Author Topic: HM10 Bluetooth (CC2541) put in to sleep while connected to iOS application  (Read 2480 times)

Offline tozoysaTopic starter

I'm trying to trigger an action on iOS application using HM10 Bluetooth module. And i have successfully accomplished the functionality, But now my concern is the power consumption, I have already moved to the ATTiny85 controller chip and it wakesup using hardware interrupt. So ATTiny85 along consumes 0.2µA in sleep mode(Which is the 99% of time).

My question is how i put HM10 module in to sleep mode while its connected to my iOS application?

This whole module supposed to drive by using coin cell battery.

Any helpful tips are welcome..

Thanks in advance!

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
It doesn't have a true low power mode ... at best it can go down to 150 or so uA, which isn't coin cell friendly.

You could power gate it with an external FET ... or switch to a nRF51822 based module so you aren't stuck with the choice of someone else's lackluster firmware or buying IAR for a couple thousand.

Offline tozoysaTopic starter

@Marco, Appreciate your input.

Do you think i can achieve better result with external MOSFET and CC2541? What do you recommend between CC2541/CC2540 and nRF51822?

Regards,
Prasad.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
I have no experience with either, so I'm not going to recommend anything.

The MOSFET would cut the current to next to nothing, but it would need to completely restart when you turned the power back on ... don't know how long that takes or whether it would be a problem for you. Here is an example from TI for one of their other CC2xxx wireless chips which uses power gating. Dunno why they used that fancy switch to do the gating, probably because they don't make discrete MOSFETs :) (You should probably use a P-MOSFET by the way, don't think it would be a good idea to not give the HM10 a low inductance ground connection.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf