Author Topic: Need to program a ST62T10 mcu, help finding a cheap programmer  (Read 2423 times)

Offline alpherTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What the topic says, chances are that the ST62T10 that I have is "protected" anyway but I think it's still worth a shoot. The actual board that uses it it's sort of obsolete and unobtanium.
I have 2 good working samples and one dead, If I can somehow read the ROM from the good ones and program the new chips that I've ordered from Taiwan (hoping they're the real thing), I will be able to resurrect the dead board. These are the espresso machine touchpad controllers for what it matters.
Anyway my programmer (Wellon VP480) doesn't support this chip, I really don't want to spend
too much on a programmer that does it, let's say around $100 ~ $150 range, as this is going to be a one time job most likely and there is a high probability that the chips that I have are read protected anyway.
So I'm looking to buy a prefferably used programmer that supports a ST62T10 series, USB Serial or Parallel doesn't matter, I can setup a DOS machine for the purpose.
Any pointers?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:22:50 am by alpher »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Need to program a ST62T10 mcu, help finding a cheap programmer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:26:44 am »
First, the bad news: you may have to do some work if you don't want to pay $$$.

Now, the good news:
- this MCU is old enough that even if it's protected, according to https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sps32/mcu_lock.html and http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-630.pdf (very long document) it could be possible to crack it nondestructively with simple fault injection/power glitching
- I managed to find the programming specification (attached), so if you want to write a programmer/reader you should be able to; also, even more good news, if it is really an older ST62T10B and not C revision, there is basically no protection beyond a worthless, easily-cracked "agreement" that device programmers are "supposed" to follow (see page 33) :-DD

If I were you I'd wire up an Arduino or similar to bitbang them in the described test mode and see whether you can read anything.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:46:14 am »
Thanks, actually device that I want to read from is a B series, ST62T10B6, what I want to write to (ordered from Taiwan) is ST62T10C6 . pm sent.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:27:08 pm »
Just a small update, I've managed to program the chip  :) :) .
Bought an used EEtools Topmax programmer, the old parallel port version.
Together with an ancient Thinkpad 390X running the famous windows ME, managed to read the ST62T10 at first try.
When I put ST62T10C it complained about needing to set security  :-DD , anyway I proceeded staight to write the chip and voilla  :-+ :-+ .
The thing worked first time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf