Author Topic: Do those EBAY Arduino PRO MINI ATMEGA328 boards for $3 have a bootloader?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:29:02 am by wilfred »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
I have heard some do and others do not.
I think they would not really be an Arduino of any kind if they do not. But that is not going to stop them on Ebay.

Yes they do (unless the seller/factory forgot to program them, which is always possible of course).

I've brought in quite a lot of them (some for use, some for resale), and never, touch wood, had a bad one.  Although I don't buy them from ebay.

Just watch that they have a 328 on them, I've seen them being sold with the 168.

Of course if you were unlucky to get one without a bootloader, you'll just need a second working one to act as ISP to load the bootloader on the dud.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
Out of 5 from the same seller, I've received one with a dead MCU, and another without the bootloader. But they were the best looking assemblies, go figure.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
i have used maybe 20 - 25 of those, mostly pro micro. they all worked as avr. i tried arduino on maybe 3 - 5 of them and none failed.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Zeta

• Contributor
I have heard some do and others do not.
I think they would not really be an Arduino of any kind if they do not. But that is not going to stop them on Ebay.

Yes they do (unless the seller/factory forgot to program them, which is always possible of course).

I've brought in quite a lot of them (some for use, some for resale), and never, touch wood, had a bad one.  Although I don't buy them from ebay.

Just watch that they have a 328 on them, I've seen them being sold with the 168.

Of course if you were unlucky to get one without a bootloader, you'll just need a second working one to act as ISP to load the bootloader on the dud.
would you share your source ?

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
are you hoping to shave of $0.02 cents?    :scared:

ha!  Just asking it it can get any lower!

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor

ive not worked with those, only the full size dev boards (just pry out the ic and use that in any permanent circuits) but wouldnt you need a 2nd arduino to act as an isp to program one of these reguardless? 

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
ive not worked with those, only the full size dev boards (just pry out the ic and use that in any permanent circuits) but wouldnt you need a 2nd arduino to act as an isp to program one of these reguardless?

Not sure what you're asking, but if the bootloader has been programmed, then you can use a USB-Serial adapter to program it, the Pro Mini's have standard 6 pin FTDI pinout for a header.

You only need an ISP (if it's real, or an arduino acting as one, or some other means) to actually load the bootloader initially.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
[You only need an ISP (if it's real, or an arduino acting as one, or some other means) to actually load the bootloader initially.

Those USB/serial adapters are compatible with the Arduino IDE which use the DTR signal to reset the board to access the bootloader.

BTW, I have had good results with this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crius-FTDI-Basic-Breakout-Arduino-USB-TTL-6-PIN-3-3-5V-for-MWC-MultiWii-Lite-/251317473754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a83b051da

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior

Not sure what you're asking, but if the bootloader has been programmed, then you can use a USB-Serial adapter to program it, the Pro Mini's have standard 6 pin FTDI pinout for a header.

You only need an ISP (if it's real, or an arduino acting as one, or some other means) to actually load the bootloader initially.

Or if you wish you can upload sketches using the IDE using the 'upload using programmer' thus eliminating the need for a bootloader and a USB serial converter cable/module altogether to upload programs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf