Author Topic: ESP32 - thoughts on ESP-WROVER-KIT-ESP32.  (Read 1637 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ESP32 - thoughts on ESP-WROVER-KIT-ESP32.
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:24:11 am »
I'm thinking of spending up large on an real ESP32 Devboard, rather than just mucking around on modules without JTAG and so on.

Has anybody got or used a "ESP-WROVER-KIT-ESP32" board? http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/ESP-WROVER-KIT

It looks to be relatively expensive at around US$55 (over 5x the cost of a basic ESP32 module), however it does seem pretty feature rich for the price.

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
Re: ESP32 - thoughts on ESP-WROVER-KIT-ESP32.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:43 am »
Yea i have used them.

They are quite good. A little better than the normal small dev boards.
Main advantage i found, is it uses the ftdi 2232h chip, which can act as a jtag debugger, but also in normal code loading via uart it means you can flash at 2mbaud, which saves a _lot_ of time during development

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:19 am »
It only had one additional feature, LCD. Camera is not something new, it doesn't support MIPI or anything. At the end of the day, the camera is just a parallel camera that you can add easily to any ESP32 module.

This board doesn't have Ethernet. If you are after Ethernet, check out Olimex board.

Just to mention that it's not necessarily the case that this kind of parallel camera will work with any ESP32 module, the high data rates make it quite sensitive to routing and just soldering wires between them won't work.
Sadly the ESP-WROVER-KIT-ESP32 has so much loading on those traces (from all the other stuff on the board connected to those pads) that it doesn't work at higher data rates either.

Offline ats3788

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:50:13 am »
Hello
I bought this board and it's quite nice you get it for US $40. The only thing whats sucks is that you can't use the Camera and the LCD at the same time. But be honest what is a couple of Dollars for a Geek like us. 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf