Author Topic: How to reduce the data rate?(OV7670 + AL422B(FIFO) Camera Module)  (Read 5273 times)

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
i bought this module: OV7670 + AL422B(FIFO) Camera Module and i want to send the live video of the camera by this NRF24L01 but i have a problem.

I don't know is the RF module suitable(NRF24L01) for this job?

I think the data rate of the NRF24L01 isn't enough for camera. what's your opinion?

If you agree with me, in your opinion, how can I solve this problem?(in other word, can I reduce the size of the camera's data(video)?)

I should send the video by NRF24L01 for 1Mbps or more. in addition, I use of the ST32F103RET6 for this job.

if the information is not enough, please ask me your question untill answer to you.

also, i have already asked my question here
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline saigai

• Contributor
Re: How to reduce the data rate?(OV7670 + AL422B(FIFO) Camera Module)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:54:50 am »
Since the image is captured in the FIFO, you can proceed to send the image forward as slowly as you like. I've done it via normal usb/serial adapter myself..

After this, It's up to debate wether the stream should be called a slideshow instead of video...

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:13:46 am »
Thanks a lot for reply. by which MCU you do it? :)
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline saigai

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »
Thanks a lot for reply. by which MCU you do it? :)

I used msp430 to transfer the image at a ridiculously slow speed. This is not an useful application of the camera, but demonstrates well that there's no need to "reduce the data rate", as the data rate is completely up to you.

More details here:

http://www.rpg.fi/desaster/blog/2012/10/20/ov7670-fifo-msp430-launchpad/

Your actual question is probably if the NRF24L01 can be used to transfer images at a high enough speed to call it video. Unfortunately I have no idea.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »
They claim to have 2 Mbps air data rate.
If on a sunny day you actually reach half of that, you'll have about 150 KB or Kpixel per second of a grayscale image.
Thats about 0.4 fps.

If you MCU can handle that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf