Author Topic: i Need help in designing PIC16f877a based development board  (Read 4523 times)

Offline samdareTopic starter

• Contributor
i Need help in designing PIC16f877a based development board
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:52:32 pm »
hey there, i need a schematic for designing development board PCB for PIC16f877a  using following stuff in circuit.
-PIC controller -atmega8a burner
-9 leds
-9 push buttons
-motor driver L293D
-2 small buzzer
-2 seven segment
-1LCD
-2ADC pin
-1main circuit switch on off circuit
-1 AC jack
-+9v dc
-1LED FOR CIRCUIT on off status indication
-1 7805 Voltage regulator
- USB connector with driver
-as comfortable male female pins
somebody help me with schematic ,rest all i can .Is there some open HARDWARE project out with more or less similar things

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: i Need help in designing PIC16f877a based development board
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:09:26 pm »
hey there, i need a schematic for designing development board PCB for PIC16f877a  using following stuff in circuit.
-PIC controller -atmega8a burner
-9 leds
-9 push buttons
-motor driver L293D
-2 small buzzer
-2 seven segment
-1LCD
-2ADC pin
-1main circuit switch on off circuit
-1 AC jack
-+9v dc
-1LED FOR CIRCUIT on off status indication
-1 7805 Voltage regulator
- USB connector with driver
-as comfortable male female pins
somebody help me with schematic ,rest all i can .Is there some open HARDWARE project out with more or less similar things
You might be able to find a ready made one from some Chinese forums.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »
name some where you expect to find please

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:06 pm »

Google...  'pic16f877a development board'

https://www.rhydolabz.com/development-boards-development-boards-c-206_99/pic16f877a-development-board-p-295.html

http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp  You can add extension boards to the basic controller

Are you sure you want to use this chip?  It is a regrettable choice considering the advances of the last 15 years or so.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:34 pm »

Google...  'pic16f877a development board'

https://www.rhydolabz.com/development-boards-development-boards-c-206_99/pic16f877a-development-board-p-295.html

http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp  You can add extension boards to the basic controller

Are you sure you want to use this chip?  It is a regrettable choice considering the advances of the last 15 years or so.
Yes , actually it's for teaching students from basic .

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • Visual Pin Configurator for Nucleo L152RE - produces SPL code.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
Here is a great one that can be used for any microcontroller. The problem is, the forum is in Polish (you have to use Google Translate) and the schematic can be downloaded only after you subscribe as member of that forum. But is worth doing it.

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2405136.html?l=en

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:07 pm »
Here is a great one that can be used for any microcontroller. The problem is, the forum is in Polish (you have to use Google Translate) and the schematic can be downloaded only after you subscribe as member of that forum. But is worth doing it.

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2405136.html?l=en
Thanks bro.

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:12 pm »
Welcome!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 05:14:30 pm »

I second this opinion too. With all the modern technology available, it might be better to start with something bigger - ARM Cortex-M4F maybe, like STM32F407, or the smaller Cortex-M0 chips like LPC1114. ARM comes with fully free (as in beer and as in speech) tools in GNU toolchain, Eclipse CDT with GNU MCU Eclipse plugin as IDE, and CMSIS-DAP full featured debug probes.

Or if you want to stick with Microchip, not counting what was Atmel parts, you can try PIC32 which is also a 32-bit RISC machine. Oh if you are teaching students BASIC the PIC32 can be even better an option since there is the Color MaxiMite environment which is basically a full (old school maybe) computer on itself.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 05:36:27 pm »

I second this opinion too. With all the modern technology available, it might be better to start with something bigger - ARM Cortex-M4F maybe, like STM32F407, or the smaller Cortex-M0 chips like LPC1114. ARM comes with fully free (as in beer and as in speech) tools in GNU toolchain, Eclipse CDT with GNU MCU Eclipse plugin as IDE, and CMSIS-DAP full featured debug probes.

Or if you want to stick with Microchip, not counting what was Atmel parts, you can try PIC32 which is also a 32-bit RISC machine. Oh if you are teaching students BASIC the PIC32 can be even better an option since there is the Color MaxiMite environment which is basically a full (old school maybe) computer on itself.
As monkey to man is more senseful similarly I thought "why not start from very  from basics" as in this case PIC16F877A, with expectation of understanding this "embedded electronics" stuff clearly.If my aim is to understand every node and corner of embedded don't you think ARM etc are "ready to serve" sort of things.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »
Its a crappy near-obsolete midrange PIC.  Possibly the only advantage it has is that local component sellers in less developed countries have heard of it and may even have some in stock at an exorbitant price.

If you *MUST* use a 'classic' PIC16 for educational purposes, for a more modern PIC in the same Midrange family, I recommend PIC16F887 - its about half the price, and has better peripherals while retaining the same pinout. 

However I would personally drop in a PIC18F46K22 - three times faster, four times the program memory and EEPROM and ten times the RAM and still cheaper than a PIC16F877A.  Its still an 8 bit PIC that can be programmed in MPASM assembler, (or C) but is far more powerful and nicer to code for.

Also its madness to put an AVR based PIC programmer on the board when you could use a cut-down clone of the PICkit 2 or 3 circuits to permit hardware debugging.  However its probably better just to put a rightangle ICSP/ICD header at the board edge and use a cheap PICkit 2 or 3 clone, as they can be bought for less than the parts to build an on-board programmer can in less than 100 unit quantities.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 08:02:28 pm »
As monkey to man is more senseful similarly I thought "why not start from very  from basics" as in this case PIC16F877A, with expectation of understanding this "embedded electronics" stuff clearly.If my aim is to understand every node and corner of embedded don't you think ARM etc are "ready to serve" sort of things.

Sure that STM32F407ZGT6 is an advanced chip...
* It can still be used as if it is a more basic one albeit with several orders of magnitude more Flash and RAM than the PIC16F877A. In most ARM chips most parts of the chip default to a powered down state, so as long as your process of study haven't touched upon that part of the chip, you can leave it powered down and it won't interfere with whatever you are currently learning. However since the options are there ready to use, using that level of system as a learning tool allows you to step up the difficulty tree without switching tools.
* Contrast to 8-bit PIC, ARM (as well as PIC32 and AVR) uses GCC as the C and C++ compiler, which supports the latest C11 and C++11 language standards. This is also the standard compiler used by a plethora of open source projects up to and including the Linux kernel.
* ARM cores are being used by multiple chip vendors, so if you can move from one vendor to another fairly quickly as the processor core, compiler, tools and debuggers are likely mostly shared. You can even hop from ARM to PIC32 to AVR fairly easily thanks to them all using the GCC compiler, albeit being different target architectures.
* Bonus point for STM32 series: since they rely on next to no fuse bits settings during normal operation. Almost everything usually done in fuse settings like clock configuration are handled using regular application code.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:16 pm »

Sure that STM32F407ZGT6 is an advanced chip...
* It can still be used as if it is a more basic one albeit with several orders of magnitude more Flash and RAM than the PIC16F877A. In most ARM chips most parts of the chip default to a powered down state, so as long as your process of study haven't touched upon that part of the chip, you can leave it powered down and it won't interfere with whatever you are currently learning. However since the options are there ready to use, using that level of system as a learning tool allows you to step up the difficulty tree without switching tools.
* Contrast to 8-bit PIC, ARM (as well as PIC32 and AVR) uses GCC as the C and C++ compiler, which supports the latest C11 and C++11 language standards. This is also the standard compiler used by a plethora of open source projects up to and including the Linux kernel.
* ARM cores are being used by multiple chip vendors, so if you can move from one vendor to another fairly quickly as the processor core, compiler, tools and debuggers are likely mostly shared. You can even hop from ARM to PIC32 to AVR fairly easily thanks to them all using the GCC compiler, albeit being different target architectures.
* Bonus point for STM32 series: since they rely on next to no fuse bits settings during normal operation. Almost everything usually done in fuse settings like clock configuration are handled using regular application code.
That was good :-D ,by the way do you know some good books on AVR,ARM or PIC32 with good learning slope.

Offline IonizedGears

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 08:51:14 pm »
As far as I've heard (I'm just into pic), Make: AVR is a pretty good book.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 08:54:02 pm »
As far as I've heard (I'm just into pic), Make: AVR is a pretty good book.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well then perhaps you know much about PIC32 ,any good resources for this online.

Offline IonizedGears

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:35 pm »
I'm not really familiar with PIC32 but from a quick search on amazon it looks like people like "Programming 32-bit Microcontrollers in C: Exploring the PIC32 (Embedded Technology)."
I am an EE with interests in Embedded, RF, Control Systems, and Nanotech.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 09:26:43 pm »
I'm not really familiar with PIC32 but from a quick search on amazon it looks like people like "Programming 32-bit Microcontrollers in C: Exploring the PIC32 (Embedded Technology)."
Thanks bro .

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 04:12:37 am »
@Samdare, if you build that board from the Polish forum, you have access to all PIC and AVR microcontrollers that are in a DIP case. Also, the peripherals from that board can be connected to a STM32 Nucleo board that has some pins 5V tolerant. But STM32 is quite steep to learn so, let that for another time.

As other said, a PIC18F46K22 is easy to start with (even using SDCC compiler, https://betterc18.blogspot.ro/2018/02/bootloader-and-board-upgrades.html), there are many PIC libraries and applications that can be adapted to this micro.

Other alternatives would be an STM8s (the S serie is 5V microcontrollers) board... it have some support in the SDCC compiler (which happens to be the number one these days in generating the fastest code). Again, you can connect the peripherals from that board to this one via wires with female connectors on both ends. Whatever micro you choose, that board from the Polish forum will be excellent for your courses and tutorials.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 04:32:38 am »
@Samdare, if you build that board from the Polish forum, you have access to all PIC and AVR microcontrollers that are in a DIP case. Also, the peripherals from that board can be connected to a STM32 Nucleo board that has some pins 5V tolerant. But STM32 is quite steep to learn so, let that for another time.

As other said, a PIC18F46K22 is easy to start with (even using SDCC compiler, https://betterc18.blogspot.ro/2018/02/bootloader-and-board-upgrades.html), there are many PIC libraries and applications that can be adapted to this micro.

Other alternatives would be an STM8s (the S serie is 5V microcontrollers) board... it have some support in the SDCC compiler (which happens to be the number one these days in generating the fastest code). Again, you can connect the peripherals from that board to this one via wires with female connectors on both ends. Whatever micro you choose, that board from the Polish forum will be excellent for your courses and tutorials.
"...build that board from the polish forum"  what does that mean,sorry I didn't get you @vasi.

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 06:00:18 am »

"...build that board from the polish forum"  what does that mean,sorry I didn't get you @vasi.

The link I gave you earlier

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:38 am »
Choosing an MCU is all about what you want to do. If you need some one off product and you want the shortest amount of time spent to make something, consider PSoC. It comes with graphical block-based peripheral assignment tool and based on peripherals used, it automatically generates peripheral library code with easy to use API. Essentially, it's a hardware reconfigurable Arduino.

If you are after low cost, here are a few paths you can go along: 8-bitters and Cortex M0. Both are available in less than $1, and among them there are some $0.5 Chinese 8051s. AVR classic (not the XMEGA stuff) is basically dead, they are expensive and low performance, mostly for supporting existing industrial and hobbyist customers.

If you are after low power, MSP430 and new AVR/PIC are all valid options. MSP430 is more expensive, but they sometimes come with FRAM, so you can save the EEPROM while never have to worry about EEPROM/FLASH wearing. I know there are a lot of MSP430 haters, but anyway I like them. Particularly because of their DSBGA package and the TI company.

The most important thing is to get your hands on some MCU board, then learn from that one. Moving to another chip is really easy as long as you have your first experience with any embedded system.

Hi @blueskull, in the Universities from Poland, this kind of AVR board is promoted (see attachment). Is not only the micro. Students have to learn how to use the peripherals on that board. They choose the AVRs as it is easier to learn than a 32bit micro and it has the gcc toolchain. What student will use once he goes to a company, is not the teachers job, as his student now have the basics. And, these basics must be easy to learn in a very short time. @Samdare was interested in this kind of board. Fortunately, the design of the board I linked to, permits any kind of 5V DIP case micro.

BTW, the language they teach is C because they target their industrial area, no Arduino/Wiring thing, that is for artists and hobby.

Some of the applications for that board:

This can be useful in an egg incubator:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:58:46 am by Vasi »

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 06:52:22 am »
Choosing an MCU is all about what you want to do. If you need some one off product and you want the shortest amount of time spent to make something, consider PSoC. It comes with graphical block-based peripheral assignment tool and based on peripherals used, it automatically generates peripheral library code with easy to use API. Essentially, it's a hardware reconfigurable Arduino.

If you are after low cost, here are a few paths you can go along: 8-bitters and Cortex M0. Both are available in less than $1, and among them there are some $0.5 Chinese 8051s. AVR classic (not the XMEGA stuff) is basically dead, they are expensive and low performance, mostly for supporting existing industrial and hobbyist customers.

If you are after low power, MSP430 and new AVR/PIC are all valid options. MSP430 is more expensive, but they sometimes come with FRAM, so you can save the EEPROM while never have to worry about EEPROM/FLASH wearing. I know there are a lot of MSP430 haters, but anyway I like them. Particularly because of their DSBGA package and the TI company.

The most important thing is to get your hands on some MCU board, then learn from that one. Moving to another chip is really easy as long as you have your first experience with any embedded system.

Hi @blueskull, in the Universities from Poland, this kind of AVR board is promoted (see attachment). Is not only the micro. Students have to learn how to use the peripherals on that board. They choose the AVRs as it is easier to learn than a 32bit micro and it has the gcc toolchain. What student will use once he goes to a company, is not the teachers job, as his student now have the basics. And, these basics must be easy to learn in a very short time. @Samdare was interested in this kind of board. Fortunately, the design of the board I linked to, permits any kind of 5V DIP case micro.

BTW, the language they teach is C because they target their industrial area, no Arduino/Wiring thing, that is for artists and hobby.
@vasi : That a was good piece of info.Same is the case in India ,basic first ,rest all up to student.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 06:53:42 am »

The link I gave you earlier
I got it

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 07:08:17 am »
@vasi : That a was good piece of info.Same is the case in India ,basic first ,rest all up to student.

Same in China, and actually same in US, at least in my universities (I had my BS in China, MS and PhD in US). But I don't think this is a good idea. By spoon feeding students with pre-made experiment materials (pre-designed boards, source code samples, experiment procedures, etc.), the educator takes away the painful but beneficial process of finding, analyzing and solving problems.

Since I started doing this TA job, I saw so many students that just want to ask even without Googling, let along thinking.
I agree with this [emoji106]

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 07:11:55 am »

Aren't these Psoc are like FPGA , programed based on need.

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 07:19:37 am »
Aren't these Psoc are like FPGA , programed based on need.

PSoC chips have a very few CPLD built-in, the largest one having 384 logic elements. This small logic fabric is intended to handle some timing critical IOs and that's it. It doesn't have enough resource to handle a lot of logic. The main logic will be handled on CPU, which is Cortex-M0 (PSoC4) or M3 (PSoC 5LP).

Another programmable feature of PSoC is analog routing capability. You can route analog signals with very great level of freedom, especially on PSoC5LP.

But no, it's not FPGA. It doesn't have nearly as dense logic.

When PSoC boots, it loads its configuration stream (containing analog and digital routing information, logic fabric configuration and system configuration, such as clock, charge pump settings, SWD settings, etc.), then CPU runs user program.

In case of PSoC5LP, there's another programmable part, that's IO pullups/pulldowns. These are stored in an MTP memory that gets loaded even before anything else, even during reset.
Thanks bro

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 10:03:45 am »
I edited the #21 reply from the other page, where I added some examples. I think that is a nice effect of "feeding the basics into the student with the spoon". You give the student the lego pieces and you award the ingenuity shown in their creations. Is a normal and desired process.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf