Author Topic: mc68332 EVS, BBC-DI module, DI protocol ?  (Read 10420 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
mc68332 EVS, BBC-DI module, DI protocol ?
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:15:23 am »

hi
does anyone have informations about the (BBC-)DI protocol used in the MC68332/EVS board ?
DI stands for Debugger Interface

The DI-debug-processor is handled by an HC11 chip + a custom ASIC chip that handles "break & watch points", and it's physically located on the tiny module on the right, it has a CON9 RS232 connector, and it speaks @ 9600bps, unfortunately I not have the software on the PC side and the DI protocol is binary.

I need informations in order to write a piece of software to interface the DI.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:28:41 pm by legacy »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: mc68332 EVS, BBC-DI module, DI protocol ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
There's a relic.  I think I still have a few of these sitting around.   What exactly do you need?     

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:53 pm »
To answer your question, I have all of the documentation and disks that came with the eval board. 

For BD32,  P&E is still around.  Everything I did back then was using the BDM.   I have written my own code to interface with that adapter and designed my own adapter back in those days.   This information can be found in the CPU32 BDM manual.   

https://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=76

$525 would get you the cable and debugger.   

I don't think that they gave any details on the protocol for the debugger.  The manuals just talked about how to use it.   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:40 am »
Here are the two old relics from 1991.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:07 pm »
Attached are copies of the two original disks supplied with the eval boards.     Motorola used to have an FTP site where they archived all of their files.   I doubt it exists anymore.   There may have been later releases.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:17:15 am »
Hard to say.  Maybe your trying to run it on a PC that is too new?  Maybe your DOS is too new?   Being well over 20 years old it may be difficult to get support.   

I would need to setup an old PC to try it out.     

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:43:41 am »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:14:13 am »
Have you tried DosBox? maybe that works at least to run the program to see if you can decompress it.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:26:17 am »
I wonder what a crap ? Why Motorola sold program compiled this way ? Without a readme about what I need/have to do to run their program  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

91, floppy space was a premium.    The program was not "sold".  It was offered as "freeware".   They supplied a manual for the debugger with the board.   

Motorola seems a crap about this EVS, also Freescale have answered they do not have any documentation/Apps/whatever …  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back when this was originally done, they ran a BBS.   It was moved to an FTP site at one time but even that was maybe the mid 90s.    I am not too surprised that they no longer have documentation available for an evaluation board from 20+ years ago.

@joeqsmith
that m683xx bdm is good for the BDM, in order to replace BD32.exe, but the BBCDI talks serially, Cougar.exe and DIBUG.exe are designed to talk to the DI module on the EVS board thorough a serial protocol that is not BDM and it has advanced features, e.g. the breakpoint unit in the ASIC chip installed in the BCCDI module. This chip is controller serially.

Yea, I know how it works, sort of...   Again it has been a very long time ago.   I am only suggesting another more common approach to develop with the CPU32.   Really, I doubt there are many of these old evaluation boards around.   From what I remember the DI was really just a high level BDM interface.  The only real advantage (other than not having to bit bang a printer port) was that it had some hardware to do breakpoints.   The BDM alone will handle  software breakpoints.   Well, it also did not cost much to get started compared with a full out HP system.   

If you forget the DI and do your own thing with the BDM, you can even support some of the newer parts.   To be honest, I can't think of anytime when using the BDM where I could not do what I needed.   Bit banging the port was slow (better than JTAG) but for basic hardware checkout and programming was fine.     

Shown below are my Microtek ICE and Hewlett Packard Processor Probe.  Both for the CPU32.   To the left is my Pentica for the 6811, modified to work at a high speed of 8MHz!   :-DD   

The HP is similar to the DI except you can ditch the old RS232 and move to Ethernet.   This was actually a nice little setup for it's time.  Cheaper than the real HP systems.  :-DD     The Microtek also uses Ethernet to interface with the PC.   

Another option may be to use the CPU32BUG.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:58:40 am by joeqsmith »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:20 am »
I could not find my original P&E BDM interface for the CPU32.  It is similar to the one on the left, also P&E BDM for the Coldfire.   Center is my home made BDM interface based on P&E's.   Again, they did open source it so you may be able to make one.   Right is my homemade JTAG interface for the 68306.   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 02:19:21 am »
Way way off topic, because I am digging out old stuff....

This is my homemade ICE for the MC68701.   The interface was DOS of course...   I think I put it into public domain (back in the BBS days).   

The unit on the right is my programmer.  I had another one I made for my PC.  This one mimics a standard PROM.  So you would plug it into a standard programmer.  Load your program into a dual ported area, push the button and it would self program.   Based the design off of the Motorola application note.  Made mine more fancy was all.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:02:23 am by joeqsmith »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:00 am »
I simply love your Microtek ICE and Hewlett Packard Processor Probe. Unfortunately they are extremely hard to find and if found they are extremely expensive, too.

Not sure why they would be expensive.   I doubt many people are working with the CPU32 anymore.   It was a fairly common part in automotive (like most of the other Motorola parts).   Maybe there are a few people changing their ECMs.    :-//      Did manage to find my old P&E BDM.   

Looks like you are making some good progress with your project.   You will need to post more.     I did attempt to run that software on my Pent PC.  Same overlay error.   Looked through the manual for it.  They really did not say their were any requirements.  DOS 3.x and newer.  Put all the files in the same directory.     I would need to try it on my old IBM PC.   Even if it worked, it really limits what you would be able use to hack it.     

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:45:37 am »
I remember pklite.  It was very cool.

If you can find a working pklite.exe, perhaps you can use the -x option to decompress your .exe files, which should at least cause them to issue better error messages.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 02:16:55 pm »
I unpacked dibug.exe with UNP (see attached) but the same "Overlay not found"  :-- The message is in the file but IDA could not find a reference easily. Maybe I'll have another look later
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 11:07:49 pm »
Maybe the following has some of the original files.   

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf