Author Topic: My first FPGA project  (Read 1228 times)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
My first FPGA project
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:01:36 am »
I would like to achieve the following with my first FPGA project...

The plan is to make a memory checksum gadget to work with 6809E motherboards (although the processor will hopefully not be a constraint)...

So... I'm planning to use a FPGA (possibly Lattice MachXO3) with voltage level translation.  The problem is reasonably simple... I drive a bus (16 lines), reading another bus (8 lines).

Interacting with the FPGA will be some form of 'driver' microprocessor (Rpi, Arduino, ESP32 etc), the driver will instruct the FPGA to do the scan and then wait and collect the result.

As time goes on I will add extra functions (e.g. write to address, read single address etc) and take account of bus arbitration with DRAM on DUT etc.

What would people recommend for the driver to FPGA interface?  I2C?  I need a certain amount of logic on the FPGA but should I do that as a FSM or use a free processor core?

Any pointers please?

Also... Ideally I would like DUT operations to be driven by a clock derived from the DUT clock (approx 4MHz)... but that's possibly a different challenge

Thanks in advance

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: My first FPGA project
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:58 am »
Nice applocation for a FPGA.

You dont need a softcore if you have a external MCU. For the interface you want SPI as its fast and needs verry little logic to implement

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, NivagSwerdna

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf