Author Topic: multi output psu  (Read 4647 times)

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
multi output psu
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »
Ok ,i have a number of things that need a +12 -12 and +5v psu to operate, they obviously come out onto a molex 5pos single row connector, I really do not wish to have to build such a supply so does anyone know if there is one commercially available apart from butchering a ATX supply ?.

and as i said in my other post, what is it with arduino cases that will not let you add a shield or such without taking the arduino out of the box , that drives me nuts.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline jabramo

• Regular Contributor

• Supporter
Re: multi output psu
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »
I dont want to have to buy an atx psu to then add that to it, I want a supply that is all in one if that makes sense. I mean if that came in a box with the atx supply inside then maybe, I suppose I could take one apart shove it all in a single case and say voila. I just dont like bodged up kit on my work bench.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »
 :palm: nope i already have a bench supply like that, i want one that is small, but gives me +12v -12V and +5v all at the same time. Preferable on a 5 pos single row header.

Offline jabramo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:06:08 pm »
Just make on yourself with some DC-DC converters. Take a couple of 12v converters and a 5v converter feed in a 12V wall wart and voila, could be fit on a >10cmx10cm vector board with what ever kind of connectors you want.

Or just buy a converter like this

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/VYC30W-Q24-T512-H/102-2581-ND/3198189

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:13:11 pm »
I think I am going to have too. just annoying is all. I can not understand why the people who make the modules etc do not also make supplys or cases that actually fit so you can add shields etc on top without taking it out of the case, or why you cant buy cases for the sig/freq generators from china and other such things. My bench has a lot of these things on it and most of it is floating about without protection.

Offline Hideki

• Frequent Contributor

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »
hi deathwish.  Are you looking for something on a 5 pin header so it can fit into a breadboard?

You mentioned that the suppliers from china make all these "modules" ( I think you mean populated and functioning PCB boards) but they don't make a case too.  And thus they are strewn about your bench unprotected.  I agree with this, I have several open boards like this and I hate it too. If it's worth putting into a case then I'll just make a case for it myself, either using something quick and dirty (i.e. altoids) or if I want a pro-look I'll buy a case.

For your PSU, if you had a PC board with  DC-DC convertors on it, that gave you +5, +12, -12, and it had a 5 pin 0.1" header, are you plugging that into a breadboard?  But you also mentioned shields, so that's a different use-case than a breadboard.

So, what's your use-case for your PSU with +5, +12 and -12, and what do you want it to look like ?

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:09:41 pm »
My moan is that i have a number of fully populated chinese boards on my bench, ie the DDS Sig Gen being one , they seem to mass produce those but no one sells a case to put it in, it seems a bit stupid to me but then thats China for you i guess.

As for a PSU yeah its to power up such things as the K150 or other such boards, I think I am going to buy a ATX psu and shove it in a box with a front on with a 5 pin header output, a USB output and a set of regular binding posts.

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 03:10:01 am »
Check this app note from ti for a fairly simple circuit. I'd buy this on a breakout if it existed. Someone kickstart it

http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/snva010

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 06:25:26 pm »
My moan is that i have a number of fully populated chinese boards on my bench, ie the DDS Sig Gen being one , they seem to mass produce those but no one sells a case to put it in, it seems a bit stupid to me but then thats China for you i guess.

No, it's because the things are designed to be integrated into other products, and as such the case would be superfluous, and expensive to toss in the trash when you buy the thing by the pallet.

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 02:29:14 am »
Anything you want:

https://www.google.com/search?q=project+box&tbm=isch

the whole idea of these cheap modules is that you save money and gain freedom by doing some of it yourself, reusing power supplies, integrating it into other projects etc. I can add it to a box with a mains transformer, or one with a battery pack, or one with an OCXO to better control frequency drift depending on my needs.

There are plenty of self contained products if that is what you want, but you are specifically buying something meant to be a module for you to integrate yourself and then complaining that it is a module you have to integrate yourself.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 02:48:52 am »
Murata do some amazing DC to DC converters.
I have used them plenty of times.
Example: http://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Power-Solutions/NMV0512SC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvGsmoEFRKS8OtZisQN1szF4etjjznIbpY%3d
5VDC input, +/- 12VDC @ 42mA out.
Doesn't look like your device would need a lot of current.
Could be supplied with a 5VDC wall wart.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf