Author Topic: Deriving different clock signals from a system clock - frequency division & flag  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Digital_TreasureTopic starter

Hello,

I have been giving a specification to derive 10MHz,5MHz and 1MHz from a 20MHz system clock. I am also supposed to design posedge and negedge flags for all the three derived clocks.

I used a 4 bit counter which counted from 0-15 and the counter[0] gave me the 10MHz clock signal and the counter [1] gave me the 5MHz signal. I used another 5 bit counter which counted from 0-9. I made my 1MHz signal register toggle for 0-9 each count, which gave me the 1MHz clock signal.

Now I am struggling to design the posedge and negedge flags for all three of the clocks. I used a combination logic of posedge = a^!b; but I could get the flags for 10MHz and 5MHz but couldn't extract my 1MHz flags from this method.

I was suggested to use my two counters (4 bit and 5 bit) to easily design the flags for all three of them. Kindly suggest on this

Thank you in advance and kind regards
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:54:18 am by Digital_Treasure »

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
If I've understood correctly, why can't you just use a 5-bit counter that counts to 20?  Then you just use combinatorial logic to get all six flags (posedge and neg edge for each derived clock).  Unless I have missed something (happens)

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Please tell us what you mean by posedge and negedge flags.
A short pulse? An output lasting how long? Etc...

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
Depending on your implementation (CPLD, FPGA, discrete logic)

IN a CPLD ofrr FPA could try a 20 bit shift register, clocked on every cycle

One loaded with 11111111110000000000  - will give 1 MHz
One loaded with 11001100110011001100  - will give 5 MHz
One loaded with 10101010101010101010  - will give 10 MHz

For discrete logic, use two D flipflops to divide by 2 and 4, and something like a CD4017 clocked by the 10MHz to give 1MHz.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Thank you for your suggestion, if I use a 5 bit counter which counts from 0-19 and then toggles then I will have a divide by 40 clock cycles signal (in other words my period will be 40); so instead I have used a 5 bit counter which counts from 0-9 and toggles for every 10 clock cycles which is giving me a 1MHz clock.

I have used the combinational logic for the flags for 10 and 5 Mhz, its just unable to use the same thing for the 1MHz

because my snippet for 1MHz counter goes like this:

output clk_1MHz;
reg [4:0] counter_1MHz;
reg clk_1MHz_reg;

always@(posedge clk or posedge rst)
 begin
  if(rst == 1'b1)
    begin
    counter_1MHz  <= 5'd0;
    clk_1MHz_reg  <= 1'b0;
 end
  else
    begin

// ########### Logic to derive 1MHz from second-5bit counter  ################

if(counter_1MHz == 5'd9)
       begin
       counter_1MHz <= 5'd0;
       clk_1MHz_reg  <= ~clk_1MHz_reg;
       end

else
       begin
       counter_1MHz <= counter_1MHz + 5'd1;
       clk_1MHz_reg <= clk_1MHz_reg;
       end
    end
assign clk_1MHz = clk_1MHz_reg;

since my clk_1MHZ_reg is not assigned from any counter value of the 5bit counter, Like in 10 & 5 mhz cases count[0] was assigned for 10 & count[1] was assigned for 5

hello, thank you for your message. Its a pulse of 1 clock cycle of the 20MHz system clock

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
As a Verilog beginner myself, I have to ask wouldn't something as:
Code: [Select]
output wire posedge_1MHz;
output wire negedge_1MHz;
assign posedge_1MHz = (counter_1MHz  == 5'b0) && clk_1MHz_reg;
assign negedge_1MHz = (counter_1MHz  == 5'b0) && !clk_1MHz_reg;
be enough to combinatorially generate the flags?

Edit: Actually, if my understanding is correct, it's in general better to avoid doing it combinatorially so I would rather write (with the flags as regs, not wires):
Code: [Select]
    // ########### Logic to derive 1MHz from second-5bit counter  ################

if(counter_1MHz == 5'd9)
       begin
       counter_1MHz <= 5'd0;
       clk_1MHz_reg  <= ~clk_1MHz_reg;
       if(clk_1MHz_reg)
          negedge_1MHz <= 1b'1; // clk_1MHz_reg will change to 0, so negedge
       else
          posedge_1MHz <= 1b'1; // clk_1MHz_reg will change to 1, so posedge
       end

else
       begin
       // Reset the flags
       posedge_1MHz <= 1b'0;
       negedge_1MHz <= 1b'0;
       clk_1MHz_reg <= clk_1MHz_reg;
       end
    end
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:31:44 pm by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
       clk_1MHz_reg <= clk_1MHz_reg;  // <<<<<< THIS line not needed >>>>>>>>
       end

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, newbrain

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
       clk_1MHz_reg <= clk_1MHz_reg;  // <<<<<< THIS line not needed >>>>>>>>
       end
You are of course right, I kept it as it was in the original code, but noticed it was redundant.
Thanks for pointing that out, as the difference between <= and = can be, for a beginner, quite confusing.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Thank you for your suggestion, if I use a 5 bit counter which counts from 0-19 and then toggles then I will have a divide by 40 clock cycles signal (in other words my period will be 40); so instead I have used a 5 bit counter which counts from 0-9 and toggles for every 10 clock cycles which is giving me a 1MHz clock.

ahh you're right - I had a brain fart.  A 6-bit counter is needed, counting from 0 to 39 would do, the 1MHz negative edge would be at count = 20, its positive edge pulse would be at 0.

I see you've used just 5-bits creating a pulse at 2MHz that toggles a register (clk_1MHz_reg  <= ~clk_1MHz_reg), which is effectively doing the same thing.

I'm unsure why you wish to avoid combinatorial logic, I would create pulses for positive edges and negative edges combinatorially, but of course use these to toggle registers driven by the main clock.

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
ahh you're right - I had a brain fart.  A 6-bit counter is needed, counting from 0 to 39 would do, the 1MHz negative edge would be at count = 20, its positive edge pulse would be at 0.

I always find it easier to think in terms of periods, not frequencies.

The 20MHz period is 50 ns. If you count 40 of them it'll be 2 us. That's not what you need for 1 MHz.

You need to count to 10 (0 to 9). Then you get a period of 50*10 = 500 ns. Then you toggle it at the end. Holding the signal up for one counter period and down for the next one will give you 500 ns + 500 ns = 1 us - exactly what you need for 1 MHz.

You can get Posedge and Negedge through combinatorial logic:

Posedge is (counter == 0) & signal
Negedge is (counter == 0) & !signal

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Yup I noticed that shortly after posting, double brainfart.

Sorry for the confusion

Thank you all of you, I did implement the design similarly, The only thing I am having a trouble understanding is if for 1MHz  i need a counter that counts from 0-9 and toggles then I can do it with 4 bit counter isnt it? Why would I need a 5 bit counter?

I had designed it using a 5 bit counter and I am trying to do the same with 4 bit and no difference

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
Why would I need a 5 bit counter?

You certainly don't need 5 bits.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Whilst I don't want to confuse you further - I am already guilty of posting stuff that was far from helpful - you're correct that you only need a 4-bit counter.

If you generate a pulse that toggles a register/flipflop, then in a way you are dividing that pulse frequency by 2, or rather, multiplying its period by 2, since each pulse is creating a transition, and a period requires two transitions.  So a counter, counting from 0-9, with a pulse at counter == 0, would create a pulse at the clock frequency / 10.  20MHz / 10 = 2MHz.  Using that pulse train to toggle a register would mean that register toggles at 1MHz - so that toggled register can be thought of as a 5-th bit of the counter, its just not included in the counter as it is toggled outside of it.

It's a minor, and somewhat pointless detail, since what has been posted here works just fine. 

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
Just use a PLL (don’t take the advice of your boss or co-worker.) and be done with it.
For example, here are some: (many vendors and variants to choose from)

https://www.idt.com/products/clocks-timing/clock-generation/clocks-general-purpose

I could do it for you but unfortunately I am a engineering consultant and prefer to work for $$.

@grouchobyte

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
Just use a PLL ...

I don't think OP's professor would accept this solution  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf