Author Topic: How to know the maximum External SPI Flash memory supported by a 32-bit MCU?  (Read 6048 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Right. IIRC, some Cortex-M processors have "lazy" FPU context push that only happens when the ISR hits the first FPU instruction.
I don't think this is the case. This will prevent other optimizations like tail-chaining.

But FPU context save can definitely be disabled on all Cortex MCUs with FPU enabled. And not using FPU in ISRs is probably a good idea anyway.
Alex

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
some Cortex-M processors have "lazy" FPU context push that only happens when the ISR hits the first FPU instruction.
I don't think this is the case. This will prevent other optimizations like tail-chaining.
I should work.  I don't see why it should interfere with tail-chaining, either.  Effectively, it changes the "internal return address" of the ISR to different microcode.  Sort-of CISC-y, but not too bad.  (There are already effectively two different sets of ISR epilogue depending on whether FP save is enabled at all...)

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dai0298a/BCGHEEFD.html

(Back in the day, we sped up our ISR by not using floating point anywhere, and moving the main CPU registers into the FP registers, instead of stacking them.  (on MIPS or PPC, I think.  Probably without multiple interrupt priorities, or perhaps only for the ISR level that we considered most important.))

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf