Author Topic: how to get different OUTPUT voltages in ARM micro?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline behrooz2011Topic starter

how to get different OUTPUT voltages in ARM micro?
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:33:13 am »
Hey buddies,what's up?!

I'm using an ARM cortex M0 micro called FRDM-KL25Z (what a funky name! I knew that! :) ) . I'd like to run a simple motor at different speeds. How can I get different OUTPUT voltages to operate this armature ?

Do I need any extra component which generates altering DC voltages? if so what is this device called?

tnx guys

Offline behrooz2011Topic starter

Re: how to get different OUTPUT voltages in ARM micro?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
It's a small DC motor(like an Armature). It is supposed to get connected to an ARM micro-controller and automatically change its speed. Actually I'd like to know how I can get altering OUTPUT voltages in this microcontroller. Should I use any special device which generates different voltages or does the ARM micorcontroller in the question "FRDM-KL25Z " have the ability to generate different output voltage?

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:15:40 pm »
You need a DC motor driver, driven by PWM from the microcontroller.
Do not forget that KL25 is a 3.3v only microcontroller, it cannot tolerate 5v on its inputs.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:32:07 am »
1) A microcontroller does not (can not) drive a motor directly.  You need some sort of driver or controller.
2) (there are motor controllers that will vary motor speed based on a variable voltage.  They're not common.)
3) The peripheral that would give you a variable output voltage from a microcontroller is called a "Digital to Analog Converter" or DAC.  These are also relatively uncommon, but the KL25Z *does* have one.
4) It's more common to use PWM to control DC motor speed.  The KL25Z also has PWM outputs.  (they'll still need a driver to run a motor, but the driver is simpler than the one you'd need to use with the DAC.)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:45 am »
I'd like to run a simple motor at different speeds.

Can you provide more information about the motor you intend to use? (or are you also asking for a motor choice?)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf