Author Topic: i.MX RT1015  (Read 3495 times)

Offline ehughesTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
i.MX RT1015
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:35:07 am »

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: i.MX RT1015
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 05:20:21 am »

Interesting, probably with features lower than the RT1020, will be the younger brother of the family.

We will have to see the comparison with the rest of RT, with an LQFP100 what is certain is that we can not connect an SDRAM or a Hyperflash.

If the final price, for retail purchase, does not exceed 3 or 4 dollars, it will be extraordinary.

Offline jaromir

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:02:52 am »
Table comparing the RT10xx devices is in fact sheet https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/IMXRTSERIESFS.pdf though proper datasheet would not hurt, too.

Offline rjp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 08:05:42 am »
seems the esp32 and the talk around open risc has dropped a bomb under the ARM vendors.

dual issue . 500mhz micros with all the fruit , for next to nothing, amazeballs.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:38 pm »
The price is related to the process technology.     You can fit more of the RT parts in the same die size as the Kinetis family.    Also, flash is a huge part of the IC area and cost.   Remove it pushes cost way down.   

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:44:16 pm by ehughes »

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:46:45 pm »
It's very nice, But I could not find a cool way of generating peripheral drivers, Something like STMCUBE, I could not find things in MCUxpresso |O Or Am I missing something totally wrong!!!
I think STM32H7  value line regarding having 400MHz and having STMCUBE are better somehow, Unless I could find something for peripheral drivers!

Also I prefer Keil over this stupid eclipse thing ;) :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:50:15 pm by ali_asadzadeh »
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »

For me, MCUXpresso is better than STM32 with Cubemx.
In MCUXpresso, you can use wizards to configure Ports, Clock and Peripherals (as you can with Cubemx), and in the SDK there are many examples of source code, practically for everything you want to do. There is nothing you can have in Cubemx, and you miss it in MCUXpresso.

Cubemx does not provide you with a library of examples of source code, and the program it generates is empty, you must write your own software. The functions for each peripheral that you have selected when configuring the Cubemx assistant are there, but there is no example of source code on how to use all those functions.

For me it is essential, you have a large library of examples of source code for all the most used peripherals, so I can see how to make my own program or modify some of the examples by adding new code. For example, Arduino also includes a lot of source code samples, although NXP with MCUXpresso and the SDKs are better organized and documented.

I have worked with PIC32, Atmel SAM S70, NXP Kinetis, Arduino for Teensy, STM32 with Cubemx, and without hesitation I prefer MCUXpresso with the new RT from NXP. From version 10.2, MCUXpresso integrates all the assistants within the IDE itself, so that the ready-to-use program is generated, or by importing any of the numerous sample sources of the SDK.

NXP, it seems that he is dedicating a lot of work to the MCUXpresso, so that it becomes a good working tool for all its microcontrollers, LPC, Kinetis and i.MX, and for now they are getting it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 04:30:38 pm »
https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You 1st generate an SDK.   Once an SDK installed,   MCUXpresso will generate example programs, etc and include all of the drivers in any newly created project.

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 05:12:40 pm »
For those who have looked at both CubeMX and MCUXpresso, could you compare the two on:
1) bloat
2) quality / readability of the source code
3) bugginess
?

On STM32 I would never in a million years dream of using CubeMX or the ST HAL.  I find it utterly appalling.  But I am new to IMXRT, and aware that the IMX6 heritage means their peripherals may be a bit more complicated, and also I have never looked at MCUXpresso.  Just curious if this particular specimen of vendor code stands any chance of winning me over :box:

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 05:20:45 am »
For me, MCUXpresso is better than STM32 with Cubemx.
In MCUXpresso, you can use wizards to configure Ports, Clock and Peripherals (as you can with Cubemx), and in the SDK there are many examples of source code, practically for everything you want to do. There is nothing you can have in Cubemx, and you miss it in MCUXpresso.

Cubemx does not provide you with a library of examples of source code, and the program it generates is empty, you must write your own software. The functions for each peripheral that you have selected when configuring the Cubemx assistant are there, but there is no example of source code on how to use all those functions.

For me it is essential, you have a large library of examples of source code for all the most used peripherals, so I can see how to make my own program or modify some of the examples by adding new code. For example, Arduino also includes a lot of source code samples, although NXP with MCUXpresso and the SDKs are better organized and documented.

I have worked with PIC32, Atmel SAM S70, NXP Kinetis, Arduino for Teensy, STM32 with Cubemx, and without hesitation I prefer MCUXpresso with the new RT from NXP. From version 10.2, MCUXpresso integrates all the assistants within the IDE itself, so that the ready-to-use program is generated, or by importing any of the numerous sample sources of the SDK.

NXP, it seems that he is dedicating a lot of work to the MCUXpresso, so that it becomes a good working tool for all its microcontrollers, LPC, Kinetis and i.MX, and for now they are getting it.

Thanks for the tips, Is there any Good tutorial out there?

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 01:45:08 pm »

Thanks for the tips, Is there any Good tutorial out there?

For MCUXpresso, the user manuals in PDF that are installed in the application directory, mainly the "MCUXpresso IDE User's Guide" and the "MCUXpresso Configuration Tools User's Guide".

And for SDK there are also User Manuals that you can download when create the SDK in the NXP web site. The main is "MCUXpresso SDK API Reference Manual".

The following users thanked this post: ali_asadzadeh

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 11:04:49 am »
For MCUXpresso, the user manuals in PDF that are installed in the application directory, mainly the "MCUXpresso IDE User's Guide" and the "MCUXpresso Configuration Tools User's Guide".

And for SDK there are also User Manuals that you can download when create the SDK in the NXP web site. The main is "MCUXpresso SDK API Reference Manual".

Thanks for the help, are you using MCUXpresso or keil for your projects? can I export the projects to keil?

Offline luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 04:35:59 pm »

Thanks for the help, are you using MCUXpresso or keil for your projects? can I export the projects to keil?

I work with MCUXpresso, it's free without limitations and professional features, I prefer to always work with free tools if they are of good quality. For NXP I use MCUXpresso, and for STM32 I work with Eclipse + AC6 and Cubemx, all for free.

When you generate the SDK on the NXP website, you can choose the destination tool, with options for MCUXpresso, GCC, IAR, Keil and you can also choose the OS, Windows, Mac or Linux.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:40:38 pm by luiHS »

The following users thanked this post: ali_asadzadeh

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 05:12:56 am »
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf