Author Topic: Has anyone worked with the FTDI FT260 yet?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline awwendeTopic starter

• Contributor
Has anyone worked with the FTDI FT260 yet?
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT260.html

It's a reasonably new product from FTDI, so there isn't a ton of resources about it yet. It's an HID class USB to UART/I2C Master. I'm trying to configure the GPIO pins on my Win 10 machine using FT_Prog, but when I scan, it doesn't come up with anything. My computer did recognize the device and install a driver for "FT260" so I know my USB communication is working. Has anyone worked with this chip yet and run into similar issues?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Has anyone worked with the FTDI FT260 yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:59 am »

The App Note has a lot of information but one thing I didn't see was hitting it with FT_PROG.  Maybe I missed it.

There are some Linux examples in the AN.  FTDI also provides a library and example code for Microsoft Visual Studio.  I imagine the Express version will work.  Have you tried this yet?

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:31 am »
Do you have an external eeprom or are you trying to use eFuse?  If eFuse, it looks like you need to supply 3.8V to the FSOURCE pin.  The datasheet also mentions a programming module UMFTPD3A, not sure if that would be required as well.

Offline awwendeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:06 am »

The App Note has a lot of information but one thing I didn't see was hitting it with FT_PROG.  Maybe I missed it.

There are some Linux examples in the AN.  FTDI also provides a library and example code for Microsoft Visual Studio.  I imagine the Express version will work.  Have you tried this yet?

I don't recall seeing FT_Prog in the App notes, but I is mentioned a few times in the data sheet. What do you mean by express version?

Do you have an external eeprom or are you trying to use eFuse?  If eFuse, it looks like you need to supply 3.8V to the FSOURCE pin.  The datasheet also mentions a programming module UMFTPD3A, not sure if that would be required as well.

I'm trying to use eFuse. I didn't break out fsource, but I was able to solder on wirewrap wire to the pin, however when the 3.8V is applied, windows was having a hard time recognizing it. I tried a google search for the UMFTPD3A, but it didn't turn up with anything.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »

I don't recall seeing FT_Prog in the App notes, but I is mentioned a few times in the data sheet. What do you mean by express version?

Microsoft Visual Studio is a pricey product but it is also available as an Express version for free.  There is now a "Community" version that I just added to my Surface Book last night.  I haven't played with it but it looks like the same old Visual Studio.

The current incantation supports Visual C#, Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual F# (no, I don't know what that's about!), JavaScript (but not Java), Python (in a very limited way) and a couple of other things.

Another cool feature is the Makefile project.  This allows use of the Visual Studio IDE to create programs that use ANY toolchain because it simply invokes Make to build the target.

For your query, I looked at FTDI and stumbled across the library and noticed that it was based on Visual Studio which gives it a head start in connecting the gadget to Windows.  But, as the FT260 shows up as a HID, there are a lot of ways to use it.

Not on point at all, I used a HID device, Visual C++ and the Microsoft SDK to add real controls to Microsoft Flight Simulator.  This is nothing special and it's done all the time but it was a cool application of the tools.

Offline fredericaltorres

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:28:05 pm »
I made Nusbio.net which a is 8 gpio/spi/ic2 device based on the FTDI FT231X.
I am planning to study the FT260 to be used from the C#, VB.NET, Powershell languages, as I could use the chip for my v2 version of my device Nusbio.

I just bought the evaluation board UMFT260EV1A.  I know that FTDI supply example for C++ and Visual Studio.
I am planning to write the C# wrapper.

Contact me if you want to know more. www.MadeInTheUSB.net.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf