Author Topic: How do you sequence power rails?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
How do you sequence power rails?
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
This is about the AT91SAM9260 project I am designing. For the sake of simplicity I am using 4 power rails for the chip:
* VDDBU: 1.8V backup voltage, sourced from an LP2985-1.8 LDO from the backup battery.
* VDDCORE: 1.8V rail for core voltage and PLL (VDDCORE and VDDPLL on the chip,) sourced from a LM3671-1.8 switch mode regulator.
* VDDIO: 3.3V rail for digital I/O and memory (VDDIO[01M] on the chip,) sourced from an LM3671-3.3 switch mode regulator.
* VDDANA: 3.3V rail for analog converters, sourced from an LP2985-3.3 LDO.

In the AT91SAM9260 datasheet, there is a specific power sequencing requirement when a backup battery is used: the VDDIO must not be powered before VDDCORE rises above 1.5V, but must rise above VIH within 166us and above VOH within 518us. How do you sequence this? Can I just use the EN inputs of the regulators? Or should I use a few MOSFETs switching the power rails after the regulators have been up, using the system controller MCU for this?

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
Re: How do you sequence power rails?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
If your regulators have PG(power good) pins, you just can connect them to the EN pin of the next generator. You need to make sure the voltage levels are Ok.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 05:09:30 pm »
Usually there is a companion power supply chip from the manufacturer or a third party which is tailored to provide the right power supply sequencing. This is the easiest method.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »
For one of my projects, I used a cheap 50cent PIC as a timer to sequence a bunch of supply rails on my FPGA/DDR2/HDMI-ADC board which had to use 2 different types of cycles depending on if the unit was previously powered on and off, but, the 5v from a HDMI video source stayed on.  The manufacturer's data sheet have a bunch of 74HC logic for the HDMI chip + the Altera FPGA had a different custom chip.  I said F- it all, put in the PIC and had it not only handle the power enables for the regulators, but, the reset lines & flash boot-prom nConfig reset for the FPGA as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf