Author Topic: Microchip MPLAB ICD 3, for XP and Vista?!  (Read 3835 times)

Offline andersjmTopic starter

• Contributor
Microchip MPLAB ICD 3, for XP and Vista?!
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
I just bought the "MPLAB ICD 3" in-circuit debugger from Microchip.

I'm quite amazed at the fact that the box states that Windows XP and Windows Vista are supported, but doesn't mention Windows 7 or Windows 8.

End of mainstream support for XP and Vista respectively was 2009 and 2012. Even Windows 7 is no longer sold on new computers.

I believe the product does actually work with Windows 7 though.

Is it too expensive to update the packaging, or does Microchip consider the ICD3 to be obsolete?

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
Re: Microchip MPLAB ICD 3, for XP and Vista?!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
My ICD3 works fine on XP, Windows 7 (MPLAB 8.92) and Windows 8 (MPLAB X)

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:06 am »
The most up-to-date system requirements are listed in the MPLAB X release notes.

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:29:00 pm »
Should there come a time in the future when a new version of Windows obsoletes USB hardware still useful to you, you should still be able to run it in any virtual machine emulator that allows connection of arbitrary USB devices directly to the VM.  I use Oracle VirtualBox, but there are others.  Although not yet necessary, I've verified the PICkit3 works in this configuration.  Using a VM, I still use another piece of hardware which hasn't officially worked since Windows 2000.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:23 pm »
I do all my embedded development in a Linux box so I can switch host OS (W7 or another Linux box).
Passing through USB devices has always worked for me with Virtualbox. I use it for PICKIT2, PICKIT3, ST Link, J-Link, etc.

So I wouldn't worry that W7 is not listed. As far as I know the biggest differences would be between XP and Vista driver model, but as they are both listed I am not worried W7 would work.
W8 may be a different, because it has had quite some changes on how strict it is with unsigned drivers. As long as they are signed it should just install I think (however I do not run/use W8 myself).

Offline andersjmTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:03:14 pm »
Thanks for all replies!

I use linux exclusively, and I believe this will work (haven't had time to try yet). The text makes me think the box design is at least 5 years old, which had me worried that the ICD 3 is obsolete.

But I take it the there are no indications that Microchip consider the ICD 3 obsolete then?

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:30:04 pm »
icd3 is current and works perfectly fine with mplabx under linux. I use it all the time with linux every day. I do have an adapter from rj11 to straight 6 pin icsp because the rj11 is pants.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf