Author Topic: Electronic Microscope  (Read 2376 times)

Offline luiHSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Electronic Microscope
« on: September 12, 2018, 04:27:27 pm »
Hello.

I am interested in buying an electronic microscope, which is lightweight and takes up little space on the table.

I already have a quality optical microscope, trinocular with camera and articulated arm (first attached picture), but I do not like the camera of this model, besides it is not very practical for quick checks.

That's why I want to buy an electron microscope model, that has a quality image and does not take up much space on my work table, with HDMI output so that if necessary I can connect it to my 32-inch monitor of my computer, in case I need to see something bigger and with higher resolution.

A friend has suggested me the ADSM302 of this link on Aliexpress (second attached picture): https://es.aliexpress.com/item/-/32919243872.html

Any suggestions, experiences with these devices, some better model, lighter, that occupies little space in the work table, with a screen of at least 5 inches and HDMI output?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:32:27 pm by luiHS »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Electronic Microscope
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:36:35 pm »
For $170, it will probably be a little better than a toy. I would try one before you buy... if not it's not much to write off, give it to the kids or something.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:54 am »
I don't think the Adonstars are toys at all. I like mine ;D They have one deficiency which is easily corrected. The stand when used in the normal upright position is too small. Look at the way this youtuber has mounted his inverted:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdbIOX6TLcc&feature=youtu.be

or this side by side comparison:

The adonstar will also benefit from an additional light, I like to have a third full-size LED goose-neck lamp  shining in at an angle as well as an external monitor. I do not use it for soldering or other hands on work as I prefer the lower magnification and real time stereoscopic vision of a headband magnifying visor.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:29 pm »
I was going to say "unless someone has hands on experience and recommends it", so thanks for that info. Some of the Chinese stuff is decent quality and good value.

I do not use it for soldering or other hands on work as I prefer the lower magnification and real time stereoscopic vision of a headband magnifying visor.

What do you use it for?
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:06:30 pm »
These are good for board inspection and taking pictures of boards but once you try an optical stereo microscope, you will never go back to one of these. It is just not comparable, even with the cheapest optical microscope (no zoom, no camera, no fancy boom etc.).

The image quality, the inevitable video lag (a bit better with those having a HDMI output directly, terrible with the USB ones) and the lack of depth perception which makes any component manipulation difficult are the largest differences.

You can get this one for less than the Andonstar in the video:
https://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/5x-10x-binocular-boom-arm-stereo-microscope-light.html

Or if you must have a digital microscope, this one costs about the same and has much better working distance (and pretty much everything else):
https://www.amscope.com/10x-45x-track-mounted-stereo-zoom-microscope-with-dual-lighting-1.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:53:55 pm by janoc »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:17 pm »
Dave made a couple videos on the topic. Just look them up.
I think one of the best solutions are Tagarno products: https://www.tagarno.com/

As janoc said, no matter what you try, nothing beats an optical stereo microscope for hand soldering. And even a cheap one will be adequate for prototyping needs (and will end up being cheaper than a decent video microscope), and way better than a video one.

I built a diy video microscope as some of us have, with a full HD cam, an objective lense that I gathered from an old microscope, using the HDMI output to a full HD monitor. Lag is OK with the HDMI output although it's still noticeable. Image quality is great, I get a good zooming factor. But for hand soldering... it's usable but annoying. Really.

PS: I would avoid using the "electronic microscope" term, it sounds too much like an electron microscope IMO, which is a whole other beast. A "video microscope" or "digital microscope" may be better terms.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:32:48 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:25:57 am »
I was going to say "unless someone has hands on experience and recommends it", so thanks for that info. Some of the Chinese stuff is decent quality and good value.
What do you use it for?

Relaxed head up looking into a 1080p monitor for board inspection, part numbers , reverse engineering that kind of thing. My use pattern and setup is still evolving but is getting close to optimal now. I discovered I stick to two ranges of magnification a high range of maybe 25x with the andonstar looking at solder joints, and a low range of 1.75-2.5x when I have a tool in my hand and need the immediate stereoscopic vision and free head movement of a visor.

I use these Donegan  Optisight  visors: https://www.amazon.ca/Donegan-OptiSIGHT-Binocular-Magnifying-Visor/dp/B0006O8RXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536888848&sr=8-3&keywords=donegan+optisight

Note the plural visor(s). There is a sub-story here. In the past two+ years there has been a real drop-off in the delay and reliability of getting parts from china/ebay/ali to Canada. When they do come it is like 3 months later, and I have had small parts go missing/not shipped, for example I tried to buy cheap STM32f030 twice! The last time in may 25 from gc_supermarket a big ebayer, still haven't arrived. Meanwhile other parts like a used OCXO from RF_buy have come somewhat promptly. I am pretty sure most of the time is spent in Canada customs. Now I don't want to make an ebay complaint if the thing is sitting in customs. I did last year for an LCD display that was way overdue and as I was negotiating with the seller it showed up in my mailbox 4 days later. Very frustrating. If I give the seller the benefit of the doubt then I have to wait months and my complaint eligibility  expires. So when I once would have waited for  an ultra-cheap knock-off visor from China I said to myself forget it  just buy the overpriced Donegan and get it now. So I bought the first one and it came from Seattle in a few days.

Great, except it was missing the additional lenses! It did however have the 2 diopter lens in the frame and after using it  for a bit I fell in love. I didn't want to send it back. I suspect someone else bought this item just to steal the extra lenses and then got a refund. I realized I wanted the higher diopter lenses and I wanted a second frame anyway so that I could switch magnifications  promptly without putting finger print grease on the lens. The frames come in different colors so I got the second one in a different color and it sat in customs (Richmond BC Canada post facility) for 24 days (sigh) |O. At least this time it had all the lenses. I also bought a 7 diopter lens separately. At the time that treasure of acrylic  cost more than the complete visor with 3 lenses  :palm:. They are cheaper now.

I used to have perfect vision but now have just enough astigmatism to make detailed near vision problematic. It also complicates any magnifier solution. The Donegan frames allow me to wear corrective glasses inside the visor with complete comfort. With the magnifier bale tilted up, so that I am just looking through the glasses I often forget I have it on. I keep a 4 diopter lens in one frame and a 7 diopter in the other. They also allow good peripheral vision so you can see and pick up tools  off the bench without having to shift your head. Because you bring the magnifier to the object of interest and not the other way around (as with a stereo microscope) the visors  can be used in my garage for metal work scribing lines, aligning punches ect. The one disadvantage of the visors is that the working distance could be bigger, so I have my face closer to the action and fumes than I would like. A fan to push or suck the flux smoke is a necessity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf