Author Topic: How good is OpenWatcom compiler?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
How good is OpenWatcom compiler?
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:40:43 am »
I was looking for a modern C compiler that targets the original i8086, for my 80C88-based retrocomputing project. Somehow I am led to Open Watcom which is actively maintained, implements at least C99, and can target the original i8086. Anyone has experience with that thing?

This compiler is intended to be used as the system compiler: it will be building the bulk of the bootloader, the bulk of a relatively modern GUI OS, and the applications running on top of it.

Target specs: 80C88 @5MHz, 640kB 1-cycle SRAM as system memory, 24kB 1-cycle dual-port SRAM for video (based on FlexCGA design,) USB OTG, Ethernet, 4 serial ports, 16GB mSATA over XT-SATA, 32kB boot EEPROM.

Offline richardman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How good is OpenWatcom compiler?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:59:58 am »
Don't know about OpenWatcom, but I relied on the original Watcom 10.0 (and maybe even 11.x?) for years. It was a competent compiler with no fuss.

Of course I have now moved on to Visual Studio and CodeBlocks/GCC....
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:46:55 pm »
Find a copy of MSC 6.  I still have one because 1) it's a good compiler that generates good code, 2) it can produce COM files that are easily shoved into EEPROM/flash, and 3) it supports the legacy 16-bit segmented architectures.  All you need is a bit of startup code and disable all libraries, then a simple tool to convert COM files to Tek, ITH or something.  (When I last used it 10? 15? not quite 20 years ago I rolled my own converter but don't think I have it still.  I'd just create a new one, trivially in python.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:50:16 pm by bson »

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 04:15:11 am »
Find a copy of MSC 6.  I still have one because 1) it's a good compiler that generates good code, 2) it can produce COM files that are easily shoved into EEPROM/flash, and 3) it supports the legacy 16-bit segmented architectures.  All you need is a bit of startup code and disable all libraries, then a simple tool to convert COM files to Tek, ITH or something.  (When I last used it 10? 15? not quite 20 years ago I rolled my own converter but don't think I have it still.  I'd just create a new one, trivially in python.)
What is MSC 6? Can it run on some kind of UNIX? (OpenWacom has a Linux port, and if I throw away the GUI the command line compiler itself can be compiled under macOS.)

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:29:29 am »
At one time around early-mid 80's the proprietary  watcom compiler held the lead in speed of compiled code, and then there was time of pretty intense competition and others caught up. It was always considered to be reliable in terms of quality of output, with respect to bugs-speed-size qualifiers.

I think Bson is referring to microsoft c.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:32:13 am »
What is MSC 6? Can it run on some kind of UNIX? (OpenWacom has a Linux port, and if I throw away the GUI the command line compiler itself can be compiled under macOS.)
Microsoft C 6.  It sucks to have to run Windows in a VM, but it's really a good compiler.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:37:03 am »
At one time around early-mid 80's the proprietary  watcom compiler held the lead in speed of compiled code, and then there was time of pretty intense competition and others caught up. It was always considered to be reliable in terms of quality of output, with respect to bugs-speed-size qualifiers.
This is good news for me, since I would be sure that my compiler is emitting good quality 8086 code.

I think Bson is referring to microsoft c.
Old Microsoft C don't really mix with 64-bit Windows... Do I have to break out that Windows 98 SE (!) virtual machine...?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf