Author Topic: I don't want FTDI, what are my options?  (Read 13995 times)

Offline TheCharels

• Contributor
Re: I don't want FTDI, what are my options?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »
It is apparent that FTDI makes a useful device with good software to support it in the Windows operating system. This has made their products an attractive  target for dishonest business practices. Many of the posts in this thread hold FTDI responsible for problems that are the result of using counterfeit chips.

The manufacturers of these chips made them with the full knowledge and intent to defraud and deceive the purchaser of these devices.

That these posts are so strident in their claims of FTDIs responsibility suggest that the methods used by FTDI are effective to some degree.

From what I have seen so far the complaints about FTDIs actions look like self serving winging because a counterfeiter has managed to dupe you.

If this was about currency not chips a receiver of a fraudulent note commits a crime when knowingly passing that note to another party. In many countries the receiver of such a note is required to confiscate it and report who it was received from.

Are fake products really any less of an issue than fake currency?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:57:35 pm by TheCharels »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 09:02:49 pm »
LOL, FTDI sock puppets are out in force :)

How about just sticking to the topic, there are other threads for defending FTDI.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline xtoffer

• Contributor
  • A CS turned electronic hobbyist.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:43 pm »
Hi All,

I have seen it's possible to program an AVR chip to function as an USB device. I have tried a few of those projects, but they did not work for me. Probably the problem is between keyboard and chair :-)

Does anybody know a working USB to serial AVR solution? This will allow me to choose from a wide array of packages, from dip to ultra small.

Kind regards,
Cedric

I have tried the V-USB library. I must say it works very well so far. I think there are a few versions of "to serial" out there. However, the USB implementation is very timing dependent and if you're looking for something stable and/or fast I would probably advice against it. Very much fun to experiment with though! :D

( Oh and googled this up, seems to be in this direction. I have not tested this though. http://www.recursion.jp/prose/avrcdc/ )

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28:31 pm »
Are fake products really any less of an issue than fake currency?
History has shown that when currency is no longer reliable people simply move over to a more reliable currency whether it is fake or inflates faster than a fart. See Zimbabwe for example where they abandoned their own currency and use several foreign ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwean_dollar

To get back to FTDI... take a look at this Ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pin-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-Replace-Ft232-Module-/400565980256
This guy sold over 10000 USB to UART converters based on a Silabs chip specifically to replace the now non-working FT232 FTDI boards. Hell no they are going to try and find real FTDI chips; they take the route where there is the least resistance and more importantly: guaranteerd to work for the end user! The result is that because of just this one Ebay listing around 10000 people now have a Silabs chip as an example instead of a chip which says FTDI. 10000 pieces is not a lot in direct sales but quite a few of these people will end up using the 'chip they know' in a design which could go into a reasonable volume production run. Add to that that driver support is no longer an issue with Windows 10 because every popular USB-UART bridge (finally) works out of the box.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:18:17 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 07:49:09 pm »
I've switched to using the MCP2221 for just about everything. It works without drivers in any modern OS (Win 8+,Linux, OSX), and has a bunch of nice-to-haves as well (ADC, I2C, GPIOs).

What MCP isn't telling you though is that the MCP2221 is actually just a PIC with factory loaded firmware and different labels. :)   Not that it matters in the end, but it's a fun fact.

I do however have two minor issues with the MCP2221.
The first one is that it won't go faster than 115200bps, and I have exactly _one_ device that insists on running 921600bps (yep, almost a megabit over serial).
The second one is that it won't go lower than 3.0V, so if you're interfacing with 1.8V stuff, you'll need to level-shift.

Offline Philfreeze

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
I've switched to using the MCP2221 for just about everything. It works without drivers in any modern OS (Win 8+,Linux, OSX), and has a bunch of nice-to-haves as well (ADC, I2C, GPIOs).

What MCP isn't telling you though is that the MCP2221 is actually just a PIC with factory loaded firmware and different labels. :)   Not that it matters in the end, but it's a fun fact.

I do however have two minor issues with the MCP2221.
The first one is that it won't go faster than 115200bps, and I have exactly _one_ device that insists on running 921600bps (yep, almost a megabit over serial).
The second one is that it won't go lower than 3.0V, so if you're interfacing with 1.8V stuff, you'll need to level-shift.

You could use the PIC16F1455 for 1.8V stuff but you would have to write your own firmware (not really hard because microchip already has a USB library with lots of examples; the USB part would be up and running in less than a day). It has pretty much everything you need and it only has 14 pins (available as PDIP, QFN, SOIC, TSSOP and UQFN), pretty cool.
I haven't looked yet but maybe they actually have an example that does exactly that.

Edit:
The PIC16F1455 also only costs 1.3$ to 1.45$ (depending on the package) and you can use the internal oscillator (16MHz) with PLL to generate the required 48MHz clock. Which means you don't need any fancy additional parts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:41:05 am by Philfreeze »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 10:43:15 am »
IIRC there are issues with Microchip on-chip USB transceivers that prevent Vdd being less than Vusb, and Vusb must be 3.3V to provide the correct USB signalling levels.  Therefore external level shifting will be unavoidable.

Offline Philfreeze

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 11:39:08 am »
IIRC there are issues with Microchip on-chip USB transceivers that prevent Vdd being less than Vusb, and Vusb must be 3.3V to provide the correct USB signalling levels.  Therefore external level shifting will be unavoidable.

Yeah I just saw that. They state it in the maximum electrical characteristics.
Vusb is Vdd +/- 0.3V and Vusb must be between 3.0V and 3.6V

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »
Is there an easier way to follow a thread than writing a post?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
The button right next to 'reply'.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 05:16:56 pm »
Thanks! Now I know  ;D

Offline kalan01r

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »
I'm using ch340 for a while. And i found many problems with them. First of all i would like to notice that most my work with them i'm doing on windows xp (USB 2.0) They seemed not to work on long usb cable. FTDI or ATmega (used by arduino) have no such problem. Also sometimes, when i plug it in, i see "device not recognized" message. After plugging it in and out many times (sometimes i need to reset windows) they start working. With Arduino sometimes solution is to unplug all shields and other devices connected. I have also tested them on windows 7, but results were same. I have no idea if it's problem with windows driver, or power, or anything else. I think i should test them on linux... But problem with long usb cable will stay. Or maybe long cable is only on cheap arduino with ch340 ?

Offline matkar

• Regular Contributor
  • Sixty percent of the time it works EVERY time.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 09:30:22 pm »
So your CH340 experience is limited to Arduino clones?
I have two Arduino Nano clones which I never used. By looking at the circuit board I can see they are using resonators to get the 12MHz clock for the CH340. I wonder how on earth does any of the clones manage to function in the first place...
I'm using CH340 with a proper 12MHz crystal in one of my projects and I have no such issues.

Offline kalan01r

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 09:41:20 am »
This problems i have only with arduino mega. I testested about 15 of them, same problems each. I assume that they are from same manufacturer. On monday i will be able to test those mega. I will measure frequency of that resonator. Now i have just uno board, and it seems to working fine. On monday i'll find out if it cause problem on my windows xp pc

edit.
 I forgot to mention that i have few usb to rs232 ttl converters based on PL2303, and i have no problem with them. All of them works perfect.

edit2.
  Here is comparison of Arduino Uno (CH1), and Mega (CH2). Probes are connected to pin 10 of CH340. All seems fine. My oscilloscope is SDS 1052DL

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:43:54 am by kalan01r »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:46 am »
yeah, i wouldn't rely on any cheap china products (arduinos etc.) as an indication if a specific USB to Serial chip is good.
They are cheap because they use either counterfeit or legit but rejected parts.

My experiences with USB to serial in terms of reliability is

FT232RL = very good
CP2102 / CP2109 = perfectly ok
Anything Prolific = shit

FTDI pissed me off with the whole FTDIgate bricking thing, so i use CP21xx in my designs now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:57:45 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 05:59:53 pm »
So far none of my CH340G's failed on me.

WCH, the maker of CH340G, never authorized any of those major distributors (Farnell, Mouser, etc) to sell their chips anyway, and users of their chips usually go directly to them for chips (and they ship them directly from their factory in Nanjing.) If you are interested you can DM me your address and I can send you a few from my own stock so you can try them out yourself.

Or you can use one of those bitbang USB firmware on a 8-pin (ATtiny25) or 14-pin (ATtiny24) MCU

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
In other words, they don't want to sell them.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 07:56:05 pm »
In other words, they don't want to sell them.
Those major distributors was never "big" or "well known" in China. Also Chinese chip manufacturers may have legal issues selling their chips through those distributors since they are not domestically-owned companies and such sales may require an exporting license, which is fairly difficult to obtain. This is China with its weird legal system we are tackling now.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 12:37:55 am »
To take a side road, I use an FTDI 4232 configured for 4 UARTS.  Is there an alternative chip out there?
My project actually requires 4 streams between a microcontroller and a PC.  I run as many as 3 instances of Hyperterminal.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 01:24:35 am »
To take a side road, I use an FTDI 4232 configured for 4 UARTS.  Is there an alternative chip out there?
My project actually requires 4 streams between a microcontroller and a PC.  I run as many as 3 instances of Hyperterminal.

CP2108

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 03:54:40 am »
Thanks

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 03:10:09 pm »
I would avoid prolific. 

I've used several cheapo cables with these devices, and whilst they could easily have been counterfeit devices, it was a pain.  It could cause the PC to freeze, but mostly just the driver crashed requiring an unplugging/plugging cycle.

the CP2102 seems very stable on win7,8.1 and 10.

Failing that, I'm a fanboy of the PIC16F1455.  Probably overkill, but occasionally using a micro you have full control over (rather than a permanently programmed micro like these other devices) means you can load off some tasks from other systems. There are a few examples of USB-serial bridges with it where you can add your own code for anything else you need.  Otherwise its just a case of flashing it and it works (never had issue with them).

I accidentally bought a Prolific RS232 to USB cable to program Asian Walkie Talkies.  It works 'enough' but I do sometimes have to switch ports to get the computer to recognize the radio.  It hasn't annoyed me enough yet as I am only doing it for people at my ham radio club meeting but as some point, I will get a proper FTDI cable.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 03:34:02 pm »
I accidentally bought a Prolific RS232 to USB cable to program Asian Walkie Talkies.  It works 'enough' but I do sometimes have to switch ports to get the computer to recognize the radio.  It hasn't annoyed me enough yet as I am only doing it for people at my ham radio club meeting but as some point, I will get a proper FTDI cable.
Chances that you got genuine prolific are rather slim IMO. They are widely cloned too.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
FT230X,  cheaper than FT232 and I have not heard about any clones or fakes being around.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf