Author Topic: Help in Copying a set of EPROM (27C256) and Programable Memory 9306  (Read 21643 times)

Offline zoltmTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi,

I am in the process of repairing a pair of Digital Active Speaker, the firmware on the left speaker is running fine. The firmware on the right speaker seems to be some what corrupted. The firmware is based on a set of 27c256 and a piece of NMC9306. Before trying to take the working chips from the left speaker and risk placing it on the right speaker. I would like to make a copy of both chips.

I would like to know if there is any kind soul here would have access to equipment for such copying purpose. If you know of any commercial outfit that would charge a norminal fee for such services, I would love the reference too or pass over on contacts.

Thanks.

zoltm.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Help in Copying a set of EPROM (27C256) and Programable Memory 9306
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
Would help if you indicated where in the world you are..........

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »
Eprom programmers can be bought cheap on Ebay...
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:13 am »
Eprom programmers can be bought cheap on Ebay...

Device for the programing of the 27C256 is quite accessible. However, I am not sure about the device on the programing of the 9306N chips, if possible, can you point me to a specific ebay link (may be on PM), that would do programing of both chips?

Thanks for your comments.  ;)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:16:26 am »
Good news is - it's a straightforward serial device with NO security. Most Universal programmers
have serial memory drivers, again they can be quite cheap on ebay. Check their supported parts list
Here's another idea -
IF you intend to do more in electronics in the future, and have / want to learn basic programming skills -
Buy a PC controlled IO card, say 48 pins, buy a couple ZIFF sockets, ~28pin at 0.6" and 0.3" wide,
and write your own "driver" for whatever chip you come across. Many of these PC IO boards even
have software. It really isn't hard to write a driver, all the timing info is with the chip specs.
I've done this as a project for students in the old days and was very popular.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »
Yes, that should work.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »
Would this be one of those programmer that would allow me to copy the 27C256 and 93c06 chips?
If you check through their "supported device list" you will NOT find an exact match for NMC93C06. The closest is
NMC93CS06, which has 2 extra active pins, write protect etc You will need to STUDY the spec sheets !!!!
Check other programmers and find an EXACT match, unless you are prepared to waste time trying to patch !!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »
I manage to find the supplier of this. I was provide with the following links for device list,

http://www.autoelectric.cn/minipro/MiniProSupportList.txt

I saw couple of references to NMC93C06. Mine is like an small 8 pin IC, is that DIP packaging.

Here is the manual (in Chinese) http://down.autoelectric.cn:8087/minipro/MiniProHelp.rar

Here is the latest software, http://down.autoelectric.cn:8087/minipro/minipro_setup.rar

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:33:16 pm »
Yes is the DIP version, but the pinouts are the same for the SMD, just need an adapter.
IMO, I don't like the look of that device, there are MUCH better programmers out there with BETTER
support ... in english. Mate, you're going to need to do some homework (searching), don't just
grab the first thing you find. Make sure you have an exact match for the parts you need !!

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
These are the chips that I am talking about.

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
    • Lynx-India - Visit Us For Not So Boring Electronic Instruments
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:49:36 pm »
Hi,

I am in the process of repairing a pair of Digital Active Speaker, the firmware on the left speaker is running fine. The firmware on the right speaker seems to be some what corrupted. The firmware is based on a set of 27c256 and a piece of NMC9306. Before trying to take the working chips from the left speaker and risk placing it on the right speaker. I would like to make a copy of both chips.

I would like to know if there is any kind soul here would have access to equipment for such copying purpose. If you know of any commercial outfit that would charge a norminal fee for such services, I would love the reference too or pass over on contacts.

Thanks.

zoltm.

Sir ,
    I am thier Indian distributor .Its a Great Programmer  .You Can Get all The Details You Like Other then the Chinglish They Have on Thier Website From Me .Would Be Happy to Share and help you if you need help .For the 8 Pin EPROMS Hard To Beat The Sofitech  .
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]
My Electronics Blog - > www.lynxchandigarh.com

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:52 pm »
Thx Amabir,

It would be so cool if you can offer some assistance. What I want to do now is to do an EXACT copy of the two chips I have shown. Can you confirm that I can indeed use that TL886 programmer and the software for the purpose. I saw that there is a lot of option in the software, I probably need to contact you for what to click and what not to click when I get in front of the thing and be ready for pressing the button.

Thx.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:21 pm »
Most likely the only corrupted software is in the EEprom, as if it was in the eprom it would not boot at all.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:37 am »
Good news is - it's a straightforward serial device with NO security. Most Universal programmers
have serial memory drivers, again they can be quite cheap on ebay. Check their supported parts list
Here's another idea -
IF you intend to do more in electronics in the future, and have / want to learn basic programming skills -
Buy a PC controlled IO card, say 48 pins, buy a couple ZIFF sockets, ~28pin at 0.6" and 0.3" wide,
and write your own "driver" for whatever chip you come across. Many of these PC IO boards even
have software. It really isn't hard to write a driver, all the timing info is with the chip specs.
I've done this as a project for students in the old days and was very popular.
A 3.3V/5V parallel port also works, with the right software you can read/write anything that uses serial I/O of the right voltage over a few pins.

Interesting that they decided to socket a serial EEPROM. Perhaps they anticipated it needing replacing due to the limited write cycles?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »
more likly it was socketed so they could install the chip post board assembly that way they dont need any in circuit programmer, a bit of test gear i am working on did the same,

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:22:57 pm »
Most likely the only corrupted software is in the EEprom, as if it was in the eprom it would not boot at all.

Sean,

Please enlighten me, as I understand the stuff inside an EPROM (the 27c256) should be realtively inert and there is very little chances for the info store in it being corrupted.

However, the stuff being stored in the 9306N has a higher chance for being corrupted? Is that what you mean by the statement above?

Thanks. zoltm.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 03:44:24 pm »
The eprom would have been programmed once, and verified as well, so it would be pretty much good to go data storage wise for around 100 years, unless you put it inside a Xray scanner for a few weeks with the power on. The EEPROM however would be getting data written to it and there is a strong possibility of a write being interrupted by power loss.

I used equipment with 40 year old eproms, and these never failed, even though they had been exposed to multiple thermal cycles and radiation. EEPROMS however you take pot luck, failure is guaranteed at some point if you are reading or writing to them.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:04 am »
To be a good citizen, I am reporting back my progress on this exercise, upon the collective intelligence I obtained here.

1. I invest less than US$50 on the Minipro TL866 Universal Programmer.
2. I managed to read the working eprom 27c256 from the working speaker and burn another one to regain access to the right speaker.
3. The TL866 is quite solidly build. The associated software is quite regularly updated. The box shipped with 4.9x, when I have it, 5.5 is released and it's an easy upgrade.
4. I have chosen a bundle kit that comes with other jig for the support of other IC form factor.

In short, I would considered this a successful exercise. Here is to share some pics for your appreciation on the quality of the programmer.

Hope this would help someone, sometime.

Thanks.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:29 am »
Looks like they've rubbed out the MCU's part number but there aren't many that are QFP80 and have what looks like integrated USB... I'm going to take a guess and say that, judging by its use and layout, it's an AT89C5132.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
Looks like they've rubbed out the MCU's part number but there aren't many that are QFP80 and have what looks like integrated USB... I'm going to take a guess and say that, judging by its use and layout, it's an AT89C5132.

Well Buddy ,
    It Has 7000 ODD Device support and Hard to Beat Its Price ,In India i Sell it Like Peanuts everyday .

PS :  i did Not Sell Him This though lol
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
So how much do you sell it for? Just asking as if i buy one from India at least there is a chance the plug will fit in the wall first try.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »
Sir ,
     In India We Sell This for Rs :5053/- + Tax 12.5% + Shipping .Warranty is 1 Year " Counter Replacement " .Website is www.lynx-india.com .

PS :  Its USB Hence No Plugging to The Wall  ;D
Regards

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »
Mmmmmm around 800ZAR.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf