Author Topic: Embedded Vision Development Kit- Now $199 (Limited Time Offer)*  (Read 1958 times)

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Embedded Vision Development Kit- Now $199 (Limited Time Offer)*
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:42:38 am »
May be the longest 'limited time' offer I've ever seen bandied about except for some late night television carpet salesmen :)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
For me, the 'catch' is the "evaluation" version of the development tool.  How crippled is it?  If it's full featured, is it time limited?
The board set is clearly doable and, perhaps, worthwhile as an educational experiment (education has NEVER been free) but what I can't afford to do is buy an expensive toolchain when the "evaluation" period runs out.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:59:11 pm »
For me, the 'catch' is the "evaluation" version of the development tool.  How crippled is it?  If it's full featured, is it time limited?
The board set is clearly doable and, perhaps, worthwhile as an educational experiment (education has NEVER been free) but what I can't afford to do is buy an expensive toolchain when the "evaluation" period runs out.
I think it's part-locked to specific part that is onboard, just like many other devkit offerings.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:27:40 pm »
I've noticed that a while ago but the free version of Lattice Diamond doesn't support this part (ECP5UM5G) and I couldn't find if there is a device-locked license with the kit. I've asked this question via "Contact Sales" but got no reply :(

On the website it only says:
"Embedded Vision Development Kit Diamond License Information" - which might mean anything, e.g. a leaflet saying "buy your license now, only $XXX"

For another dev. kit, http://www.latticesemi.com/Products/DevelopmentBoardsAndKits/ECP55GVersaDevKit.aspx it is explicitly stated:
"Diamond Free License - for the ECP5-5G Versa Development Kit Only"

So yeah, cheap dev kit, but then $1000/year for the development environment.

Offline ebclrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:14 am »
It's too good to be true, but it's true, don't  try to find out catches, The software will run but license locked to this device

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:08 pm »
The ZYNQ 7000 is probably still the cheapest option at the moment.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
The ZYNQ 7000 is probably still the cheapest option at the moment.
Good Zynq devboards (==ones that have high-speed connectors) are quite expensive. I think ZedBoard is the cheapest one, and it retails for $495. That is not cheap in my book.

Offline nicklinn

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:51 pm »
Good Zynq devboards (==ones that have high-speed connectors) are quite expensive. I think ZedBoard is the cheapest one, and it retails for $495. That is not cheap in my book.

Really depends on what you are doing.  These guys: http://www.myirtech.com/ have a CPU module for around $140-160 or they sell a board with LPC FMC for $310-330

Offline ebclrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »
This comes with 2  Cameras and a lot of things, is really a nice product at this price

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 09:27:44 pm »
This comes with 2  Cameras and a lot of things, is really a nice product at this price

That's true, however I didn't like the HDMI output, the lack of USB 3.0 is a missed opportunity. If I would buy this kit I would need to design a "cape" to replace the HDMI one with some USB 3.0 interface (Cypress FX3, FT601 or similar).

Also, I don't get this business with the MIPI switch on the cameras board. I know they wanted to feature their product, but is this really a switch so only one camera stream at a time, or some MIPI stream combiner? I was thinking about using this kit for Stereo Vision and in this application I would ideally have 2 streams from sensors running as much as possible in step (clock, settings etc).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf