Electronics > Microcontrollers

MPLAB X a PIC inhibitor! Alternatives ?

(1/63) > >>

fourtytwo42:
I have been using PIC micro's for years using MPLAB 8.92 apparently being the last release before MPLAB X was introduced, I did try X when it first came out, didn't like it and stuck to plain MPLAB.

Recently needing extra power I was looking at several of the DsPIC33 series, everything was fine till I discovered they were not supported in MPLAB 8.92 so downloaded the latest MPLAB X.

OMG how horrible! firstly it is very very super slow apparently due to it's Java base, but IMOP it is very unfriendly, I keep code with all the other project documents and expect to invoke the toolchain from there, not so with X. It probably falls into the classification of trying to do to much and none of it well.

I have no intention of wasting my time on such junk so will abandon any idea of using chips exclusively supported by it. Does anybody have experience of faster and more user friendly tool chains supporting 16/32 bit micro's that are free and run on windows (assembly only is fine) ?

eugenenine:
My laptop is at least 5 years old and I don't find it slow.  But there are other tool chains such as sdcc.

gocemk:
I have the same problem. Currently i'm working on a project with dsPIC33EP512MU810 and MPLAB X under windows 10. The IDE is soooooo slow, even on SSD! Was searching the net these days for a better alternative, but couldn't find any. EmBitz: https://www.embitz.org] [url]https://www.embitz.org[/url] sounded like a good candidate, but unfortunately dsPIC33EP is not supported. Installed MPLAB X v.4.05 today and it doesn't feel any better. Also, the code parser is still giving false errors and highlighting on startup.   :palm:

fourtytwo42:

--- Quote from: eugenenine on November 03, 2017, 07:38:53 pm ---My laptop is at least 5 years old and I don't find it slow.  But there are other tool chains such as sdcc.

--- End quote ---
I think (maybe wrong) these are all 8 bit micro's, I use mplab 8.92 for those with no problems but I need a 16 or 32 bit micro with either dsp extensions or so many mips it doesn't matter!

Bruce Abbott:
Which DsPIC33s are you looking at?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version