Author Topic: engineering ethics (it was [SOLVED] funny CC)  (Read 35813 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: engineering ethics (it was [SOLVED] funny CC)
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2015, 09:40:00 am »
Short circuiting expressions is part of the language

Pretty False in Avionics :D

C89 << MISRA C/2004 << "SafeC" (our standard)

"SafeC" (MISRA C/2004 + DO178A + MIL-STD) bans

• break
  • continue
  • short circuit
  • multiple returns
  • passing pointers by reference
  • goto (if you really need you have to open a "unsafe code" section and manually justify them)
  • arithmetic with pointers (you are forced to use "array")
  • casting (you have to use "unchecked converters", explicitly defined in "unsafe code" sections)
  • etc etc …

You can consider "Avionics/SafeC" as "another" language  :o :o :o :o

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:21 am »
Model-Based Engineering with AADL (and HOOD)

someone directly or indirectly experienced with such a things?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2015, 09:51:41 am »
I have downloaded and installed the Windows version of "Stood" (trial, features limited but "good usable" if you want to learn)
it seems to be written in Prolog  :o :o :o

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:13 am »
I'm out of date with modern C++ but wow, WTF. That should have been shot at birth but I have a horrible feeling that the next C++ standard will add features  :palm:
Almost certainly, the C++ committee never saw a feature they didn't like.

My major problem with the langue is that everyone knows a DIFFERENT subset of it, makes building a team to work on a C++ project awful hard.

It also encourages language lawyer cleverness which is never a good thing, while I like an expressive language as much as the next guy, one should always remember that someone else will sooner or later end up doing the maintenance programming, and they may well know a different subset.

Regards, Dan.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:48 am »
I haven't understood if we are allowed to use "restrict" (C99 feature)  :-//

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2015, 11:19:28 am »

My major problem with the langue is that everyone knows a DIFFERENT subset of it, makes building a team to work on a C++ project awful hard.

It also encourages language lawyer cleverness which is never a good thing, while I like an expressive language as much as the next guy, one should always remember that someone else will sooner or later end up doing the maintenance programming, and they may well know a different subset.
Agreed, large c++ projects essentially end up write only and it often becomes almost impossible to "get up to speed" with the codebase for newcommers.

With templates you need to know the precise static type of everything in the program to know what code will be even generated which could be several templates deep - it's like all the abominations you could do with the pre-processor and them some. At least you can dump C code after cpp has run and see what you are getting.

With virtual functions you then need to know the exact dynamic type of everything to know what code could be executed - in fact for projects of only moderate complexity anything other than running the code in the debugger will probably fail. OK, that is true of all OO languages to some degree but C++ seems worse than most.

I'm generally "off" C++ these days - I think that the complexity of the language is now too great.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:10 am »

Agreed, large c++ projects essentially end up write only and it often becomes almost impossible to "get up to speed" with the codebase for newcommers.

With templates you need to know the precise static type of everything in the program to know what code will be even generated which could be several templates deep - it's like all the abominations you could do with the pre-processor and them some. At least you can dump C code after cpp has run and see what you are getting.

With virtual functions you then need to know the exact dynamic type of everything to know what code could be executed - in fact for projects of only moderate complexity anything other than running the code in the debugger will probably fail. OK, that is true of all OO languages to some degree but C++ seems worse than most.

I'm generally "off" C++ these days - I think that the complexity of the language is now too great.

A really good example of that is WebKit
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2015, 12:19:14 pm »
I haven't understood if we are allowed to use "restrict" (C99 feature)  :-//
I doubt it, restrict makes a promise to the compiler about pointer aliasing which your verification tools may not be able to check, it would worry me in SIL4 code.
Also, does that prehistoric C compiler you guys are using even support C99?

Regards, Dan.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2015, 12:33:23 pm »
Also, does that prehistoric C compiler you guys are using even support C99?

what I have on hand now (C89): no
Next Step, Green Hills C (=C99): yes

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:31 pm »
your verification tools may not be able to check

the current version of QaC (source code validator) is C89 and does not understand "restrict" because it's C99 feature :palm: :palm: :palm:
I hope (but I do not know if) they will buy the new version of QaC (=$$$, a lot of bucks)
otherwise we will have to downgrade C99 to C89  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »
Code: [Select]
while(n-- > 0) *t1++ = *t2++;

a lot of bans here

n--: banned if used with a compare
n--: banned if inside while ()
*t1: banned
t1++=: banned
*t2: banned
t2++: banned
while without a block: banned, it must always have "{' … "}"

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2015, 02:54:50 pm »

Agreed, except that it is trivial to run the code in the debugger for Smalltalk[1] and Java, and you do get the expected results.

As far as I'm concerned, if C++ is the answer, then the question needs to be re-evaluated.

C is going that way too - some people want it to be a semi-portable assembler close to the bare metal, some want it to be for large mutating portable applications. Either would be possible and good, but it is impossible to shoehorn C into being both (C++ doubly so).

[1] when L. Peter Deutsch introduced the first JIT (Smalltalk ~1986), he observed that it is legitimate to cheat like hell under the hood, so long as you can't tell the cheating is occurring.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »
:palm: It's not "weird" or anything, it's called knowing the language.

Look up the Verilog sign-extension (and truncation) rules. They're weird. Yes, I know the language.  And that Verilog is supposed to be "C-like" is scary.

Short-circuit evaluation of || and && are literally one of the first things any C programmer should know - it's covered in section 1.5.4 of K&R. If someone can't figure out something as simple as this, I don't want to know what else they'll screw up...

Here's the thing, though. If you are working on a design with an FPGA and a micro, you have to be very careful about your coding, because it's too easy to mix things up! I spent too long trying to figure out why this bit of C didn't work as expected:

if (foo /= bar) {
    ... this
} else {
    ... that
}

It compiled without warning or error, of course. 

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:52 pm »
and a bit of confusion about "const" and "restrict"  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2015, 08:59:32 pm »
not so clear that there is the need to demystify the restrict keyword  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2015, 09:08:24 pm »
Look up the Verilog sign-extension (and truncation) rules. They're weird. Yes, I know the language.  And that Verilog is supposed to be "C-like" is scary.
This is why I like VHDL for hardware designs, I am way too comfortable in C for a language as superficially C like as  Verilog to NOT trip me up on a regular basis.

Also, when writing Verilog I find myself falling into a software rather then a hardware mindset more often then not, telling the thing what to do, rather then what to be, and that results in horrific code in a HDL.

besides, with 20 minute place and route times, I find the strong typing and range checks to be a net time saver even if it involves rather too much typing.

Regards, Dan.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2015, 01:48:04 am »
So the conforming version would be something like:
while (n > 0) {
   n -= 1;
   t1[n] = t2[n];
}
I guess that isn't too awful.  I think I can even see how it would make static analysis easier (esp assuming t1 and t2 are sized), and probably produces very similar code (Hmm.  Not so much, on AVR.  Neither one seems to produce the code I'd like to see.)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2015, 04:31:26 am »
So the conforming version would be something like:
while (n > 0) {
   n -= 1;
   t1[n] = t2[n];
}
I guess that isn't too awful.  I think I can even see how it would make static analysis easier (esp assuming t1 and t2 are sized), and probably produces very similar code (Hmm.  Not so much, on AVR.  Neither one seems to produce the code I'd like to see.)
Those two pieces of code are not equivalent.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2015, 04:59:07 am »
   n -= 1;
I'm surprised that's not banned also  ::)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2015, 05:16:01 am »
   n -= 1;
Why? That's a construct they helps reduce stupid typos, which is the theme of a lot of the MISRA restrictions.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 07:08:32 am »
Those two pieces of code are not equivalent.
True.  And a good point.  If I do better, by ADDING source code, the binary for the compliant version shrinks, and becomes identical to the non-compliant version (for AVR.)  (neat trick!)
void memcpy1(char *t1, char *t2, int n)
{
  while (n-- > 0) *t1++ = *t2++;
}

void memcpy2(char t1[], char t2[], int n)
{
  int i = 0;
  while (n > 0) {
    t1[i] = t2[i];
    n -= 1;
    i += 1;
  }
}

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
  • char t1: banned, you have to use "uint8_t" (motivation I got: "because char can mean 16bit"  :wtf:  )
  • int n: banned, uint32_t

signed $SIZE ----> sint$SIZE_t
unsigned $SIZE ---> uint$SIZE_t

$SIZE={8, 16, 32, 64}

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2015, 11:12:02 am »
   n -= 1;

indeed banned  :D

in level A/B

• i++: banned
  • i--: banned
  • ++i: banned
  • --i: banned
  • i+=const: banned
  • i-=const: banned
  • i/=const: super banned (threat to be fired  :-DD )
  • i*=const: banned
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:58:34 am by legacy »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2015, 11:13:19 am »
AVR

they use "PowerPC", like PPC440, PPC460
we should also compare with MIPS32 (not used in avionics)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2015, 11:48:35 am »
  • char t1: banned, you have to use "uint8_t" (motivation I got: "because char can mean 16bit"  :wtf:  )

That's true, the type char is the minimum size for a character on a specific platform, so it could be different than 8bit, also char could be signed or not depending on the compiler!

See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2098149/what-platforms-have-something-other-than-8-bit-char
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf