Author Topic: Microchip XC32 v1.40 compiler - PLIB kicked out???  (Read 15164 times)

Offline benSTmaxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Microchip XC32 v1.40 compiler - PLIB kicked out???
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:16 pm »
I was checking the Microchip's website today (just to kill some minutes) and I read their latest XC32 compiler (v1.40) doesn't contain PLIB anymore!!!  :palm: :palm: :palm:

The release notes section for the v1.40 didn't mention anything about the removal of PLIB. On the notes of the v1.32, I saw the link to get the PLIB libraries as separate installer. http://www.microchip.com/pic32_peripheral_lib

Now, on the PLIB download page I can see the following statement:
Peripheral libraries for PIC32MX products are not needed for Harmony development. Microchip recommends using MPLAB Harmony for new projects. To download MPLAB Harmony, click here.
No Harmony, please!  |O
When coming to 32-bit MCUs, I used both ARMs (from CM0 to CM4) and MIPS (PIC32MX). When using the PIC32MX, PLIB was good for hiding away some of the gory details of the MIPS core.
I tried Harmony with on opened mind but it is simply too cumbersome, poorly documented and I don't think I would start using it too soon unless it improves. And I am starting to hate it already ...  :box:

It seems Microchip wants to push their PIC32 customers to use Harmony even in its poor shape as it is today. If in the future they won't offer PLIB for new parts anymore, I'll forget about PIC32s altogether.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Microchip XC32 v1.40 compiler - PLIB kicked out???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:33 am »
Regrettably, I fear that Harmony has already done so much harm to Microchip that it's difficult to comprehend how they will be able to recover at this end of the MCU market.

With their current tool release, which dictates use of the bug infested and bloatware Harmony framework for all PIC32 devices, it's nigh on impossible to create a production ready product for those devices. The favoured option is to use the older MLA. As the PIC32MZ was never supported by MLA, its future isn't bright (irrespective of the record number of silicon bugs, let alone those in the framework).

At the upper end MCU world, many previously dedicated PIC folks have been moving to Cortex M3 and M4 as a result.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:04:44 am »
Harmony... is this a similar thing to ST's cube?

If so what's the deal with silicon manufacturers forcing their ideas of abstraction on us. Just give us the damn headers and leave the implementation details to us :palm:

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:48:44 am »
I was checking the Microchip's website today (just to kill some minutes) and I read their latest XC32 compiler (v1.40) doesn't contain PLIB anymore!!!
The big compiler warning you've been getting when using PLIB headers for the past few releases didn't tip you off this was going to happen? I think the XC32 1.40 installer also mentioned it.

If so what's the deal with silicon manufacturers forcing their ideas of abstraction on us. Just give us the damn headers and leave the implementation details to us
The device headers are included with the compiler.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:16:46 am »
The last paragraph on the harmony page leads here: http://www.microchip.com/SoftwareLib.aspx for non-harmony development, or is that something different?

Offline benSTmaxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:41:06 am »
I was checking the Microchip's website today (just to kill some minutes) and I read their latest XC32 compiler (v1.40) doesn't contain PLIB anymore!!!
The big compiler warning you've been getting when using PLIB headers for the past few releases didn't tip you off this was going to happen? I think the XC32 1.40 installer also mentioned it.

I saw the compiler warning in the previous versions of the XC32 compiler but I was hoping Microchip to forget about taking it out because of the customer complaints on Harmony. Is there anyone around this forum (with no connection with Microchip whatsoever) to tell us they like Harmony?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »
The last paragraph on the harmony page leads here: http://www.microchip.com/SoftwareLib.aspx for non-harmony development, or is that something different?

The PIC32 peripheral libraries are indeed separately downloadable, but they are no longer maintained as I understand it.

If you want USB and/or the IP stack, the last actively updated MLA to support PIC32MX was the 15 March 2013 release. For PIC32MZ you have to use Harmony if you want to use USB or IP at all, unless you fancy rolling your own.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »
The PIC32 peripheral libraries are indeed separately downloadable, but they are no longer maintained as I understand it.
IIRC they've said on their forums that they'll fix bugs, but no new features and no new part support will be added.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:36:40 pm »
Just stay with 1.34. FYI, the compiler source is posted, you can build your own if you are that sensitive to the quality of the tools. You may also build your own if you want optimizations after first 60 days. Peripheral support is trivial and not a huge loss; IP, USB stacks are horrible contraptions and shall never be used for anything serious (for any definition of 'serious') anyway.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »
Just stay with 1.34.
1.40 rebased from GCC 4.5 to 4.8, which is IMO a significant reason to upgrade.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »
Just stay with 1.34.

It has been rebased by MC, which is a significant reason to stay away from it till at least ver.1.5.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:38:55 pm »
Just stay with 1.34.

It has been rebased by MC, which is a significant reason to stay away from it till at least ver.1.5.

;D

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 10:59:02 pm »
yeah, harmony is still a moving target, breaking crap from release to release. its not even close to stable so I dont know how they expect people to use it.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:12 am »
yeah, harmony is still a moving target, breaking crap from release to release. its not even close to stable so I dont know how they expect people to use it.

"Microchip MPLAB® Harmony is the result of a holistic, aggregate approach"

So there you have it, but would anyone care to elucidate WTF that means?

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:24 am »
Sometimes companies shoot themselves in the foot by pushing poorly implemented frameworks on their customers. But with Harmony, Microchip is shooting themselves in the head.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline znroot

• Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 12:54:44 pm »
And as now MPLAB harmony don't support C++... If you're going to use it you must keep writing code in C!
I love negative feedback

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf