Author Topic: FTDI FT232RL  (Read 2393 times)

Offline paki22gTopic starter

FTDI FT232RL
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:31 pm »
Hi guys,
I need help, i must copy ftdi ft232rl chip and make clone one. I think the EEPROM inside of ft232rl chip is not programmable. But I ask you can I clone that soft and serial number inside? I need two ftdi ft232rl with the same serial

Thanks in advance

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDI FT232RL
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:05 am »
Well, yes it is programmable. You need the FT_PROG utility from FTDI (downloadable on their web site). Just read the config from the first and program the second with the same config.

The following users thanked this post: paki22g

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:04:01 am »
I've already tried with FT_Prog. Modify the software part but the serial number does not change. I need to copy the chip to be completely the same.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:09:13 am »
You can change it here. (attachment)
You can also tell the OS to ignore it.

The following users thanked this post: paki22g

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:47:13 am »
I tried this but always keep the chip ID unchanged. it is in the last two hex lines when I read from FT_prog.

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »
See here. It sounds like the ID is used for the FTDI drivers, so if you change the ID the drivers won't work without modification.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:39 pm »
Must say your query is not quite clear. You talk about the serial number, then the chip ID...

As we stated, both the serial number and the PID/VID can be freely programmed. (Changing the PID/VID will require that you also modify the drivers, the .inf file on Windows, but let's assume you got that covered since you want to "copy" what's inside another chip.)

The "chip ID" is another beast entirely. See: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/SoftwareExamples/FTDIChip-ID.htm

As you can see, this is read-only and can't be reprogrammed. Makes sense since it's basically usable as a safety feature.

I may be paranoid but it may look like you're trying to clone some kind of licensing USB dongle, which is probably not very legal. *cough*

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
I have two china clone interface for my car. They are using the FTDI chip inside. The hardware are the same but one interface working with software and the other not. I think the problem is that chip ID. I'm sorry if my try is not legal. *cough* :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf