Author Topic: Best programmer  (Read 1260 times)

Offline RAPERTopic starter

• Contributor
Best programmer
« on: April 08, 2024, 09:03:49 pm »
Hello everyone

I am looking for the most efficient one that supports as many stm8/32 + gd32 + other systems as possible.

I have several types from aliexpress:

1.aliexpress.com/item/1005006345507873.html
2.aliexpress.com/item/1005004605070496.html
3.aliexpress.com/item/1005002181553419.html
4.aliexpress.com/item/1005006126839358.html
5.aliexpress.com/item/1005006166650732.html
6.aliexpress.com/item/1005006145455327.html
7.aliexpress.com/item/1005004710121058.html

Which of them is worth buying, regardless of the price? Or maybe there is something better than them?

Offline prosper

• Regular Contributor
Re: Best programmer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 01:56:36 am »
the *only* programmer that supports both stm8 and stm32 together is the st-link. Some of the aliexpress stlink clones work well, others not so much. Id recommend getting a genuine stlink v3 from st direct. theyre only a few dollars for the more basic ones, and they meet your criteria of stm8 and stm32.

However

stlinks may not work with non-st mcus. So, if your criteria are STM8 AND STM32 AND other non-st ARMs - well, there isnt such a device.

If you eliminate the STM8 requirement, then Segger JLinks or cmsis DAPLinks will support most ARM based mcus.

And, as far as I know, there isnt a 'standard' programmer that supports RISCV  mcu's from mixed manufacturers. Something that can do JTAG instead of just swd might get you some mileage, but i really don't think you're going to find a magical 'do everything' probe.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 03:01:43 am »
unless you check the ic support in theses brands like ELNEC XELTEC TNM7000  and others  ...

they are universal up to a point, and some mcu cpu etc .. and may need to be paid    IE:  Xeltec 7000 has payable licenses

yes as mentioned, there is no absolute programmer

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 08:22:30 am »
as many stm8/32 + gd32 + other systems as possible.
Why?  That may have made sense when a single programmer would set you back hundreds or thousands of dollars, but nowadays vendors are likely to offer cheap chip-specific programs (and eval boards with built-in programmer/debuggers) at quite reasonable prices.  Not to mention the clones, and the firmware to use your Arduino as a programmer, and etc (things are so much better now that most chips no longer require weird voltage(s)...)

Even if you have a general purpose programmer, you're likely to find that your vendor-supplied IDE doesn't like it nearly as much as the vendor's cheap alternative...

Offline josfemova

• Contributor
  • Tropical FW dev
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 05:47:44 pm »
Just get a Seeeduino Xiao M0 and install the daplink firmware on it

https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Seeeduino-XIAO-DAPLink/

Pinout

Alternatively just get a Pi Pico and install the debug probe firmware:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/debugprobe

Both are compatible with the CMSIS-DAP spec and can be used in Keil/IAR/openocd

The following users thanked this post: Dazed_N_Confused

Offline prosper

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 07:59:33 pm »
Just get a Seeeduino Xiao M0 and install the daplink firmware on it

https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Seeeduino-XIAO-DAPLink/

Pinout

Alternatively just get a Pi Pico and install the debug probe firmware:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/debugprobe

Both are compatible with the CMSIS-DAP spec and can be used in Keil/IAR/openocd

That doesn't help with the STM8 use case. And if you're willing to do without STM8, then I'd steer more towards a WCH-LinkE - you get ARM support, as well as WCH RISC-V support. And if you flash this [ https://github.com/prosper00/CH32V305-DAPLink-HS ] firmware over top of the factory version, you get USB-2.0 high speed ARM debugging too. Really useful for faster flashing speeds with larger devices. You lose the R-V support, though. For $4 or $5 though, just buy another one.

Offline __george__

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 08:33:49 pm »
There are some very good replies here, I learned some nice firmware debugging probe projects, nice!

But I mentioned that all the debuggers that the initial author posted here are "Offline" programmers, I have not used any of these before. Are they just storing the firmware binary and then just flash it without being connected to a computer?

Edit: Reminder to myself: Don't ask questions  for which the answer is on the description of the listing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:48:07 pm by __george__ »

Offline RAPERTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 09:33:06 pm »
Hello again, I finally made some mega purchases, of course reading your suggestions and types.

I bought :

1. J LINK V12 Jtag Swd
2. STLINK-V3SET
3. WCH LinkE Debugger
4. PWLINK2 gdlink GD-Link programmer full not lite.

Yes, I know, you will soon say that I am crazy and why spend so much money. However, I am asking for your opinion on whether this set can be used specifically.

anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Offline IOsetting

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 04:47:13 am »
Most of the time I use JLink OB, but it can't program STM8 and RISCV.

Offline John Celo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 03:12:11 pm »
Hello again, I finally made some mega purchases, of course reading your suggestions and types.

I bought :

1. J LINK V12 Jtag Swd
2. STLINK-V3SET
3. WCH LinkE Debugger

Yes, I know, you will soon say that I am crazy and why spend so much money. However, I am asking for your opinion on whether this set can be used specifically.

I'm a fresh beginner, and I bought DAPLink (weactstudio), STLink (weactstudio), J-Link clone and WCHLinke on ali anniversary sale, i think i paid roughly ~10eur total give or take.

Obviously I have very little clue of what's what!
But generally speaking:
1. I will use WCHLinke for WCH RISC-V mcus (although it supposedly works for arm chips too). This works very well for WCH mcus!
2. STLink for stm32 specifically.
3. DAPLink for generic arm chips.
4. J-link clone... i have yet to test out, probably shouldn't have bought this one.

Plus, most of them double as USB-Serial-UART chips too. For like ~10 eur I paid I don't think I'll be needing anything else for a bloody long time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 03:14:06 pm by John Celo »

Offline aliarifat794

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 03:32:22 pm »
If you ask my honest opinion. I do not trust alliexpress sellers. Unidentified sellers are more likely to rip off money. Try to buy from an authorised STM product distributor.

Offline __george__

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 05:59:28 pm »

I bought :

1. J LINK V12 Jtag Swd
2. STLINK-V3SET
3. WCH LinkE Debugger

You have some overlapping devices there for sure  ;D

But anyway, this set should allow you to debug/program nearly every Cortex-M in this planet + STM8 + GD and WCH (and maybe even more) RISCV microcontrollers.

Since you bought the Segger and the ST-LINK and the other ones though you can now compare their tooling and decide which works better for you.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 08:14:51 pm »
I'm using this ST-LINKv2 (but I bought it several years ago from another seller):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004573063.html

It works ok for all STM32, also I tried it with STM8 it also works.
The only con is missing UART pin for debugging. But you can mod it with manual soldering wire.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 05:09:59 am »
I have a STM32F103 48pin on an oversized breakout board, and I have an 8MHz crystal, 3V3 regulator and even a USB jack. I want to try making a ST-link, and uploading the code to it's chip, with a STM32uino.

Maybe USB won't even work on a through-hole protoboard, with the MCU on a breakout board, and no ground planes or anything like a multi-layer PCB.

https://stm32world.com/wiki/DIY_STM32_Programmer_%28ST-Link/V2-1%29
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:13:10 am by MathWizard »

Offline AVI-crak

• Regular Contributor
    • Rtos
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 09:08:32 pm »
I have been using a CH347 based programmer lately. The chip is very simple but uniquely fast. It has no built-in support for architectures like STLink. All protocol processing is external, programmatic. This property allows you to program absolutely all chips, at breakneck speed. Real-time debugging mode without waiting. Much faster than STLink V3.
And the main thing is that all Chinese chips are friendly with it.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 09:19:57 pm »
Unless you plan on only using open source tools, whatever you get make sure your IDE works with it.

Don't get some no-name Chinese thing and be surprised if STM32CubeIDE doesn't want to talk to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf