Author Topic: ESP8266-XX - buy vs build  (Read 1767 times)

Offline eclipse_realTopic starter

ESP8266-XX - buy vs build
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:49 pm »
I was looking at all the ESP models and it seems there is nothing that really suits my requirement.

I think the ESP-05 would be great, since it allows an external antenna, and pin headers, however, most of those only ship with 512K of flash. I was hoping to get a bit more... 4MB would be perfect. Considering my code is 650k, and I want to be able to do OTA updates, I'm stuck.

The 12E has 4MB but doesn't have the smc external antenna mount or pin headers. I can get them with nodemcu's but still don't have the antenna and now the price just went up for the cp2102 built in...

So the question is - what's the best thing to do here?

I asked a few suppliers on ALIbaba if they can do the ESP-05 with 4MB and am waiting to see what happens.

But should I just try to dig up the schematics and then get a custom PCBA done for this so that I can get the 05 with a 4MB chip

- or am I missing something blatantly obvious here.

Again the requirement is->
ESP8266 with:
-4MB flash
-smc external antenna mount
-pin headers

Thanks...

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
Re: ESP8266-XX - buy vs build
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:30:46 pm »
I don't believe you can program an ESP-05, due to lack of pins. Buy your ESP-05, and a module you can program, like ESP-01. Replace the ESP-01 memory module with the 4MB part, program it with something that includes OTA updating, then transplant your programmed 4MB memory to the ESP-05. Now you have an ESP-05 with 4MB memory which can be updated OTA :) Just be sure that any programs you upload to it include the OTA update function.

Ed

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:06 am »
I'd suggest the ESP-07S, which will have your memory and antenna connector. Any ESP-07 breakout board should work, or you can roll your own.

http://wiki.ai-thinker.com/_media/esp8266/docs/aithinker_esp_07s_datasheet_en.pdf

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:22 am »
ESP07 doesnt have pin headers.
ESP201 would work but all I see are 4mbit versions.

I'm sure you can find something on ali, its just a question of if its worth the price and if size is a problem or not:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-WAVGAT-D1-mini-Pro-16M-bytes-external-antenna-connector-ESP8266-WIFI/32803100718.html

If ESP05 is great, then get that and transplant your own flash with hot air as suggested by Doktor.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:27 am »
I know that, I said that. But if you can't have it all off the shelf, the pin-header requirement is the easiest one to solve yourself. Soldering the module to an adapter is way easier than transplanting memory chips.

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:38 am »
I know that, I said that. But if you can't have it all off the shelf, the pin-header requirement is the easiest one to solve yourself. Soldering the module to an adapter is way easier than transplanting memory chips.

You serious? It's a little chip with generous lead spacing.
And where does the adapter come from?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:05 am »

You serious? It's a little chip with generous lead spacing.
And where does the adapter come from?
Not nearly as generous as the 2mm pitch pads of the module. And off the shelf breakouts are available and cheap: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-For-ESP8266-WiFi-Module-Breakout-Board-Adapter-Plate-for-ESP-07-ESP-12-ESP-08/32771538892.html

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
The Wroom modules from Espressif itself don't work for you? They now have the ones with external antenna connector. Flash itself AFAIR is still limited to 2MiB

The following users thanked this post: eclipse_real

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »
OK - thanks a lot guys, I couldn't find the wroom module with the external antenna, but I did find this wemos d1 mini pro. Seems the basic ESP sets didn't have exactly what I needed but going outside to these other brands / models solved it.

It has 16MB and the smc for mounting an external antenna.
It also has the pin headers I needed and can be powered by the 5V pin or USB.

Price is pretty good too. I just grabbed one from ebay now for testing, but in quantity on Alibaba they seem to be decent.

A link to their WIKI...
https://wiki.wemos.cc/products:d1:d1_mini_pro
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:40:52 pm by eclipse_real »

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:22:07 pm »

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 06:01:41 pm »
-> ESP-WROOM-02U  this does not have an external antenna mount.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf