Author Topic: IGLOO nano V2 vs. V5  (Read 1147 times)

Offline nicalitzTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
IGLOO nano V2 vs. V5
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:44:57 am »
Quick question for those of you familiar with Microsemi's IGLOO nano FPGA chips:

I've noticed that these chips offer two voltage supply specifications: V2 spec, which allows supply voltages between 1.2V and 1.5V, and V5 spec, which allows 1.5V supply voltage only.

Now to my question: What advantages, if any, does the V5 spec'ed parts have over the V2? Particularly from a functional/performance point of view? The V5s seem to be slightly less expensive than the V2s (even though not by much), which could count in its favor for large scale production.

I assume that the V5s are merely V2s that have been scrapped (i.e., failed testing). Would anyone be able to confirm this for me? If this is not the case, what are the differences in terms of fabrication?

Finally, if I am correct is assuming that the V5s are scrapped V2s, would it be possible for the V2 part to deteriorate over time, especially when operated in harsh environments (ionizing radiation in particular), to also exhibit reduced functionality when powered from 1.2V?

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: IGLOO nano V2 vs. V5
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:12:32 pm »
Just google "cmos ionizing radiation", all CMOS is affected, tons of
work done in this area. Also check NASA tech briefs for studies
done on this.

Regards,. Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline nicalitzTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: IGLOO nano V2 vs. V5
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion Dana.

Thankfully I have a firm understanding of the effects of radiation on CMOS technology. And yes, by rule of thumb, CMOS does tend to be more susceptible to radiation at lower voltages.

The focus of my question was more to draw comparisons between the V2 and V5 parts, particularly in terms of their fabrication. The radiation part of my original post was intended more as a side note.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf