Author Topic: dev-lang/erlang, who is using ?  (Read 7606 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
dev-lang/erlang, who is using ?
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:50:28 pm »
hi guys
I am going to emerge dev-lang/erlang for a laptop/x86 machine, glibc profiled

Code: [Select]
*  dev-lang/erlang
      Latest version: 17.5
      Homepage:      http://www.erlang.org/
      Description:   Erlang programming language, runtime environment, and large collection of libraries
      License:       ErlPL-1.1

The erlang package seems to be unsupported by "arm" and "mips", perhaps a missing ebuild check in gentoo portage  :-//
(they look "~", which never looks good -> sometimes it means bracken/not-working, and bad things will happen)

btw, who is using this language, and in case, for which purpose ?

I am going to install because I got requested by my "tutor" for a computer science course  :popcorn:

Offline neil555

• Contributor
Re: dev-lang/erlang, who is using ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »
Jeez, what a horrific looking language  :palm: |O

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 08:25:09 pm »
I used Erlang few times for short projects. It is a functional (as oppose to procedural like C or Pascal) language designed by Ericsson and it is designed to support somewhat extreme degrees of parallelism on single CPU - in Erlang program it is not uncommon to have 1000s of threads - it is because threads in Erlang are very cheap. Ericsson used it to program phone switching equipment. Needless to say that all information is freely available on internet. Erlang is very nice, elegant language.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:49:58 pm »
Erlang is great for multi-threaded SAFE transactional programming. :)

It takes a while getting used to but even small machines can support 1000's of threads running in " parallel "

It is designed to run 24-7 applications - and can be updated and upgraded while running (if you design right)

It is easy to make " RPC " and run same program over many machines

There are a lot of big big Erlang systems around - I think Facebook chat backend is one of them and WhatsApp as well (http://www.fastcompany.com/3026758/inside-erlang-the-rare-programming-language-behind-whatsapps-success)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:11:08 pm »
(they look "~", which never looks good -> sometimes it means bracken/not-working, and bad things will happen)

That is not at all what it means.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:46:28 pm »
I've played a little with it,not proficient with it.

I think erlang will become very relevant in the near future with cpus with hundreds of cores.
Also I think it's a good language for fpga soft cores.

It's strength is the messaging system and the  in memory database mnesia.

Don't know enough yet to see if it could actually act as an HDL directly. But if possible I think that would be cool.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:50:25 pm »
Interesting interviews with Joe Armstrong:

Article:
https://globalengineer.wordpress.com/2008/09/12/joe-armstrong-interviews-erlang-and-fpgas/

JAOO 2007: Joe Armstrong - On Erlang, OO, Concurrency, Shared State and the Future, Part 1
https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/charles/jaoo-2007-joe-armstrong-on-erlang-oo-concurrency-shared-state-and-the-future-part-1

JAOO 2007: Joe Armstrong - On Erlang, OO, Concurrency, Shared State and the Future, Part 2
https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/charles/jaoo-2007-joe-armstrong-on-erlang-oo-concurrency-shared-state-and-the-future-part-2

ejabberd is done in erlang (XMPP server)
So is mongoose (XMPP server as well) whatsup uses this.
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/products/mongooseim.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:57:01 pm by miguelvp »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:44:40 am »

I am a gentoo user since 2005, and I am experienced with gentoo-{ ppc, mips, hppa, arm, x86 }

try to force emerge erlang on arm, all the ebuilds are marked as "~", results: it does not compile!
try to force compile on mips, all the ebuilds are marked as "~", results: it compiles, but it's bugged, and you have to downgrade

cat # my-emerge-log.txt
2015-12-05 - emerge  dev-lang/erlang - arm - failure - root
2015-12-05 - emerge  dev-lang/erlang - mips - success - root - downgraded
2015-12-05 - emerge  dev-lang/erlang - ppc - success - root
2015-12-05 - emerge  dev-lang/erlang - x86 - success - root
2015-12-05 - emerge  dev-lang/erlang - hppa - failure - root

corollary: practically it means "keep attention to the bell"  :D

btw, are you able to emerge erland on arm ? if so, let me know

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 12:47:44 am »
Don't know enough yet to see if it could actually act as an HDL directly. But if possible I think that would be cool.

cool  :D

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:56:34 am »
gentoo, keywording

~arch: { ~mips, ~arm, ~hppa, ~ppc, ~x86 }
The package version and the ebuild are believed to work and do not have any known serious bugs, but more testing is required before the package version is considered suitable for arch.

If a package has no keyword for a given arch, it means it is not known whether the package will work, or that insufficient testing has occurred for ~arch.

In my experience, the "believed" assumption is almost always False with { arm, mips, hppa }, due to the man power that these architecture require before the package version is considered suitable for arch.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:23 am »

I am a gentoo user since 2005, and I am experienced with gentoo-{ ppc, mips, hppa, arm, x86 }

Same here, and I will tell you quite authoritively, the ~ keyword indicates that it has not been tested to be marked stable. It does not mean it is broken.

You can, in fact, run a very stable, working machine on ~x86 or ~amd64.

btw, are you able to emerge erland on arm ? if so, let me know

I don't use ARM.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 03:02:54 am »

It takes a while getting used to but even small machines can support 1000's of threads running in " parallel "

It is designed to run 24-7 applications - and can be updated and upgraded while running (if you design right)

There are a lot of big big Erlang systems around - I think Facebook chat backend is one of them and WhatsApp as well (http://www.fastcompany.com/3026758/inside-erlang-the-rare-programming-language-behind-whatsapps-success)

How would you compare it to golang? - the list above sounds like an ad for go, (except for the update-while-running)..

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:40:32 am by matseng »

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:13 am »
Github is partially implemented in Erlang.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 07:38:08 am »

How would you compare it to golang? - the list above sounds like an ad for go, (except for the update-while-running)..
I do not have any experience with Go apart from trying it for 15 min. Erlang is a bit complex to learn - but once you get the hang of it - it is not too bad. There are btw a lot of MQTT implementations in Erlang as well as it is very suited for (buzzword alert) IoT stuff as well.

I once did a " number portability system " for a Telco in Java - and had I known Erlang at the time - I should have used that. Thread overhead is so small and once it is running - breaking down rarely happens. Where as in Java you can get all kinds of weirdo stuff happening. It has been a while since I have done anything serious in Erlang - but the " worst " thing about Erlang is there was no great IDE's at the time - so if you only dip in and out - you did not get help from Syntax Highlights and mouse overs like you do in many great IDE's now. But at the time there was quite a few IDE's on the way. I don't know the status now.

But for me - any programming language is a tool - and each language / tool has it's specific uses and use cases. I started with Z80 assembler when I was a kid (ZX80 kit) - moved on to 6502's basic and assembler - them fell in love with BBC B Micro Procedural Basic :) and then by chance got a free copy of Poly Pascal from the Man himself (Anders Hejlsberg) - then Turbo Pascal (Borland bought Poly Pascal) - then Turbo C - then Turbo C++ (which I never got the hang off) - then Python, some Java and today - most of my things are in C or C# and Python. I do find Java a pain in the backside due to version fragmentation so I only do Java if i ABSOLUTELY have to.

But if I need transaction based stuff - I will go to Erlang without a doubt.  So each language has it's own usage. And each language has it's " followers/fanatics " of whom you should never listen to for too long  :) but be pragmatic as read use cases for each - and select the right language for the current job at hand. You would not use a hammer to put in a screw in a wall would you? (if you had a screw driver available and knew how to use it....) If it is just one screw you might be fine using a hammer - result won't be pretty but it might work :) But if you are building a house you would take the time to learn how to use a screw driver. :)

Offline paf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
You have more info on Erlang and embedded systems at: http://www.erlang-embedded.com

The "thing" about Erlang is the message passing model for parallelism and the "let it fail" philosophy.

In Erlang you build lots of independent processes that communicate sending messages. No locks, no shared memory, no semaphores, no contention.  That's also how hardware works or should work. There is no globally shared data.

If you want/need globally shared data, give it to a process and communicate with it with messages. Make a server.

When a process starts another, it can "ask the system" for a message when the created process "crashes".  So you can have very easily an  hierarchy of "supervisor" processes watching "workers" and restarting them when one "dies". 

It may not suitable for the "embedded" side near the sensors, but if you need to connect hundreds or thousands of embedded systems, or clients or whatever, you better look into Erlang.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 10:31:08 am »
Same here, and I will tell you quite authoritatively

YoMan, "authoritatively"  :o :o :o

the ~ keyword indicates that it has not been tested to be marked stable. It does not mean it is broken.

"authoritatively" smells you have written the guide without any practical experience!
"practically" it often means that it is not known whether the package will work

portage/dev-lang/gnat-gcc/gnat-gcc-4.6.4.ebuild 
SRC_URI="ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${PV}/gcc-core-${PV}.tar.bz2
        ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${PV}/gcc-ada-${PV}.tar.bz2
        amd64? ( https://dev.gentoo.org/~george/src/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-amd64.tar.bz2 )
        sparc? ( https://dev.gentoo.org/~george/src/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-sparc.tar.bz2 )
        x86?   ( https://dev.gentoo.org/~george/src/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-i686.tar.bz2 )"
#       ppc?   ( mirror://gentoo/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-ppc.tar.bz2 )

KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"

dev-lang/gnat-gcc/gnat-gcc-4.1.2.ebuild
# SLOT is set in gnatbuild.eclass, depends only on PV (basically SLOT=GCCBRANCH)
# so the URI's are static.
SRC_URI="ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${PV}/gcc-core-${PV}.tar.bz2
        ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${PV}/gcc-ada-${PV}.tar.bz2
        ppc?   ( mirror://gentoo/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-ppc.tar.bz2 )
        x86?   ( mirror://gentoo/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-i386.tar.bz2 )
        amd64? ( mirror://gentoo/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-amd64.tar.bz2 )"

KEYWORDS="amd64 ~ppc x86"

do you see a bootstrap for arm? mips? hppa?
OK, it's coherent with the KEYWORDS

If a package has NO-KEYWORDS for a given arch, it means it is not known whether the package will work, or that insufficient testing has occurred for ~arch.

in this case it means: there is no bootstrap for a given arch[]={ mips, hppa, arm }

do you see the difference between dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.1.2 && dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.6.4 ?
~ppc had been removed from KEYWORDS (4.6.4), do you know why ?

~ppc did not compile at all -> it was broken on ppc!
indeed, on ppc (my Apple PowerBook-G4 laptop) I had to manually fix the problem, cloning the ebuild into an Overlay

edit:
I am going to do something similar in order to support { mips, arm }, more specifically I am going to create a few bootstraps

mips?   ( mylan://overlay/supfiles/dev-lang/gnat-gcc/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}mips.tar.bz2 )
        arm?   ( mylan://overlay/supfiles/dev-lang/gnat-gcc/gnatboot-${BOOT_SLOT}-arm.tar.bz2 )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:49:29 am by legacy »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 10:31:49 am »
Github is partially implemented in Erlang.

nice to know, I will grab the source code  :-+
( I am curious )

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:02 am »
You have more info on Erlang and embedded systems at: http://www.erlang-embedded.com

extremely impressive, thank you for the link  :-+
I can do something similar with a few hundred PPC embedded boards

edit:
~200 tiny boards on a rack-stack, they are PPC405GP, provided by my university for R&D purposes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:39:31 am by legacy »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 10:37:45 am »
But if I need transaction based stuff - I will go to Erlang without a doubt.  So each language has it's own usage. And each language has it's " followers/fanatics " of whom you should never listen to for too long  :) but be pragmatic as read use cases for each - and select the right language for the current job at hand. You would not use a hammer to put in a screw in a wall would you? (if you had a screw driver available and knew how to use it....) If it is just one screw you might be fine using a hammer - result won't be pretty but it might work :) But if you are building a house you would take the time to learn how to use a screw driver. :)

How boringly sensible and rational.

BTW, the key point about Erlang is the lack of shared state (let alone global state). That means
  • there are no unpleasant surprises when multiprocessor caches and memory hierarchy interact in rare strange ways
  • there are no unpleasant surprises when processing scalability requires another computer is added
  • upgrading a running system is trivial: just direct the stream of messages to the upgraded actor, and remove the existing actor when its message queue is empty
  • distributed systems which viciously demonstrate L Peter Deutsch's "eight fallacies of distributed computing" (think IoT) are easier to make reliable if they embody Erlang's philosophy
I don't know of any other language that makes those important benefits trivial to implement.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 10:39:21 am »

Golang is unproven. Erlang is proven, with decades of experience in large critical systems.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 02:51:03 pm »
make[3]: *** [../ebin/hipe_consttab.beam] Aborted
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe/misc'
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/otp_subdir.mk:28: recipe for target 'opt' failed
make[2]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe'
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/otp_subdir.mk:28: recipe for target 'opt' failed
make[1]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib'
Makefile:533: recipe for target 'secondary_bootstrap_build' failed
make: *** [secondary_bootstrap_build] Error 2
emake failed
 * ERROR: dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   (no error message)
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  93:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 4133:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die;
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1::gentoo'`.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME=""
JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info =erlang-15.2.3.1
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1:

*   (no error message)
 * Call stack:
 *       emake || die;
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03'
done,logged!

no way to get erlang on arm, I have to investigate  :-//
(erlang is ~arm)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 02:54:03 pm »
You might start a few lines higher where the actual error will be.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 03:18:51 pm »
armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed  -o /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/bin/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/epmd /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/obj/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/epmd.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/obj/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/epmd_cli.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/obj/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/epmd_srv.o  -lutil -ldl -lm   -L../../lib/internal/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi -lerts_internal  -lm
make[4]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/epmd/src'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/epmd/src'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/epmd'
make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/lib_src'
make -f armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/Makefile TYPE=opt
make[3]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/lib_src'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/lib_src'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts/lib_src'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/erts'
cd lib && \
  ERL_TOP=/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03 PATH=/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/bootstrap/bin:"${PATH}" \
make opt SECONDARY_BOOTSTRAP=true
make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib'
make[2]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe'
Makefile:71: warning: overriding recipe for target 'clean'
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/otp_subdir.mk:28: warning: ignoring old recipe for target 'clean'
=== Entering application hipe
make[3]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe/misc'
erlc -W  +debug_info +warn_exported_vars +warn_missing_spec +warn_untyped_record -o../ebin hipe_consttab.erl
A newer kernel is required to run this binary. (__kernel_cmpxchg64 helper)
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/otp.mk:116: recipe for target '../ebin/hipe_consttab.beam' failed
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe/misc'
make[2]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe'
make[1]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib'
Makefile:533: recipe for target 'secondary_bootstrap_build' failed
make: *** [secondary_bootstrap_build] Error 2
emake failed
 *   (no error message)
 * Call stack:
 *       emake || die;
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME=""
JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info =erlang-15.2.3.1

>>> Failed to emerge dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1:

*   (no error message)
 * Call stack:
 *       emake || die;
done,logged!

/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/otp_subdir.mk:28: warning: ignoring old recipe for target 'clean'
=== Entering application hipe
make[3]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/lib/hipe/misc'
erlc -W  +debug_info +warn_exported_vars +warn_missing_spec +warn_untyped_record -o../ebin hipe_consttab.erl
A newer kernel is required to run this binary. (__kernel_cmpxchg64 helper)
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/erlang-15.2.3.1/work/otp_src_R15B03/make/armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/otp.mk:116: recipe for target '../ebin/hipe_consttab.beam' failed

the same ebuild had success on ppc/x86/mips

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »
You're running a kernel that old?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »
can you define "old", pre NPTL ?
if so, no, I am on 2.6.39 & 3.3.8 with the same result :-//

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »
I wonder if it means "kernel with devtmpfs", which might be a modern feature  :-//

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
oh man / gcc-4.7 / libgcc / config / arm / linux-atomic-64bit.c

/* Check that the kernel has a new enough version at load.  */
static void __check_for_sync8_kernelhelper (void)
{
  if (__kernel_helper_version < 5)
    {
      const char err[] = "A newer kernel is required to run this binary. "
"(__kernel_cmpxchg64 helper)\n";
      /* At this point we need a way to crash with some information
for the user - I'm not sure I can rely on much else being
available at this point, so do the same as generic-morestack.c
write () and abort ().  */

WTFrog  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 03:57:21 pm »
I wonder if it means "kernel with devtmpfs", which might be a modern feature  :-//

No, it means "kernel with support for 64-bit atomic operations on <ARMv7 CPUs".

3.3.8 should cover that.. but is still utterly ancient.

For now I suggest trying a kernel from the last oh, two or so years..

What else is four years out of date on your machines?!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:59:56 pm by Monkeh »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »
What else is four years out of date on your machines?!

It's a product of ACME System, still for sale!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf