Author Topic: Help with getting started on Lattice Brevia XP2 FPGA  (Read 13698 times)

Offline RickCHodginTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Help with getting started on Lattice Brevia XP2 FPGA
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 09:54:33 pm »
Let me ask another question.

I've seen something today called a Dragon Board (http://www.knjn.com/ShopBoards_PCI.html) which uses an FPGA attached to a PCI bus, and another model which connects to a PCI-Express bus.  I am wondering if it would be possible to create a board like that which responds to address and data on the PCI bus to receive commands, and then simply respond to those to carry out functions?  It would also be able to read data and allow it to be queried by software running on a standard PC.

The PCI bus runs at 33 MHz, PCI-X at 133 MHz or faster.  Would my Lattice FPGA run decently at that speed?  It has a 400 MHz max clock (that I've been able to try out on the Diamond software thus far).  If I could get an interface card which plugged into a PCI bus slot, and communicate there it would greatly simplify what I'm trying to do by having a piece of hardware I could send commands to, write memory ranges to, handling specialized operations which then translate into data reads/writes for my software.

It would seem to greatly simplify a great many things in communication between a host computer and custom hardware.

If not, I also have an Altera Cyclone V dev board with a 160-pin breakout daughter-board which could be used to communicate with the PCI or PCI-E bus.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:46:08 am by RickCHodgin »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 12:51:17 pm »
In Lattice word the board to play with for pciexp  is this one

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lattice/LFE5UM5G-45F-VERSAPROMO/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMurtJ7VwBTl0T0d2L4lJyrxBmx7pcOirvJOI7ilfBIH3g%3d%3d

Thank you!  Exactly what I'm looking for.

- Rick C. Hodgin

UPDATE:  Ordered.  Thank you again.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:36:35 pm by RickCHodgin »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 06:56:33 pm »
Take special attention to the SERDES Test SMA Connectors, those will bring you to very big data transfers

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 12:43:24 am »
It arrived today.  I won't be able to begin coding for it until Saturday.

Do you have any examples of code which allow me to send / receive data to / from the card?  I presume I would code the FPGA to monitor data addresses and mirror those writes to on-board DDR3, and reads from on-board DDR3.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:19:42 am »
Read the docs,  several samples are available, and also pc host software.

This board need a lot of time and effort, But is well documented and  a lot of samples is available, go step by step

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:02 am »
Read the docs,  several samples are available, and also pc host software.

This board need a lot of time and effort, But is well documented and  a lot of samples is available, go step by step

I have been reading through them.  It's hard for me because I have dyslexia.  It makes the translation from printed text to thought very difficult.  I do better hearing and seeing example tutorials given by people.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:30 am »
In looking for video tutorials tonight, I came across this gem.  It certainly does "It's All About The Pentiums" one better.

LOLing. :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 11:55:36 am »
Without reading capability will be a tough challenge due to the complexity of this board,  Did you try to use a narrator ?

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:25 pm »
Without reading capability will be a tough challenge due to the complexity of this board,  Did you try to use a narrator?

I have used several. :-)  I also sometimes record me reading text into an app, and then play it back.  I get 10x the comprehension when I am able to hear it over reading it.

But, I'm finding several videos on ECP2, and ECP3 which show installation of the software. I think I have a handle on where to start.

Does the software come with PC source code for the scatter/gather app?  And other apps?  In addition to the Verilog / FPGA source code?

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 10:59:10 pm »
Kit content download

http://www.latticesemi.com/Products/DevelopmentBoardsAndKits/ECP55GVersaDevKit.aspx

If you wanna take full access you need to buy some extra things

Intellectual Property   Connectivity IP Suite Connectivity IP suite includes commonly used interface IP cores such as PCI Express, CPRI, JESD204B, DDR3 controller, Gigabit Ethernet MAC etc.   $995   $99   Buy Now

Lattice Diamond Design Software   Lattice Diamond Software Leading edge design software for Lattice FPGA families with an easy-to-use interface, superior design exploration, optimized design flow and more.   $895   $99   Buy Now

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 11:12:03 pm »
Kit content download

http://www.latticesemi.com/Products/DevelopmentBoardsAndKits/ECP55GVersaDevKit.aspx

If you wanna take full access you need to buy some extra things

Intellectual Property   Connectivity IP Suite Connectivity IP suite includes commonly used interface IP cores such as PCI Express, CPRI, JESD204B, DDR3 controller, Gigabit Ethernet MAC etc.   $995   $99   Buy Now

Lattice Diamond Design Software   Lattice Diamond Software Leading edge design software for Lattice FPGA families with an easy-to-use interface, superior design exploration, optimized design flow and more.   $895   $99   Buy Now

How long is the promo?  Through May 31?  UPDATE: "To help you accelerate your designs, we are extending the pricing promotion to the Connectivity IP Suite and the latest Lattice Diamond Software. Take advantage of this great offer before it expires on June 30, 2017 or while supplies last. "

The documentation stated demo licenses come with the kit, allowing for four hours of use before bricking the IP portions ... if I read it correctly.

Also, a full use Diamond software comes with the kit ... again, unless I am mistaken.  Am I mistaken [crosses fingers] ?

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:45:57 am by RickCHodgin »

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 04:29:57 am »
I thought the board (ECP5-5G) was 99 and the Diamond for that board for 1 year was 99.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:47 am »
I thought the board (ECP5-5G) was 99 and the Diamond for that board for 1 year was 99.

You may be right.  I see here where it's only a limited time offer:

"Diamond Free License - for the ECP5-5G Versa Development Kit Only

"If you currently do not have access to the award-winning Lattice Diamond design software (version 3.8 or later), Lattice would like to offer you a special 1-year license, that enables design for the ECP5UM5G-45F FPGA used on the ECP5-5G Versa Board. To request this license, please follow instructions included with your ECP5-5G Versa Development Kit. Please note that this license is valid for Diamond design software (version 3.8 or later) and can be used only with the ECP5-5G Versa Development Kit. This is a limited-time offer."

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

• Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf