Author Topic: New IDE for STM32 MCUs...  (Read 8737 times)

Offline olkipukkiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New IDE for STM32 MCUs...
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:57 am »
...ops, not really, they (STMicroelectronics) acquired Atollic TrueSTUDIO  :popcorn:

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/media-center/press-item.html/c2839.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:36:50 am by olkipukki »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: New IDE for STM32 MCUs...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:40:39 am »
will soon give STM32 developers a major competitive advantage with the availability of the STM32 TrueSTUDIO IDE for free

Cool  8)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:41:43 pm »
Surprised it took this long for them to have a polished IDE (like mplab or AS), yes I know open system workbench is available, but it did not appear to have a lot of funding/devs.
Some more discussion here: https://community.st.com/thread/45906-stmicroelectronics-acquires-atollic
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:01 am »
MPLAB is polished?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kony

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:19 am »
Do you think the next release of the pro version will be free?

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:01:03 pm »
The other big question is what will happen to TrueStudio's support for other platforms.  I can't see ST putting any more effort into that, which would be a shame.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »
The other big question is what will happen to TrueStudio's support for other platforms.  I can't see ST putting any more effort into that, which would be a shame.

Yes, that's what usually happens afterwards. Support for other platform will be gone for good.

One example: There's a company named Yogitech, making functional safety support libraries for a variety of platforms (thrown in all well known uC vendors here), including STM32. Yogitech was acquired by Intel, just after Intel acquired Altera (which was one of the platforms Yogitech supported). Guess what happened to all platforms but Altera?

Yep, they weren't allowed to support them anymore ... For a giant like Intel, that's a simple way to hinder competitors, as they'll all have to find new ways to support functional safety for their products.

I guess STM was in the need to provide a decent free IDE / debug platform now, since most of their competitors have such stuff (some better, some worse). The Cube SW alone isn't enough, and the http://www.openstm32.org/HomePage IDE - nice try, but below usual standards.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:50 pm »

They won't, same for other vendors also...

Offline jaycee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 01:14:04 pm »
Honestly ? Just give me a gcc toolchain I can drive from code::blocks, makefiles or whatever other system I want :)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:14 pm »
Just give me a gcc toolchain I can drive from code::blocks, makefiles or whatever other system I want :)
That's my usual way, too. In the past I spent some effort to make the CubeMX output usable with my Makefiles ... breaks every time they update CubeMX.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline tboy32

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:43:34 am »
I recently designed a project using a couple STM32's and used Eclipse and the free GNU MCU plugins from https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/. The setup took a long time but after getting it figured out it worked well, although that's the only dev environment I've used for the STM32 so I can't compare it to other solutions.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 01:47:53 am »
this totally sucks...

I've been using atollic on and off (and pretty consistently since it came out with the free lite version) for years. I'm currently using atollic with STM32 on one project but the whole point of using atollic is it just works for LOTS of processors.

Now ST have come along with their moneybag and ruined things for everyone else using atollic for any other processor manufacturer.

funnily enough, the details just showed up in my atollic truestudio IDE while I was using it...
http://blog.atollic.com/early-holiday-gift-from-stmicroelectronics

As far as I'm concerned this is a reason to NOT use STM32 in future projects.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:04:37 am by julianhigginson »

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 01:55:15 am »
also, given ST micro's crappy track record of supporting their hardware with developer tools, I'll be surprised if they keep all of atollic's developers in work. So on top of becoming a locked down crippleware version of its former self,  it's also going to become abandonware and rot away soon enough, till it's as garbage as cubeMX and sw4stm32.

So even STM32 developers are going to be losing a well maintained and tuned professional eclipse/gcc solution in the not so distant future...

PS, they have said that all support for other processors is being dropped for their next release... Maybe a good idea to save a copy of the 8.10 installer for future use if you have any existing non-STM32 projects you need to support in future!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:59:35 am by julianhigginson »

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 02:06:44 am »
Anyway, looks like I'm moving my general arm cortex m development back out of windows, and back to a linux VM...

Or maybe I'll see what that hacky little plugin for VS is like nowdays.... It's been a year, maybe that's improved to the point of being properly useful now.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:01:57 am by julianhigginson »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:28 am »
PS, all support for other processors is being dropped for their next release...

I was wondering if that would happen.  :( The cynical might say that STM don't need to acquire an IDE and this is simply a cheap way for STM to eliminate quality tools used for competitor MCUs.

US companies are sitting on big piles of cash, after they have finished snapping up the big fish, I guess they are turning their attention to the small fry, Eagle, FreeRTOS, Atollic. On the hand, I suspect a business plan for some small companies is to create products that fill a niche for particular vendors, and hope to be bought out.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:18 am »
PS, all support for other processors is being dropped for their next release...

I was wondering if that would happen.  :( The cynical might say that STM don't need to acquire an IDE and this is simply a cheap way for STM to eliminate quality tools used for competitor MCUs.

US companies are sitting on big piles of cash, after they have finished snapping up the big fish, I guess they are turning their attention to the small fry, Eagle, FreeRTOS, Atollic. On the hand, I suspect a business plan for some small companies is to create products that fill a niche for particular vendors, and hope to be bought out.

STMicroelectronics is a French-Italian multinational electronics and semiconductor manufacturer headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:52 am »
Non-US companies may also be sitting on big piles of cash. Use your brain, FFS.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 02:57:00 pm »
Honestly ? Just give me a gcc toolchain I can drive from code::blocks, makefiles or whatever other system I want :)

That's what I would ultimately suggest as well.
Learn how to do without IDEs.

make and gcc are not going to be abandoned any time soon. As long as your target is supported by gcc, you'll probably be fine for maybe decades.
A lot of IDEs actually use a gcc toolchain and makefiles behind the scenes. You can take a look at the generated makefiles to get you started rolling your own.

ARM GNU toolchains can be found here: https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain

Offline douardda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »
I agree the "learn without IDE" approach...

Also you can have a look at  http://platformio.org/ which is a great development environment for embedded and microcontrollers based applications. Based on solid CLI tools, it also provide some IDE-like stuff based on atom or vscode.

David

Envoyé de mon GT-N7105 en utilisant Tapatalk

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 05:00:26 pm »

https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded  works just fine.

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 12:10:56 am »
sorry, but it's not the 70s anymore.

a proper IDE allows you to easily refactor code, dig into structure, chase down objects through the codebase, it allows you to interact with the debugger, and with the advanced features of atollic, to profile execution, to debug your application in awareness of freeRTOS, to communicate with the running application via a terminal over segger RTT, and it allows you to do all of this via a single consistent interface..... All of this doesn't need to be configured manually for every single person in the project who needs to work on it, they just install a single exe file and from there it all just works.

Sure you can replace all this with a bunch of separate things.... and manual configuration of toolchains is possible (yes i can do it) but for a single engineer it's a waste of time, and when you add in a team it becomes worse - you end up with a whole bunch of steps where someone can stuff up and get a non-compliant toolchain. so with a team that means you also need to check everything, not just at setup time to make sure everyone is using all the right things, but regularly in case someone updates something for some reason or some system level config (like say $PATH) just got stomped by something unrelated...... You also have to train everyone on the way each individual tool needs to work, and how to make them work together and then constantly be debugging and verifying everyone's setup... what a waste of time that could just be spent developing a solution!

The following users thanked this post: gocemk, newbrain, TomS_

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 04:16:33 am »
Given that Atollic is mostly a nicely-wrapped Eclipse+embedded tools package (at least the free version is, the pro version has some pretty extensive debugging and profiling tools), it seems like a good opportunity for an open source project to go after the same niche.  There are numerous projects around embedded toolchains, but I don't think I've seen any take that extra step of going "here's a ready-made installer for Windows, one for Mac, and [whatever makes sense for Linux]".  That's a big deal when trying to get takeup among people who don't care to muck around with toolchains and just want to start building their projects.  I was just looking at one where the Windows setup instruction start with "install make. . ."-- nope, you've already lost right there.  It's two thousand fucking seventeen, nobody wants to build your software from source just to see if it sucks or not. 

The following users thanked this post: gocemk, newbrain, julianhigginson, Jacon

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »
That is great news, but I see a huge overlap with systemworkbench. Also, it would be nice if their example code was more useful.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:39 pm »
sorry, but it's not the 70s anymore.

a proper IDE allows you to easily refactor code, dig into structure, chase down objects through the codebase, it allows you to interact with the debugger, and with the advanced features of atollic, to profile execution, to debug your application in awareness of freeRTOS, to communicate with the running application via a terminal over segger RTT, and it allows you to do all of this via a single consistent interface..... All of this doesn't need to be configured manually for every single person in the project who needs to work on it, they just install a single exe file and from there it all just works.

Sure you can replace all this with a bunch of separate things.... and manual configuration of toolchains is possible (yes i can do it) but for a single engineer it's a waste of time, and when you add in a team it becomes worse - you end up with a whole bunch of steps where someone can stuff up and get a non-compliant toolchain. so with a team that means you also need to check everything, not just at setup time to make sure everyone is using all the right things, but regularly in case someone updates something for some reason or some system level config (like say $PATH) just got stomped by something unrelated...... You also have to train everyone on the way each individual tool needs to work, and how to make them work together and then constantly be debugging and verifying everyone's setup... what a waste of time that could just be spent developing a solution!

I have been on both sides of the fence. I started with ARM and windows and a developed tool chain, then I went to a company that was Linux and everything was in the command line.  At the end of the day, it is about what your company is wiling to support (and the pride that the software people have). For me, the best option is what would appease everyone. Just because you use an IDE does not mean you cannot do it without an IDE, also. That is how it eventually went at my last company. You had to make minor changes, but we were able to make everything work whether you use an IDE or if you preferred the command line and some notepad editor.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
I agree the "learn without IDE" approach...

Also you can have a look at  http://platformio.org/ which is a great development environment for embedded and microcontrollers based applications. Based on solid CLI tools, it also provide some IDE-like stuff based on atom or vscode.

David

Envoyé de mon GT-N7105 en utilisant Tapatalk

I was sold until i realized you have to pay for the debugger.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf