Author Topic: How to transfer code into 8051 chip?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Raman12Topic starter

How to transfer code into 8051 chip?
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:20 pm »
I am new to microcontrollers, and I am using 8051. I have purchased a 8051 chip (AT89S51) but don't know how to use it. Means I know that Keil IDE is there for coding, but how to transfer the code into the microcontroller? I have searched and found that I should get burner, but I am not getting it, when I searched, all I found is development boards. Should I buy development boards, also I want to know the process after getting the burner.
Please help.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: How to transfer code into 8051 chip?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
The process depends on whether the programmer you buy is supported by the Keil IDE.  If it is, then you need to configure Keil to use the correct programmer (target options) and then it's as simple as building your code and clicking the "Download" button.

If your programmer requires an external application, then you will need to build your code, launch the programmer application, configure the target device, import the hex file produced by the Keil linker and then program your device.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 02:13:38 pm »
AT89S51 can be programmed with atmel ISP programmers or parallel programmer. For example you could DIY STK200 programmer (if computer has physical LPT port) and use this application to program them: http://dybkowski.net/content/en/node/15
Although using AT89S51 for new design is very strange decision as it is obsolete a hell. If particularly 8051 architecture is needed, better to go for Silicon Labs ICs which despite having 8051 compatible core are very fast and advanced MCUs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:16:21 pm by wraper »

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:38:27 pm »
Look into the MiniPro TL866 Universal Programmer as it is cheap enough to use for many IC's including the 8051. It is a simple matter to use the resulting .bin or .hex file after compiling in the Keil IDE and program the chip. Also as far as development boards, you can make your own setup using a breadboard and jumpers to any peripheral you wish and save the money from the dev board purchase and use it towards a programmer.
I am new to microcontrollers, and I am using 8051. I have purchased a 8051 chip (AT89S51) but don't know how to use it. Means I know that Keil IDE is there for coding, but how to transfer the code into the microcontroller? I have searched and found that I should get burner, but I am not getting it, when I searched, all I found is development boards. Should I buy development boards, also I want to know the process after getting the burner.
Please help.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:58:16 pm by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Mrinal4

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 04:59:34 pm »
AT89S51 can be burn using ISP programmer, there are lot of inexpensive burners are available, take a look here
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=8051+programmer
Don't buy dev boards if you want to learn basics. Use some flash burning software like Progisp to burn the .hex file into micro controller. 
Searching "getting started with 8051" gives many links I found this very practical and easy to understand:
http://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/getting-started-with-8051
Give it a look

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf