Author Topic: Generating security metal detector sounds - how?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline igendelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
Generating security metal detector sounds - how?
« on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:24 am »
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing the electronics for a toy of sorts, and the client suddenly decides he wants it to also make the familiar scanning sounds of metal detectors, like the audio in this:

That video has two kinds of sound, 0:00-0:08 and 0:09-0:18. Either would be fine, and it's not supposed to respond to actual metal or any other input. The catch is that I need to produce the sound using an 8-bit MCU and a piezo element (or a very small speaker), because I already have those in the system and there's very little room for other components.

Looking at the waveforms with non-expert eye, it seems there's a lot of amplitude changes:

Short, rapidly-decaying clicks with variable distances

Some kind of high-pitched slide-whistle AM signal?

So, how can I go about generating these or similar sounds? Can it be done with the aid of a reasonably small analog circuit of some kind? All the metal-detector-related circuits I could find on Google are for actually detecting metal, not for sound...

Thanks!
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline igendelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
Re: Generating security metal detector sounds - how?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
For future generations reading this...
I discovered that outputting a square wave to a speaker, from say 1KHz to 8KHz and back, in 100Hz steps, ~4ms for each frequency, gives a nice "sliding" sound effect similar to that of the metal detector. Still requires work but it's a start  :)
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf