Author Topic: I have been in the mood of designing development boards...  (Read 1995 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
I have been in the mood of designing development boards...
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:11:36 am »
Last night while submitting LSOF boards for a next batch, I decided to cook up yet another dev kit. This time it is SiLabs C8051F330.

That board is designed in the form factor of a 0.6in DIP-18 size. Comes with onboard USB-serial and a CMSIS SWD connector for C2 debugging. Due to the size, it has been quite a squeeze to fit everything in.

I have been in the mood cooking up dev kits recently: LPC2103+DAP42 SushiBits ARM Classic Pro, STM32L4+XC2C32A SushiBits Duplex Mini, and this C8051F330 one M1DKv1-C8F330
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:13:59 am by technix »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: I have been in the mood of designing development boards...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:50 pm »
Are you actually trying to market these boards or are you mostly in it for the exercise itself?

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:31:24 pm »
Are you actually trying to market these boards or are you mostly in it for the exercise itself?
SushiBits ARM Classic Pro is being marketed - currently available on my Tindie store.
SushiBits Duplex Mini is currently a POC.
M1DKv1-C8F330 is not determined.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
SushiBits ARM Classic Pro is being marketed - currently available on my Tindie store.
In that case, can you perhaps tell us a bit more about what gap in the market you saw that needed filling and which role each of your boards plays in that?

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 07:14:29 pm »
In that case, can you perhaps tell us a bit more about what gap in the market you saw that needed filling and which role each of your boards plays in that?
SushiBits ARM Classic Pro is yet another Arduino Uno compatible board, but this time it is based on ARM7TDMI core. "Pro" in the name means it has an onboard CMSIS-DAP based debugger.

SushiBits Duplex Mini is a multi-POC for both some concepts I have in mind and some aspects of another project. Following some discussion I do see that project being revised into a MCU + FPGA + QSPI board in Arduino Uno form factor.

M1DKv1-C8F330 is an evaluation board for C8051F330, and also a C2-SWD interfacing POC (I am using the ARM CMSIS debug connector for a lot of things, and since at least on J-Link v9 SiLabs C2 interface also uses SWD format I am curious to try.) Currently it is essentially a breakout board with onboard USB serial and power regulator.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:50 am »
SushiBits ARM Classic Pro is yet another Arduino Uno compatible board, but this time it is based on ARM7TDMI core. "Pro" in the name means it has an onboard CMSIS-DAP based debugger.

SushiBits Duplex Mini is a multi-POC for both some concepts I have in mind and some aspects of another project. Following some discussion I do see that project being revised into a MCU + FPGA + QSPI board in Arduino Uno form factor.

M1DKv1-C8F330 is an evaluation board for C8051F330, and also a C2-SWD interfacing POC (I am using the ARM CMSIS debug connector for a lot of things, and since at least on J-Link v9 SiLabs C2 interface also uses SWD format I am curious to try.) Currently it is essentially a breakout board with onboard USB serial and power regulator.

Mr. Scram was prodding you gently to consider  the end market appeal of your dev boards.I don't want to be harsh I simply don't see them as being particularly compelling.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:44 am »
Mr. Scram was prodding you gently to consider  the end market appeal of your dev boards.I don't want to be harsh I simply don't see them as being particularly compelling.
Since two out of three are more POC than anything...

None of them are intended for end market purposes anyway, all of them intended for developers.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »

None of them are intended for end market purposes anyway, all of them intended for developers.

Are developers not an end-market for dev boards? ;D

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 07:58:08 am »

Being POC, I don't see selling them to anyone.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 11:57:04 pm »
Being POC, I don't see selling them to anyone.

Oh ok, so there is no market to talk about then! ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf