Author Topic: Hitachi HMCS400 series  (Read 1936 times)

Offline CJayTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hitachi HMCS400 series
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:15:57 am »
I have a need to replace an ancient, long obsolete Hitachi microcontroller in a Uniden radio, it's one of the HMCS400 series, specifically the HD4074016 variant.

I believe these are a pretty simple EPROM based device, hold a couple of lines low in an adapter and it functions like a simple 27Cxxx EPROM for a programmer (I'd assume the algorithm would be similar to Hitachi EPROM algorithms but I'll research that more later)

The main problem I think I am likely to face would be sourcing a blank chip to program, there are lots of them listed on Ali etc. but none of the listings are very clear if they are new and blank or if they're just new and I assume the vendors will have no idea how to check anyway.

So, is anyone aware of a source of these chips that can guarantee they're new and unprogrammed? Is there a later, code and pin compatible version or an eraseable version?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Hitachi HMCS400 series
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:53:04 am »
There are almost no references to an HD4074016 I can find on the Internet, but the HD4074019. You can find some information on programming the HD4074008 starting on page 324 of this: http://en.wikichip.org/wiki/File:HMCS400_Series_Manual_(1988).pdf

I'm pretty sure you are not going to find new ICs, but Hitachi does still make 4-bit MCUs. You could try looking into whether any are pin-compatible.

Offline CJayTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:48:39 am »
My mistake, it is the HD4074008.

And there is a windowed version of the chip available but I imagine it's rare to the point of being impossible to find.

I might order a couple of plastic ones from Ali Express just to see if they're programmed.

I have a programmer that lists the chip as supported so I can read them at least.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:50 pm »
If you can't find a simple replacement seems like a standard "todays" micro
could be quickly adapted on a adapter board to accomplish the task.

A Cypress PSOC might make sense as its pins are routable, and it has a fabric
that can be used with GUI drag and drop functions, everything from simple gates
to counters/pwm/LUTs.....

Just a thought.

Attached the "standard" GUI components you can choose from, and it
permits programming in Verilog for specialized functions.

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:26:55 pm by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf