Author Topic: fpga programing board  (Read 3101 times)

Offline navidrctTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
fpga programing board
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:06 am »
HI
I want start with fpga programing.and first i want build programer for it
any suggestion for building cheap programer for spartan 6?

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
Re: fpga programing board
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:21:29 am »
The cheapest is probably a parallel cable 3, but you need a PC with a real parallel port. For like 15 $ you get a cheap china clone on ebay... is there any reason why you want to build the programmer ? A USB programmer needs a Cypress USB chip and a CPLD....
There are also boards FPGA+Programmer all in one...

Offline navidrctTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:43:14 am »
The cheapest is probably a parallel cable 3, but you need a PC with a real parallel port. For like 15 $ you get a cheap china clone on ebay... is there any reason why you want to build the programmer ? A USB programmer needs a Cypress USB chip and a CPLD....
There are also boards FPGA+Programmer all in one...
i don't have PC
can i use USB to serial to build fpga programer?

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:39 am »
FPGAs are programmed in several ways. For development purposes mostly JTAG is used. Some USB-to Serial ics have some extra pins that with the right software can be used to talk to JATG. FT245 is one of those chips and used to talk to Altera and Lattice FPGAs. Another programming methods  exists like synchronous serial... I'd recommend you read this app note:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:13:16 am »
HI
I want start with fpga programing.and first i want build programer for it
any suggestion for building cheap programer for spartan 6?

If you want to program FPGAs, you probably don't want to build your own programmer, and probably don't want to build the board it is on.

Your best option is almost certainly to buy a small board containing an FPGA, since that will already have programming and debugging features built in and be connected to a suitable development toolchain.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline that_guy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:01 pm »
Well, the cheapest way would be to use any 3.3V microcontroller dev board that you probably already own and bit-bang the spartan's slave-serial programming mode. You'd have to write the code though and your time may not be cheap.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:15:51 pm »
Buy a programmer clone. It's the best option not because of the program capability, but for debug reasons as well. You will be able to use ChipScope or debug embedded softcore processor using break points.

The other option is to buy a proper development kit.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »
The best and probably cheapest option for you would be to pick your FPGA vendor and get a cheap programmer from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/altera-Mini-Usb-Blaster-Cable-For-CPLD-FPGA-NIOS-JTAG-Altera-Programmer-new-/161597061343?hash=item259fef78df
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xilinx-Platform-USB-Download-Cable-Jtag-Programmer-for-FPGA-CPLD-C-Mod-XC2C64A-/151748009964?hash=item2354e2dfec

These (atleast the xilinx one, I have no experience with Altera) can be used with the original IDE.

i don't have PC
To the best of my knowledge there are no FPGA tools for Macs, tablets or other similar toys.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:42 pm »
i don't have PC

then how are you going to develop the FPGA code ? You need a computer for that. And it needs to run Windows or a version of Linux in order to get the devtools loaded...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf