Author Topic: I have cloned the Analog Devices USBi device.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
I have cloned the Analog Devices USBi device.
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:59:37 pm »
That is the debug device intended for SigmaDSP. From Taobao the prices costs me an arm and a leg to buy even one, be it an ADI original or an existing Chinese clone - it actually cost me less to build 10 of them than buying one, so I cloned it. I intend to use it in my DSP enhanced Bluetooth headphone receiver project, as the debug probe building the ADAU1761 DSP program.

My clone is mostly faithful to the ADI original circuit as published in the application notes, albeit still replaced the CY7C68053 device with a cheaper and hand solderable CY7C68013. I also added a write protect jumper to combat the common beginner mistake of erasing the EEPROM contents of the USBi itself - without the jumper installed the onboard AT24C64 device is write protected. Since I have the say about the physical layout of the PCB, I managed to fit it into one of those "miniature ULink" style debug probe project boxes, so it is not a bare PCB like the ADI original or freeDSP's freeUSBi.

As of the firmware, Analog kindly left a CyScript file in the SigmaStudio installation folder. That file is reverse engineered into a EEPROM image. I did not manage to produce the CyConsole file for in-system flashing the EEPROM, but the EEPROM image can be loaded using a MiniPro programmer to the I2C EEPROM chip before being soldered onto the PCB.

I am wondering if I can, or should, sell this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:19:22 pm by technix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf