Author Topic: How to blink led over internet control  (Read 2558 times)

Offline rkprojectTopic starter

How to blink led over internet control
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:28:26 am »
hello,
I want to learn the procedure of turning on led over internet control how does it work?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: How to blink led over internet control
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:31:29 am »
Watching - Interesting topic
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:40:20 am »
Well, there's a million and one way to do this, my suggestions are not going to be the only ones by any means. (EDIT: Looks like my prediction here was false! :P)

-- Photon Wi-Fi dev kit - I'm pretty sure the first project you do in the provided tutorial/guide is an LED-blink-over-internet thing.
-- Dave's recent Nixie tube project pulls view counts from the internet using a ESP8266 board + the Arduino environment.  Along similar lines, here's FirebaseArduino, one of the samples FirebaseNeoPixel turns on a whole pile of LEDs under control of a Firebase realtime cloud database, which can be written to by any web app or phone app.

The other question is, you're incredibly vague about "over internet control". Perhaps if you expand upon exactly what you mean by this (with examples), we could provide more tailored suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:25:04 pm by rs20 »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:00:35 am »
What you need here is something to bridge between TCP/IP and GPIO.

For the cheapest solution, you can use an ESP8266 module and program it to connect to your Wi-Fi network and perform this conversion.

Stepping up a bit, there are Linux-based solutions like modules with AR9331, MT7688 or the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

For the TCP/IP side ESP8266 may need to use a stripped down protocol and develop using microcontroller-specific tools. If you need IPv6 more work will be involved. For Linux-based solution standard Web development tools will work, and it is much easier to implement dual stack support.

For the brave ones with Ethernet cables, try STM32F107 + DP83848 + PoE

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:47 am »
Surprised nobody has mentioned MQTT - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQTT

The thing doing the blinking (e.g. the client) published message of either "1" or "0" with the topic "user_bob/kitchen/light/1/state" (or whatever you want to call it) on an MQTT broker (e.g. http://www.hivemq.com/try-out/, or a server running on a Raspberry Pi)

The end device (maybe a ESP8266 dev board) subscribes to the topic "user_bob/kitchen/light/1/state", and then sees the stream of requests for it to turn off and on.

You can then use an MQTT client on your phone to turn the LED in the kitchen off an on if you like...

Am example for an ESP8266 is here: http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8746
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:45 am »
For wireless see above.
For wired you might try out the freertos+tcpip stack and the mentioned dev board.
I would like to dig in to this one for sometime already but lack the time, however it looks promising since the painstaking integration part has already been taken care off.
In theory you just have to use and handle the standard Berkeley socket calls.

http://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/FreeRTOS_Plus_TCP/TCP-IP_FAT_Examples_ST_STM32F407.html

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:50:46 am »
Also, not mentioned so far: a plain vanilla Raspberry Pi. Or a PC with a GPIO card, even.

I mean, if all I want is an LED under internet control, I'll just write a piece of software to give the internet control of my scroll-lock LED on my keyboard.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:45:54 am »
Also, not mentioned so far: a plain vanilla Raspberry Pi. Or a PC with a GPIO card, even.

I mean, if all I want is an LED under internet control, I'll just write a piece of software to give the internet control of my scroll-lock LED on my keyboard.
This comes in the same territory as my suggestion of Raspberry Pi Zero W or MT7688 module or AR9331 module. You don't need a lot of computing power to control a PWM signal (allowing for dimming the said LED) with some protocol wrapped in HTTP over TLS 1.2 client certificate authentication (IoT security 101 here.)

Offline jaesh

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:09:48 pm »
Hi rkproject,
As you are sounding like beginner (like me), I wont user many technical terms.
Bottom line is, to control any microcontroller over internet, the easiest solution is using ESP8266 wifi module. Its a standalone microcontroller and can be used without any microcontroller but generally used with Arduino and Raspberry pi.
The working example from where I controlled Arduino pin is this LED control using Arduino internet.
Further I again learned more about ESP8266 by the resources on the same site, check their ESP8266 Projects, as they have working examples with real pictures of connection, very helpful for a beginner.
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf