support that, tells me a windows message.
With the driver installed the device cannot access him or other way, the driver is not able to work with this device. Always the CODE 1 error is shown in the device manager window. And i cannot use the device for any changing.

http://youtu.be/pHQKvkkCZF8

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:33:49 am »
As a last resort you might try using the programming API from a program you write yourself instead of using the utility they provide.  App note AN144 describes how to do this.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:11 am »
I think its not possible sending data to the device without a working driver. You cannot open a device handle for the bus system.
So the dll is useless for me at this moment. I think something with the device registration goes wrong, because the " " signs cannot read from the system. I dont no if there is a option to send data via uart to the chip with the productname and serialname comand in there to change this two strings in the eeprom from the CP2102.  :-[

My programming skill is not so good to do this by my self.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:16:43 pm »
This might be of help:
http://cp210x-program.sourceforge.net/

(Be careful with that configuration lock bit. The datasheet claims it has a permanent effect.)

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:27:39 pm »
I see this before but i havnt linux installed. Maybe it goes with a Live Cd from Ubuntu. I try this later. Nothing more to lose with this device here.
Maybe it is possible to set the product and serial name back to default. Long time ago i used linux, i hope i remind me to all the terminal instructions.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »
So at the end the linux software rescue the chip. It was not easy to get the software running under ubuntu 12.10. I had reset the wrong Product and Serial String to the right format and now win 7 can access the CP2102 and the driver work. Thank for the help and tips here in the forum.

Linux and the guy that write the software piece save my day.  :-+
Cheers to that guy.

Sweep

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf