Author Topic: GSM3 modules and possible phasing out of GSM2 services  (Read 1849 times)

Offline IconicPCBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
GSM3 modules and possible phasing out of GSM2 services
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:00:14 am »
What is the current state of play of available GSM3 modules?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: GSM3 modules and possible phasing out of GSM2 services
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
Are you referring to 3G?
If so, widely available, most can fall back to 2G if allowed.

What is interesting, some of the new CAT1 / CAT 0 / CAT M modules (LTE / 4G) fall back to 2G and completely bypass 3G.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:01 pm »
standalone 3G modems and chipsets widely available.
'Shields' a bit less so, but they're coming online more and more.
(sellers trying to unload 2G stock while they can?)

Sadly, 3G is typically 80% or higher priced than equivalent 2G product.
(Qualcomm licensing and catching the early market rush?)

In another couple of years 4G shields will start appearing, and should be slightly cheaper than the same 3G item. (no single licence source)

I have a SIM532x shield (w/o GPS) in development right now - at a decent price for my own projects.
It should be available within about 3-4 weeks.

ADDED: Warning!  Quad or penta band modems usually only operate on 2/3 bands in each region, and the band/modulation schemes mean that you *must* be careful of the part number variant you select for each country and individual carrier.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:56:18 pm by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
The 2G network will soon become redundant down here with Telstra pulling the pin later this year in December with other carriers following suit in or around April 2017, the 3G and 4G networks will be retained.

We have received notification that some of our systems which are currently running 2G GSM and GPRS communications modules will require a replacement before the shutdown, fortunately these new modules are to be provided free of charge from the device manufacturers but we still have to run around to various sites and install them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:27:30 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:03:19 pm »
In the UK there is speculation that the 3G network could be phased out long before 2G. I'd guess the Telcos are under a lot of  pressure from the authorities to keep 2G going for some while given the considerable amount of 2G M2M infrastructure in place, including 'smart' meters which I believe are currently being rolled out with GPRS modems. I expect the cost of upgrading everything to 3G modems would be horrendous especially having to replacing all the equipment which isn't upgradable.

The cost of re-certifying equipment to use new 3G modules could be considerable and difficult to justify if 3G might only have a few more years to live - it would be interesting to know what guarantees have been provided by Telstra and the US operators as to how long they will retain the 3G network in parallel with 4G. And what if they decide to kill it anyway in two or three years time as they come under increasing pressure to expand their 4G capacity?

Dismantling 3G to allow 4G services to make use of the scarce and expensive spectrum makes some sense as 4G provides the same/better data service but perhaps with higher prices for a while. It would no doubt piss off a number of 3G phone owners but many will have upgraded by the time 3G disappears and it would allow the Telcos to make more money from forced upgrades.

Its surprising that there doesn't see to be much if any guidance on this issue from the likes of OFCOM given the potential economic impacts - but I haven't looked very hard.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:44:00 pm »
For Norway with their high mountains it's definitive, 3G shuts down 2020 and 2G 2025 says Telenor, the worst mobile company on the planet.

Offline IconicPCBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:24 am »
SL4P three weeks is not a bad time frame.

Will Your offering  handle the usual AT command set?
Where are You located?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 11:47:42 am »
Adafruit and probably Sparkfun do 3G shields don't they?  Have you looked at their offerings?

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:05:38 pm »
SL4P three weeks is not a bad time frame.

Will Your offering  handle the usual AT command set?
Where are You located?
I'm in Melbourne AU.
Yes, they are standard SIMCOM 532x chipsets. (Telit clones) with full AT, VOICE, SMS and GPRS support.
The other 3G shields mentioned, seem to be about 75% higher priced than I'm aiming for here landed in AU.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf